Honda CB750 Sandcast

Web Site Changes

Wayne · 116 · 33538

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great stuff! I'll have to weed through this stuff at a later date once the new format is "live" and we can certainly enhance / compliment the content currently on the site.

OK, I have moved any content from the existing site, over to the new format for Frame Group F9, Fuel tank and Petcock. Please review what we had here:
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/support12.htm

And the new format for Group F9, Fuel tank and Petcock.
http://www.cb750sandcastonly.com/new/tech/frame_group_9.html

Let me know if you find any errors or if I'm telling lies. I kinda make sh*t up as I go! ;)

If we are good to go with Group F9 I would like to move to F11, Air Cleaner Case - Element.

I don't think we discovered anything new on air boxes. 2 - hole no reliefs. 2 - hole with reliefs and the later 3 hole with reliefs. I'm going to try and find some pictures that aren't already marked up to work with. If anyone has any of these air boxes off and painted up pretty, some pictures of the top half, straight down from both outside and inside would be great! email: sandcast750@gmail.com

Thanks!
[size=

4pots1969

• View Profile
This first picture,  I think that it is very definitely the Prototype Blue of pre-production being assembled that the "Big Boss" has sold on Ebay..??
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:44:20 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Bob Jameson used those pictures in his 2009 VMD presentation.

Bob stated the first picture is the assembly of the first production CB750-1000001.  The men around the machine are the engineers responsible for the development of the CB750.   The are not factory workers.  The evidence this is a production machine:  the black plastic sub-fender extends all the way back to rear upper frame loop that the seat rests on.  The late pre-prod steel fender extended all the way to and was attached with behind battery box with two bolts.

The second picture is the banked test track of Saitama.  The riders could run the machine wide open at top speed around the entire track.  Bob said it was a  "frightening experience."

Interesting aside:  the Blue-Green late pre-prod bike CB750-2113, had no provision for tray for tool kit.  As seen in pictures below, one can also see how rear fender attaches to frame, unlike production bike shown in pictures.  Those two pictures of 2113 are credited to Vic World.

Riccardo

• View Profile
Steve really has the eyes of a hawk!   👍👍👍👍👍
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

4pots1969

• View Profile
Yes, you have Eagle eyes of Mercantour!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:24:39 pm by 4pots1969 »

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wayne, you are dy-no-mite  ;D ;D ;D ;D

lol Thanks Steve. I'm just trying really hard to stay occupied this winter. I have 2 projects in the garage I should be working on but I'm not up to it from a health standpoint. I'm determined to get the site transitioned over.... before spring!   :o
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:06:06 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK, onto air boxes. This is the description of air boxes currently on our site. I'll wordsmith it and trim down the verbiage a bit.

SANDCAST AIRCLEANERS
For those that didn’t know, there are in fact three types of  “Sandcast” air cleaner box which I have simply referred
to as the 2 hole and the 3 hole air cleaner box. This is simply stated; early sandcast air boxes are held on to the frame by a bracket
which attaches to the air box top by 2 fixing points, whereas the later type has 3 fixing points. The 2 hole air box also has 2 variations

(identified by Chris Rushton). The variation is that very early 2 hole air boxes have no frame indents and this is easily seen in the

red air box (bottom) picture. No one can say with authority at what VIN these changes were made.

In relation to the 3 hole fixing arrangement, this modification was carried over into later production years and remained on all future

SOHC CB 750 models. Yeah, yeah I hear the more knowledgeable say. But how many of us know that there are other significant

differences between the three air boxes. Yes indeedie

Unless you have had them side by side or possess an early and later type, you’ve probably thought that the bracket was
the only difference. Here are pictures of all air box types (tops only) which show the differences. I haven’t been able
to identify any differences with the bottom halves. Another difference is the brackets themselves. The 2 hole is not a cut
down 3 hole bracket, rather, there are subtle differences in the overall dimensions of each type. With a bit of work you could alter a 3
hole to match a 2 hole if you are stuck for an original. There may have been other variations with these early type air cleaner boxes

(as Chris discovered), but this is what we know to date. If you have discovered other differences please add to this contribution. Cheers KP

The way I see it we have 3 air cleaner designs.

Early Production 2 - Hole - No relief's

Mid Production 2 - Hole - With relief's

Late Production 3 - Hole - With relief's

As well KP has identified a difference in the stays (brackets) which I will add to the page as items 3 and 4 under F-11

I could use some fresh pictures to work with if anyone has any of these air boxes off a bike. Taken as shown here, from top side and underside, straight down would be perfect. I need pic's of al 3 iterations.

If there's more we have leaned let me know and I'll add the information.

The second picture is what I would call a "Mid Production - 2 - Hole - With Relief's" Correct me if my way of thinking is warped. ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:19:35 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I put together descriptions of the air box features. Have a look and let me know if I missed anything or if changes should be made.

http://www.cb750sandcastonly.com/new/tech/frame_group_11.html

Still looking for pic's of air boxes as shown above. All 3 iterations inside and top side.

sandcast750@gmail.com

Thanks!
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As much as I hated to, I used an early production repop 2 hole box for illustrative purposes on the page. If anyone emails me originals I'll change them.

I need to find pic's of the mid run 2 hole case with indents and a late 3 hole, top and inside for illustrative purposes. Anyone? Have a look at the page to get an idea of the angles I'm after. Thanks.

[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Completed the section with content we have on the exiting site under this page:
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/support12.htm#Airbox

In the new format the Air case section looks like this:

Frame Group F11 - Air Cleaner - Case - Element
2 - CASE, COMP - air cleaner

Have a look at let me know if I made any errors, if there are any problems, view problems etc.

Next I want to move onto the Carb's as that content exists on our current site. I have lots of good images but i'm going to need help with the script. I'll post what I have soon.

Thank you to those contributing to this changeover.  

[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Wayne, as usual, you are doing fantastic work.  I believe it is best for me to defer to KP, Chris and Mark on the airbox topic.  they have all seen these or some of these original airboxes.  i have not.  i live vicariously through SOOC.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Steve. Like I said I just took information the way I interpreted it and put it in the new format. I'll have a look at the distinctions list to see if vin breakpoints are there for the various cover designs. Errors can be changed easily if brought to my attention.

On to the carbs. Not much verbiage on the existing site. Anyone wanna take a shot at a quick summary / overview of carbs for the sandcast? I'll wordsmith it, add images etc.
[size=

markb

• View Profile
I have an original 2-hole, no recess airbox.  Unfortunately it is out for painting right now.  When I get it back I can supply photos if you like.  BTW it came off 1553. 
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Wayne, going into "Production Models" on the website, under "Carburetor I-II (Keihin)" and "Carburetor III-IV (Keihin)" there is brake hose information....... !? About the only thing i can say about that is, years ago, i loaded all the info i knew into the Engine Group and Chris loaded all the information he knew in the Frame group.

I do see in "Tech/Restoration Support" i have pics of my 232's carbs as seen in fuel system.  Not alot of info there.  unfortunately, my carbs are not able to in my hand for inspection because they are on the bike.  232's carbs would be the same as any other early type carbs on earlier vins. 

The one distinguishing feature is the brass with tubes pressed in and parallel with the float bowl joint surface.

Looking in "Distinctions" in DB, #12, states 66 mm choke arm up through vin 1120, then 52 mm thereafter.  One of the problems as i was compiling this Distinctions list was that, while i had 232's parts in my hand, 4363 was already an assembled machine.  So i was not inclined ot dismantle 4363 to examine and compare parts for differences.   That's where Vic has truly become the "expert" because he has seen so many of these different range vins separately and together at the same time.  That's why i have relied on the observations of the members of SOOC to write in what they find, so we can all benefit through shared observations.

So, if other members have observations they can share between differences in parts, that's helpful.  and very much needed.

And in Mark's meticulous documentation on #97, i am assuming there are some differences distinctions as well as other member's builds that have not made it into the 88 Distinctions list which is now probably well over 100 distinctions.

Wayne, you've taken on a monumental job producing stellar results.  Bo should be proud his row of machines will grace SOOC's introductory web page.  i was visiting with Vic the other evening, he sends his highest compliments to what you are doing as well as his regrets he can't be involved.  He truly supports the club, but on the other hand, he is kept very busy with work.