Honda CB750 Sandcast

374/E379 on ebay again

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-/331601646847?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d34ff94ff&item=331601646847

i have heard this story (before this ad) of engines and chassis being shipped separately to California to be assembled....  What evidence supports this story ?

Difficult to believe, considering 2 different Honda factory set up and delivery manuals show bike in factory crate with engine in chassis.  and, there are pictures of Japanese workers on the assembly line fitting frames to engines.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
So, i contacted Vince about the bikes being assembled in California.  

Out of curiosity, have any of you seen this mis-information on this website ?  

If so.....  can you reference where you saw it ?  

if this mis-information can be found on this website, it needs to be gotten rid of immdiately.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Steve, Here is the question which I put :

70   General Category / General Discussion / French Sandcast with a very low number..  on: February 01, 2015, 07:29:57 AM  
Here is a picture of the only known French Sandcast is sold in France with a very low number of VIN-1000293 E-1000313.
A French legend that tells that it was part of a shipment in France of sixty thirteen Honda CB750 Sandcast
"labeled California" = Assembled in California??  Who would have information on it?

Thanks, Gerard
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:36:56 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hmm.  Interesting.  I would suggest the crate or bill of lading labeled "California" was the destination.  In other words, the bikes came from Japan to California. 

I don't have any evidence to support my belief, bikes exported to North America, were brought to American Honda in California.

I won't believe any 750's were sent in parts to be assembled in California until evidence is produced to prove otherwise.

Honda sending parts or components to be assembled to motorcycles to be sent to dealers for retail sales does not make sense for a number of reasons.  Liability.  Quality control.  Warranty.   

Of course, i understand there may be exceptions.  If tgere are, I'd sure like to KNOW what they were.

4pots1969

• View Profile
If this story crossed The Atlantic Ocean to arrive up to our ears in France, it is because she was not able to be invented and has my opinion there should be an element of truth... Maybe that Vic could have informations...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:32:33 am by 4pots1969 »

CBman

• View Profile
Don´t know about any bike assambled in US. All magazines I have, and also japanese books, there is written, that production start in Japan. Also in several US magazines you can read, that customers were waiting for container full of CB from Japan.
Imagination about CB assambly in California is silly, and this is not only one myth about CB750.
John

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wonder what Bob Jameson would have to say about this "story", having been involved in CB750 devoplment through to production back in '69.

Anyone able to contact him to get a view?

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
R.I.P.
a very lucky guy to be at the very forefront of  the very first super bike
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:36:51 pm by steff750 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
So, i asked Vic World about his thoughts on chassis and engines sent to California for assembly.  Here is his reply, cut and pasted as sent to me.

"Actually, In July of 1969 Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong took the first frame and engine with them to the moon, assembled most of it on the boring 4 day trip there, and were just left to attaching the tank emblems (on the lunar surface).
In fact, if you listen, you can hear him say "That's one small emblem for man, and one large motorcycle for mankind".

I think the above sounds more credible...doesn't it?"

4pots1969

• View Profile
I do not like this kind of humor with this mixture of contempt... This answer looks like has of the pissing around...
It is far from giving me the smile...>:(
Gerard
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:00:22 am by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Steve thank you, don't be sorry you just quoted...
And where "The Single Overhead Cam Four Owners Club" has t-il found this information which are completely false?
It does not make very serious.. But at the same time they say that the clutch cover Sandcast has 10 holes and the diecast has 11 of it... Without comment!!

The sandcast engines were fitted only to the earliest 1969 models. The first thousand bikes were hand built, mostly in California, as Honda tested the market for this new model. Most of these bikes would have been registered prior to August 1969. A good resource for owners of these highly collectible early CB750′s is the Honda CB750 Sandcast Only Owners Club. You’ll find lots of good information there including details on changes to the bikes in the early years and photos and analysis of the early production bikes.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3614

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:11:39 am by 4pots1969 »

kmb69

• View Profile
Steve, I found it quite humorous. Especially since that is just as likely a scenario as assembly in California. Never happened mainly for the reasons you described earlier.

For those who might be offended, I would suggest to take it easy - lighten up. Pretty sure I love the Sandy's as much as anyone, 20+ at last count, but it is not religion - well maybe to some.  ;D ;D ;D

The first 2 digit delivered to Pasadena Honda, here in Texas, came from GN Gonzales, the Honda importer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I know that was a factory crated bike because I personally uncrated and assembled it. Also pretty sure most of the low serials that hit Canada were imported through the Honda importer in New Jersey.

I asked myself how do these fables, with no basis in fact, germinate, propagate, and find their way into print? Unbelievable! When I read this kind of stuff in a listing, it makes me wonder how credible the balance of information might be. Pretty sure this is at least the 3rd time for this bike to be listed. Certainly hope he sells it and gets the money he's asking but that kind of misinformation dissuades me from being interested. IMHO, he would do himself and the Sandcast Community a big favor by removing that (^%$ from his listing.

*** Just read Gerard's post. The intro on this Sandcast Only Website should be changed as there is NO, zero, nada, none, evidence to support it. DID NOT HAPPEN. IMHO. ***
*** "Our" credibility is on the line ***
*** "We" would do the Sandcast Community a big favor by removing such nonsense. ***

Wayne???????????????????????

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:42:29 am by kmb69 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
This website IS the most objective,  evidence based source of infornation on CB750 sandcast machines on the internet.  There is no other website i would consider a worthy source of information on anything sandcast.

I don't feel there's anything objectionable with making fun of anything we hold close and passionately.

Over the years, I've heard so many fables about so many motorcycles by so many well intended motorcycle rider/owners.  The best story i ever heard was a very sincere fellow telling me his CB750 would go over 170 mph.   As well, the internet has no shortage of garbage information written by sincere people or those stroking their egos.

I agree full heartedly with Keith,  very little in this everyday life is worth taking very seriously and in the big scheme of things, least of all motorcycles, much less CB750 sandcast motorcycles.   Rule 62 says, "Don't take yourself so seriously."

In reference to sandcasts being assembled in California, as the old gal in the hamburger ad asked, "Where's the beef?"

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
sohc4 also purports pictorial evidence of a chrome paneled, drum braked prototype CB750 built by Bob Brooks.  I personally discussed on the phone this machine with Bob Brooks.  Bob built this machine from production sandcast parts, production CB750 parts and production CB450 parts.  Bob himself made up the sidecover badges unique to the early pre-production CB750.   Bob himself told me, "It was a project i made up for the fun of it." 

Yet, many believe this bike to be some factory authentic machine.  In fact, it IS a make believe iteration.