Honda CB750 Sandcast

Is this Steve's Old Bike for sale in the UK ?

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep, that's Steve's restored 4363 all right. Somebody has changed the seat as the original seat on that bike was a pristine original.
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Wonder if the 'bike of his dreams' is YLY 70H at auction next month in the UK at Stafford Bonhams Auction (CB750 Diecast 'Press' bike) . Or has the Brighton Bike come up fore sale? Doubt the latter but you never know...miracles do happen. The original seat was gorgeous .. no further comment about it's removal.

See my scan here on YLY 70H

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/19sxpkf3e02mo06/AAC-IdT6o6KY1KwpJl4s8p-Ma?dl=0

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:06:01 am by ashimotok0 »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah! So it was removed. Seems the tool kit went also as that's certainly not original bagging, knowing Mr Swan like I do. I've asked the seller about the bag and tools. It is a pity such a good bike is presented so poorly. The pictures are very ordinary and limited.
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Ah! So it was removed. Seems the tool kit went also as that's certainly not original bagging, knowing Mr Swan like I do. I've asked the seller about the bag and tools. It is a pity such a good bike is presented so poorly. The pictures are very ordinary and limited.

Ha Ha KP .. I also asked him why the seat is not the original and tool kit ... couldn't resist it. Expecting flak back   :) .

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes well! He represents the bike as a restoration by "a world renowned restorer" but then s/he removes the man's actual work from the bike. Not good form IMHO  :o
I doubt we will get any flack Ash as it seems to be the truth of the matter
The seller's words seem now to have less sincerity following these noted removals. A shame for the reputation of the restorer and certain questions on the credibility for the seller. I'm happy to pen this comment for all to see including the possible buyer
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
for the record: 

Re:  4363/E4540

1.  the seat and tool kit i sold with bike are not the seat and tool kit represented in the pictures.

2.  2003, to complete the restoration, i fitted a DSS seat.  prior to purchase and receipt of the DSS seat, i did not know what a DSS seat looked like and i was unwilling to justify the going price of an original seat.

3.  the DSS seat was simply wrong in appearance to original, i could not live with it.  around 2004 i purchased a like new original seat off ebay for between $900 and $1000.  in fact Manfred Doering and i were bidding against each other for that seat.  When i received the original seat,  i took the DSS seat off 4363 and sold it.  installed the original seat to replace the DSS seat.

4.  i sold 4363 with the original seat (and tool kit) in 2014 to a gentleman by name of Mick Raffle who in turn sold the bike in 2015 to the gentleman who is currently attempting sale of 4363.  (in fact, the "properties" of the picture reveal these pictures were taken May, 27, 2014, shortly after 2 pm.)

5. i have included a picture of 4363 going together in my shop with the DSS seat installed.  ("properties" show this picture to be dated May 2, 2003 shortly after 6 pm.)

6.  current seller notes Yamiya "no.no" exhaust are fitted on 4363. (i will note, by me.)  a point of interest.......  2003, Yamiya as a business concern, did not exist.  a set of decent original "no.no" exhaust were essentially "nla."  it was not around 2008 i purchased Yamiya "no.no" exhaust to replace the nos HM300's i fitted in 2003.  who would have known in 2008, nos HM300's would soon become "nla" and HM300 prices would shoot through the moon. 

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
when you go to "Gallery" in SOOC website, you'll note at the bottom of my little write up, pictures taken of 4363 around 2003 and 4363 fitted with a DSS seat...  those pics were taken October 14, 2003 and were before i purchased the original seat off ebay.  the SOOC website was started December 24, 2004 and i put these pics along with my write up.  so, it must have been later than 2004 i purchased the original seat....  oh well, in the affairs of love and war, machts nichts.  anyone can believe anything they want. if you don't thinks so, read the all the news you can ingest every day, through out the day for a few weeks.

and incidentally, the cases on 4363 are not painted.  they were not painted because i did not know they were painted.  those "secrets" were revealed at a later date.  and i would not have painted them had i known they were painted from the factory.  nor were engine covers clear coated.  they were brought to as deep a lusture as i could my self bring them to be.  the idea of painting engine parts revulses me.  i get that from my British bike ownership days.  for me, engine metal is meant to be cleaned and polished....  not painted over.  of course, not correct as original.  but then, i restored the bike to suit my personal tastes. 

i never intended to sell 4363, it rolled 1005 miles on the odometer before i put in to long term storage around 2010.  the reason i put it in to storage, i could not afford to watch a pristine restoration turn in to a road worn used vehicle, especially considering so much of the parts that make up these  sandcasts is unobtainable or irreplaceable and expensive. 

around 2009 i had 2157 fall in to my lap.  it made sense to keep 2157 a road worn imperfect original as possible rider to have fun with, as i missed not riding a 1969 CB750.  my mindset, i can't justify to many multiples of anything.  so, after getting 2157 roadworthy March 2013, i slowly came to the difficult decision to sell 4363.  i did not sell it to make much of a profit, i sold it to a fellow who i thought an enthusiast.

as far as being a "world renowned restorer"........  HOLY SHIT !  WHAT A LONG WAY TO FALL.  NO THANKS.  i'll give that one to those of greater awareness.  however, i do take pride in my work and i don't half ass what i know to do.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
for the record: 

Re:  4363/E4540

4.  i sold 4363 with the original seat (and tool kit) in 2014 to a gentleman by name of Mick Raffle who in turn sold the bike in 2015 to the gentleman who is currently attempting sale of 4363. 

Seems those bikes become more and more investment and speculative objects or go through the hands of professional dealers.

The seat and toolkit may have been swapped to maximise the profit.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
per pinback - "Seems those bikes become more and more investment and speculative objects or go through the hands of professional dealers.  The seat and toolkit may have been swapped to maximise the profit."

steve swan - i see nothing wrong with making a profit, but robbing a bike of it's parts.....?  then ascribing i restored it that way........?  i can't own that.

but, then.........  "Shit happens."  (was a popular 70's bumper sticker)

CBman

• View Profile
I like sellerīs  fairytale about why he should sell the bike, and why he has "0" feedback. Usually low feedback have traffickers selling many bikes together, and donīt want anybody knows it. In the backround of one picture is CB500 and Z1. Also have to sell?

Riccardo

• View Profile
Some years ago I was buying a Kawasaki Z1 '73, the sale did not go 'successful, and a few months later I saw the same bike for sale for the same price without the original seat, mufflers and other original parts replaced by other non-original . Unfortunately this is' a habit that many have and that does no credit to those who sell, those who buy and especially to those who had spent his time to keep an object in original condition or to restore it to perfection.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Yes well! He represents the bike as a restoration by "a world renowned restorer" but then s/he removes the man's actual work from the bike. Not good form IMHO  :o
I doubt we will get any flack Ash as it seems to be the truth of the matter
The seller's words seem now to have less sincerity following these noted removals. A shame for the reputation of the restorer and certain questions on the credibility for the seller. I'm happy to pen this comment for all to see including the possible buyer

I got a reply back and seemed an honest one, that he didn't know about the seat swap & tool kit and thanked me for telling him. It's not the same guy that bought it from Steve who is selling. The original buyer has a really nice UK Diecast that was ordered at the 'Brighton Show' (probably same batch as mine 10/69)  so perhaps he put into onto that bike.