Honda CB750 Sandcast

sandcast 1378 on Ebay - very nice!

Kevin M · 14 · 3445

Kevin M

• View Profile
Sandcast 1378 with E1629.  Really nice, well-documented concourse restoration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-/131541300145?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1ea078f3b1&item=131541300145

Bet someone hits the Buy It Now at $25K before the week is out.
2293/E2456
2565/E2734

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks!

Thats my bike. I'll miss it, but I have another one on the way!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
By the way, my bike didn't sell. I'm surprised.

The good news is that I still have it and will hold on to it until the right buyer comes along.

Any advice on how to convince the wife that it belongs in the living room?  ;D
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

CBman

• View Profile
To be honest, Iīm not surprised. Although it is very nice resto, to sell Sandcast over 20k with so many Yamiya repro parts and not correct engine would be little surprise. Trully collector will not pay you for repro parts.
Also you are telling you have Dunlop F6 on the front, but what I see from the picture is cheap F11 front.
Maybe these are the reasons.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi CBman

Thanks for you compliment.

The front tire is indeed an F11. My mistake on that one. They are certainly not cheap though! I have a spare F6 that I will put on the bike.

What makes you say that the engine is incorrect? Ive been told by several sandcast gurus that the engine and frame should be within 300 of each other.

My understanding was that Yamiya parts are the best way to go when the original parts are not available. Fo instance, Vic's bikes have many Yamiya parts as we all know (exhaust, fenders and more). Originals would be better of course, but the Yamiya parts are excellent quality!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I did have a lot of people thank me for being so explicit in my description of the bike.

Perhaps others aren't so honest.
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

CBman

• View Profile
Hi Ujeni,
first, I didnīt mean my previous comment any badly. As I said, your restoration is very high level.
About engine, I just mean, that engine is incorrect for this frame number, because originally on the bill of sale would be this frame with any other engine. And this is very important for collectors. Same with Yamiya parts. NO trully collector and bike lover will pay so much money for replica parts. Yamia parts are very high level, but still not original one. At this moment I donīt mean original part which should be in original colour (it is ofcourse the best way), but original part, even painted, or refinished. Every replica and not matching engine-frame numbers will put the value down, because the bike is missing original story. Also your frame was modified little bit I think, which is also very important for collectors. I have some friends and they have some friends collecting exiting bikes and are prepared to pay high price, but bike should have original parts, not replica.
This was just only my explanation, why Iīm not surprised the bike didnīt sell for higher price, even it was restored very well with all your love you put in it.
Also with the tire. My recommend is to be very exact in the describtion, because this F11 tire could make some buyer wondering you are telling true or not.
regards,
John

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hi Ujeni,
For information, your Brake Master Cylinder is not the good model, I think... And not mention "Turn" on Switch assy left.
Very very beautiful machine however... ;)
Gerard
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:51:22 am by 4pots1969 »

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

I can't say I agree with some of the things CBman and 4pots1969 are saying, but I don't want this thread to get ugly.

For now, I can say that I am happy with how the bike turned out as are the many bike enthusiasts who have seen it in person at the shows that I have brought it to. Its not easy to put your work up for the public to see.

Everyone's a critic right?  ::)
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Diecast #16608

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
My Sandcast, frame #6457 and engine #7083, arrived in Brazil zero miles in early 1970, and is the only one Sandcast in Brazil. I agree 100% with Ueji, that the engine is correct for the frame.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
1628-1371=251.  imho, nothing wrong there.

that LH t.s. switch arouses suspicion as to what else may not be correct on bike.

What available ribbed Dunlop/Bridgestone alternative is there to the F11?

CBman

• View Profile
Maybe I interpreted it wrong. If we ask if this engine number can be in this frame number, we say YES, it is period.
But because UJeni asked me why the engine is not correct for this frame number, the answer is easy. If you call to factory to ask, if engine number 1628 was in the bike with frame number 1378, sure they say NO.
Also Ujeni was wondering why the bike didnīt sell. If you tell story that you found engine, and then you were finding corect frame and other parts, you canīt be surprised there will be much less buyers than if you have complete bike with complete story.  Idea of putting different parts together and to sell it for price as complete original package is wrong, doesnīt matter if Sandcast, Z1, RC30 or any other bike.
For sure with Ujeniīs #410 it will be another story.
When talking about #410, Ujeni, your picture of Sandcast anatomy with all the parts before been put together is for me maybe the most exciting picture of sandcast!

kmb69

• View Profile
If you call to factory to ask, if engine number 1628 was in the bike with frame number 1378, sure they say NO.
These Sandcast bikes were produced long before such records were computerized and they were manually recorded. American Honda, who issued the MSO's (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) for these bikes in the US, cannot or will not provide this information. We have tried. Highly doubtful that Honda of Japan would either.

4pots1969

• View Profile
He is certain that 410 is full of promise!!
He is strongly regrettable for us that Honda Japon did not preserve an official listing of correspondence Frame/Engine... Strange when we know the accuracy of the Japanese..