Honda CB750 Sandcast

Vic World selling Pre-Production Bike

vnz00 · 50 · 12610

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
pictures taken by Kevin Dodge, 3 days after he got the bike.  April 4, 2006.

CBman

• View Profile
Thatīs really a great piece of history. If if can see Late pre-production model. So what happened with the early pre-production bike, showed in Tokyo and all first brochures ?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thatīs really a great piece of history. If if can see Late pre-production model. So what happened with the early pre-production bike, showed in Tokyo and all first brochures ?

supposedly the engine and a few other pieces exist.

chrisnoel

• View Profile
Weather it hits reserve or not in this auction the cat is out of the bag so to speak.  I imagine he must be interested in actually selling or he wouldn't have encored the auction fee's.  Wouldn't be surprised if this auction comes and goes but the sale happens later.  Just hope that it doesn't get swept under the rug in a private collection never to be seen.  Would be nice if someone who intends to bring it out once in a while for the rest of us to gawk at picks it up.  Perhaps we'll get to see it around 2019 even if the owner remains nameless.

CBman

• View Profile
There was just retracted bid in amount of 150k. Was the reserve met by this bid ? It is exiting to see this auction and it is very difficult to guess the selling price. 200-250k ?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
really impossible to name a value on this bike.  this auction will set a precedent for valuation of this bike.  it will be valuated by what the auction market can bear, whether or not it meets reserve.  

until the 2110 gold brighton bike is restored, this bike is a one of a kind factory prototype of the production models that followed.  even if 2110 is restored, this blue-green 2113 was and is "the shot heard round the world."

i've always believed, if the timing is 'right' for the 'right' party and this party is aware of this bike at the time it's available for sale, it'd sell for $250k at least.

however unlikely, in the future, i hope the bike does not go into deep hiding and can be seen for the appreciation of sandcast lovers.

Riccardo

• View Profile
however unlikely, in the future, i hope the bike does not go into deep hiding and can be seen for the appreciation of sandcast lovers.

The past month of january I had a telephone conversation about two and a half hours with Vic, has not been easy because my english is not so good.

An extraordinary person.

I don't know the personal reasons that push Vic selling the bike, I have no interest in this.

Honestly I think Vic is and remains one of the few people in the (sandcast) world who can be the owner of this bike, or I hope it ends in Honda Museum in Japan, so can be for everyone.

riccardo

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:13:09 pm by Riccardo »
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

markb

• View Profile
Extraordinary bike too!  I would think that the sale of this one would bring the prices of all sandcasts up.  Good for the ones that are owned but not so good for someone whose looking for them or even just parts.  Any opinions on that?
Maybe I missed this along the way but why is the VIN 2113?
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

CBman

• View Profile
Reserve is gone. This bike can help sandy to increase the selling price. But on the other side Yamia will decrease the price of non original Sandy. Nowadays there can exists for example  2000 units in good/restored condition. With Yamia restored bikes there can be back 7400 units. Last year we have seen for sale as many Sandys as never before. And many Sandys in good condition  were sold for same price as worse condition 2-3 years back. If somebody will make repro for himselve, OK. But if somebody is doing repro parts and selling them, it canīt be lover of these bikes.  I know some cases, where some bikes exits in bigger numbers, than really were produced ! And only due the repro parts. This is the biggest danger for Sandys and all bikes general.

Nielsen

• View Profile
I am agree with CBman in some way, but there will not become any new frames and engine cases with correct numbers.
We do not know how many there are left, but I am sure that many are melted long time ago. I think prices will differ more than now from the very very early examples to the latest exampels. The same for originality to repro.

dirfri#69

• View Profile
Hello, interesting to see at what price this bike is.
I you restore my Biks # 69/53 # 412/376 # 2577/2578 share only with original what a lot of time and money Costs.
# 69 Dirk

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
speculation on my part...... 

it's likely the "2" is significant in "2"110, "2"111, so forth and so on.

i believe probable the early pp bike with the different s.cover badges was could have been numbered beginning "1" or "1"xxx or what ever.

i believe possible the "2" indicates the late pp bikes to be 2nd in the pp series. 

it would seem to make sense the early pp bike had a "1" as the first digit of the vin.

why "10," "11", "12" and "13?"    why not 2001, 2002, etc... ?  good question.  maybe because there 9 other late pp units before 2110.... ?  and these units were used as test mules before the following 4 machines were presented at the Las Vegas dealer convention......... ?  these first 9 late pp bikes never left Japan, were used only for testing purposes and were seen only by the folks at Honda....... ?

as i said, speculation on my part.

markb

• View Profile
Sounds plausible to me.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

myhondas

• View Profile
Steve,

Yes it's been awhile since you have heard from me.... and yes I do jump on the site now and then....still have my orange K4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the pre-production test bikes have a drum front brake. I think I remember seeing pictures of those in the Bob's talk at 09 VMD. I would believe that those would predate this bike. Currently this one is at $121K with a whole week to go on the auction.

ray