Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast worldwide distribution

Nielsen

• View Profile
I have been told by Peter Ovesen who imported my SC that 5 SC`S were imported to Denmark in those days. I do not know if any of theese exists today but as far as I know there are about 5 SC`s today in Denmark.

/Nielsen

Erling

• View Profile
What is understood by "imported"? By Peter Owesen.
That he did not by it through the official appointed Honda dealer?
Did he get it directly from Honda Japan? Or Sweden?
       Erling.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm showing my age but I recall in 1968 and 1969, Honda was not the most desirable motorcycle marque around The dominance was European and English brands with a smidgen of US models. Whilst I have no evidence to back up my thoughts other than memory, I do know that there was no Honda Australia in 1969 ( I could also be very wrong here as well) I recall that Bennet Honda were the agents in Australia. I also understand that Canadian bikes were sourced through American Honda either as agents or via them to a Canadian agent. (again I may be well off the marks I have no evidence). My point is that it would stand to reason that many European countries in 1969 didn't have country agents rather they were like Australia and had wholesale/retail dealers doing the importing on behalf of Honda Japan. It seems to me that Factory Wholesalers were not country specific until well after 1969. Up until mid 1969 the largest motorcycle produced by Honda was the memorable CB450 or "Black Bomber" as we knew them. The English and german bikes were dominant up to the introduction of the CB750 so I suspect that whilst the figures state that certain countries received the early CB750s there is no reason to assume all those bikes were destined to be only available to the country of import/delivery
Remember that 'sandcast' was not even a consideration in 1969, rather it was the CB750 super four. I doubt a VIN number had any significance to anyone or any country.
On another note I remember in 1969 that the Honda four CB750 was flagged as Jap Junk for months/years over British brands. My mate bought a 70 Boneville and believed it was the best thing on the road. I had a Bridgestone 350GTR which blew him away every time we did our boy racer thing. I believe it wasn't until the K1 that things started really moving here in Australia. I do remember one thing; I only ever wanted a CB750K (they were never known as K0 then) The CB750 K1 was nice but for me the K was the bike to own. Later Jimmys
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
"Remember that 'sandcast' was not even a consideration in 1969, rather it was the CB750 super four. I doubt a VIN number had any significance to anyone or any country."

When we were out at the 2009 VMD, Bob Jameson told me he did not know the clutch cover had 9 holes "until you guys came along," in contrast to later covers, not yet in existence, would have 10.

KP is right on with 'sandcast' not being a consideration in 68-69.  In 68-69, Honda's primary concern was producing motorcycles in mass quantity, which Honda did not yet know if the units would be commercially successful.  Honda knew they would be technologically successful.  Honda wanted to place in the retail buying consumer's hands a motorcycle that was trouble free, easy to maintain, looked attractive.  Before Honda entered this frontier, four cylinder motorcycles were seen as high maintenance, expensive and not trouble free.  Prior to the CB750, the average owner could not just hop on a four cylinder motorcycle and travel long distance without concern.

Restorers look at motorcycles as a collection of parts.  Each part to be examined and compared to other parts..    We examine and compare parts for reasons different than someone in the manufacturing industry.

Erling

• View Profile
When I had my first BMW in '61 the dealer had just sold the first Honda Benly 125.
He claimed it could follow the english twins when they rode to Sweden to watch the Saxtorp Moto Grand prix!
When the 450 came I thought it not to be that much faster than my R69S BMW.
But the first spy photo of a 750 Honda four in an english magazine made me ask for one.
He claimed never to have heard of such a thing.
Took maybe about a year till such a model arrived mid August '69.
The one he pulled out of the shop for me to hear had engine vin 777!
A BMW have same F and E vins, so I did not check the frame.
I could not have that one. He wanted it for himself!
The KO distinction did not appear till the K1 demanded a previous model of a Honda CB 750.
      Erling.

Erling

• View Profile
Ok just as I remember the world of yesteryear.
No talk of Jap Junk in my memory.
The rev range maybe. Similar to 30 years before!
An old college at work still rode his 1931 New Imperial 500 single. 16 bhp.
A dealer talked him on to a DKW 250 two stroke with 18bhp!
He was unhappy indeed. No bottom end push. More revs were an unknown world to him!
There were cb 250 and 305 on the roads in early sixties.
Friend had an english Quaife 5 speed gear box in his 305.
I just thought they were too small.
There were of cause the Danish 750 Nimbus four cylinder. But 22 bhp?
Boy hood dream was an Ariel square four 1000!
No longer in production when I came off age. And by then know to be fragile!
Massive look of the engine in a 700 cc Royal Enfield Interceptor twin fascinated me too.
            Erling.

Nielsen

• View Profile
What is understood by "imported"? By Peter Owesen.
That he did not by it through the official appointed Honda dealer?
Did he get it directly from Honda Japan? Or Sweden?
       Erling.
No, Peter imported it from the US about the year 2003 or so.
/Nielsen