Honda CB750 Sandcast

'Top Dog' BSA Rocket 3 vs Honda CB750

UK Pete

• View Profile
For what its worth i enjoyed the video, i have never been a fan of bike testers and their reveiws mainly because whatever bike they are testing they make you feel like there is better to be had , so you go to the reveiws of the better bike only to find the same, there is never the perfect bike
but the cb 750 sold in such numbers that it must have done it for a lot of people, so that says it all, i wonder if the Rocket 3 was all original, or weather it had non original parts?   it makes me happy that people are still talking about our early bikes and calling them iconic and legendary,
pete

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For correctness, Keith Newton did NOT restore the first sandcast in the Uk in '85. The bike he restored, UK registration YLY70H was a die cast engined bike, being famous in the UK for being the bike used by the UK motorcycle press in various magazine road tests of the day. Keith was certainly one of the first to restore a CB750 in the UK, although that "honour" may actually belong to a guy called Eric Warburton who restored another early UK die cast, AYU 972H which feaures in Pete Shoemarks book "CB750 Super profile" (published in 1983, so definitely pre-dates Keith Newtons restoration).
Back in the mid '80's here in the UK, the existence of sandcasts was generally not known, no production sandcasts ever being officially imported into the UK in '69.
As an aside, I understand that Keith Newton actually owned one of the original late pre-production CB750's in the mid '80's and did  deal to SWAP it for the die cast engined UK road test bike YLY70H, the restoration of which he then carried out and completed in 1985.

Cheers - Chris R. 
Chris R.
302/338

CBman

• View Profile
hondasan: thanks for info. Sorry I was wrong. I remember I read about this bike few years ago and I remember it was valued 5k Pounds, which I thought was for sandy. But 5k for diecast in the 80s..........? If he really changed pre-production for diecast, maybe he is frustrated now.

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Link to one of the 'youngsters' Website. Good on him, I say, making a living restoring and selling iconic bikes.

Cosmo's Classics

http://www.cosmoclassic.co.uk/index.htm

Here is amagazine  article on the 'Top Dog'

http://cdnimages.uniquemagazines.co.uk/LookInside/Classic%20Motorcycle%20Mechanics2/HTML/index.html#/10/zoomed

You have probably all seen this one before ---- but just in case (or for any youngster out there!)

Honda 'CB750 Four' 1975 750cc - Bike Review

Cheers .............. Ash

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:52:30 pm by ashimotok0 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Some good stories there Ash Thanks for sharing
Yabba Dabba KP

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Some good stories there Ash Thanks for sharing
  ;) yes ash  youtube rules
 sad init  that youtube makes for better viewing than tv  they didn't see that one coming  :-*

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
An other video - Vic World bike being uncrated

Dear Ash;

A high resolution photo from same bike, a beatiful restoration from Vic World.

Marcello