Honda CB750 Sandcast

Name That Cylinder: K0? Late K0? Early K1......?

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Got different cylinders left.

I assume the cylinder on top is older, has a different surface and some other differences.

Can you help to identify?

Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

greggo325

• View Profile
The top cylinder is older, and would be correct for sandcast and early K0 motors.  There is no boss for the head bolt in front of the cam chain tunnel that came on later engines.  The older set is sandcast, and the other is diecast.  You can see the three hexagonal diecast tooling marks on the under side of the later cylinders. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:34:57 am by greggo325 »

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Thank you so much.
I assume the older one was the original cylinder from my bike.

You mentioned "diecast". Does this mean K0 diecast or just any diecast K0-K6 ... ?

Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

greggo325

• View Profile
Thank you so much.
I assume the older one was the original cylinder from my bike.

You mentioned "diecast". Does this mean K0 diecast or just any diecast K0-K6 ... ?

I think everything after the sandcast molds changed were all the same, so K0 diecast-K6.  There may be very slight differences, but I'm not sure, and the value would likely be the same as any later set of cylinders up to K6.  The sandcast ones are valuable.

Cheers!
Gregg

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Sandcast" cylinders WITH the extra bolt hole at the front of the cam chain tunnel were fitted until mid way through K1 production, followed by a number of different die cast cylinders as Honda continued to refine the engine all the way through to the final Supersports variants in '78.

Chris R
Chris R.
302/338

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile