Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Member, Bethany, Ontario. Canada.

BenelliSEI

• View Profile
I’ve been collecting cb750’s for many years. Started when I had a ‘78 cb550K and my wife rode a ‘77 400F. My son started riding, so he got my 550K and I picked up a ‘78 750K.. Next, he picked up a K7 and that winter we started off with powder coated frames a built two “new bikes”. Since then, more than a few have passed through my shop. Last big project was a 1970 K0 (non Sandcast) that I restored using only NOS Honda parts. It came to me with two sets of Honda HM300 pipes that the previous owner had bought in the early ‘80s. In 2019 I took it to my first ever show, the Cobble Beach Concours and we won the top prize. I presently ride a pristine K1 and we also have a K3 and a K4 licensed and insured. At the back of the shop are a restored K6, K7 and K8.

Currently I’m restoring a 1974 Rickman CR that has been raced for all it’s life. I’m putting it back in road trim. Just a few weeks ago, I spotted a 1975 Honda CB750 based “Chopper” For Sale. Not my current style, but when I was a teenager, I did want one. It’s an Amen frame kit, with a Tony Carlini tank and Springer front  end. For sale by the original builder/owner, it’s spotless and a real piece of history. Fairly priced, but a five hour drive away....... Given the current “Covid Restrictions” I offered the fellow 75% of his asking price.  We went back and forth and in the end he mentioned an extra motorcycle he was prepared to add into the mix. A poor photograph caught my attention. The horn appeared to be on the left side....... I agreed and a few day ago, spent a long day retrieving the chopper (lovely beyond my expectations) and the “barn bike”.

Close inspection yesterday reveals I have CB750-1001250 (engine: 1000582). Carbs, airbox, batt. box and tool tray are missing. Otherwise complete. Flat, red foam seat, double cut front fender, short chain guard, no number exhaust. Engine turns over with compression and I can find all the gears. It’s been sitting in very dry storage for +30 years. The correct tach and speedo are in place, showing 17,629 miles. I’ll be spending the next few weeks deciding on a plan. Feedback and comments most welcome.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:16:45 pm by BenelliSEI »
John D.

BenelliSEI

• View Profile
P.S. Phot of my K0 and the new Chopper.
John D.

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi BenelliSEI!

Welcome!

Ive been following your posts on the SOHC site. Very exciting. You clearly have excellent taste in bikes!

You also appear to have come across a nice sandcast there. Congrats! Double-cut front fender, three digit engine, correct forks, front brake, exhaust (cant see if there are numbers on it) and more...very exciting! Maybe a rolled rear rim? As you probably know, the engine and frame likely aren't original to each other. Hopefully, you can work out the dent in the tank and preserve the original paint. How's the engine? Stuck?

Depending on the rust, this could be a candidate for a nice survivor. Otherwise, it will be a fun restoration job.

What do you plan to do with it?

Oh yeah, nice poster in your garage too :)
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow. Nice find. I don't necessarily agree with Sam in that the motor and frame are likely not original. Indeed they are just as likely to be original as likely not original. Can you provide some history around this as it would be very interesting copy.
I see some very interesting details and specifically 2 things that are of interest to me. Can you tell us the diameter of that mirror stem and provide a close up of the master cylinder cap. These look like early items.
More photos would be of interest as well. Not often we get "new meat" to look at if I can be a little crude  ;D
Yabba Dabba KP

BenelliSEI

• View Profile
Thank you both...... going to stare  at it for a while (and remove the crash bars and rear carrier). Then make plans. Probably should finish the Rickman first.

Sam...... the exhaust appears original, no stamps or numbers. The rear is definitely a rolled rim. I believe the engine is original to this frame. I see lots of examples of same, and the locating hardware shows no signs of ever being disturbed. Total mileage on the motorcycle is 17,629.

KP...... I will certainly measure the mirror stem and get photos of the master cap. Happy to provide any information you guys may find useful. I need to get more info, and that will help.
John D.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice find. I would suggest that the 1250/E582 pairing IS correct. Many years ago I picked up a very original bike with VIN1256 / E665. It is just another instance of the numbers being further apart than usually found.
Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great news about the exhaust and the rear rim. Both are tough to find. You found a gem!

As far as the engine and frame numbers, it is not common to have the numbers so far apart (take a look at the VIN registry). BUT, it's certainly not impossible (you'll see some in the same registry for example). As KP and Hondasan point out, there are examples of bikes with wider-than-normal number spreads. The fact that you don't see evidence of the engine ever being out of the frame is a great sign. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter.

My hope is that you will put your skills to bring this bike back to life!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608

BenelliSEI

• View Profile
Thanks for the feedback. I am missing the carburetor, airbox, tool tray and battery box. Any leads appreciated!

KP...... the single mirror I have is 10.0 mm., stem diameter. I’ve attached photos of the master cylinder cap.
John D.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great. Thanks for the photo and info The mirror nut at the MC looked to be interesting but 10mm should be correct and correct MC cap
Hope you get all your parts as it will be a great base for resto or clean up
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

vnz00

• View Profile
Hi B6 and welcome!  Would you mind sharing the date stamps (cast numbers, likely to be something like 4.7) on the top and bottom cases please? Also, are there any numbers stamped on the top and bottom halves of the engine cases, near the front drive shaft and sprocket?  These should be matched stamped numbers.  Thanks!  Congrats on the find. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:39:28 am by vnz00 »

BenelliSEI

• View Profile
VNZ00...... I have bit of grime to dig through, but will post when I get there.
John D.

CBman

• View Profile
Hi Benelli,
which CB you like to ride the most ?
350 was too weak for me, 750 has great engine, but suspension seams to be little bit behind engine. And 500cc seems to be good package.
Great that you went through all 750 range from K0 to K8, its exiting to see development and changes during CB production.
Best you can see it on frame welding quality.

BenelliSEI

• View Profile
My  favourite ride is my 1971 cb750K1. It’s very original, low mileage. I spent time lacing new rims and tires on it, brake work at both ends and the forks have been rebuilt and polished. A few years ago, I stumbled on two NOS sets of true Honda manufactured HM300 pipes. One set went on the K1. It also has an NOS seat. It rides beautifully and sounds even better!
John D.