Honda CB750 Sandcast

PP Brighton Bike to be auctioned in UK..On Facebook spotted by James Harrington

ashimotok0 · 114 · 16064

ashimotok0

• View Profile
These are the best photo's I have seen Steve! These came from a link on Facebook from the H&H guy. I never used to do the likes of FB and was banned by my kids from
 using it but alas there are so many useful marque specific groups now that I succumbed  :(
 For instance I only got to buy a dealer take-off CB500K0 seat from David Silver because I was on his FB site and he offered 1st dibs to his FB buddies.

I had to join this group (I was put onto it by my buddy James Harrington in the UK)  BTW the CB72/77 FB site is excellent ..some truly knowledgeable people contributing on there.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cb750.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:59:47 am by ashimotok0 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
These are the best photo's I have seen Steve! These came from a link on Facebook from the H&H guy. I never used to do the likes of FB and was banned by my kids from
 using it but alas there are so many useful marque specific groups now that I succumbed  :(
 For instance I only got to buy a dealer take-off CB500K0 seat from David Silver because I was on his FB site and he offered 1st dibs to his FB buddies.

I had to join this group (I was put onto it by my buddy James Harrington in the UK)  BTW the CB72/77 FB site is excellent ..some truly knowledgeable people contributing on there.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cb750.com

Thanks Ash, for your post.  i am enjoying following the fate of this bike.  i'm glad i don't have any emotional attachment to 2110 like i did with 2113.  the reason i liked 2113 was because it was the bike featured in the color ads in american magazines, and when i was 17, still riding my '67 BSA Lightning, i remember reading during 1968 about the possibility of Honda producing a 4  cylinder motorcycle, and knowing if anyone could make them readily available, it would be Honda.  When the 2 page color ads came out, i would study those ads for hours and dream about the possibility of owning one.  Some guys had girly pinups on their bedroom walls, i had Honda's color ads pinned up on mine.  During 1967, my dad had purchased a 1934 Indian 4, at a farm auction, so i felt the decades old mystique of a four, and also was aware of the technical and design issues in making a 4 cylinder motorcycle that would be reliable, and inexpensive to maintain.  MV Agusta, and Munch were already producing four's, but the feasibility of owning one seemed impossible due to their exotic nature, how difficult it would be to get one, and the fact there was no dealer network anywhere even close to the primitive, and remote rural area i lived in.  when Honda released those ads, i knew the dream could be a reality, there was a Honda dealer 50 miles from where we lived.  and so the dream became a reality, when i took delivery of 4779, on September 30, 1969.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ash, ditto Steve. Thanks for posting those extra pics. You're doing a better job than the auctioneers who are charged with the sale. If we didn't have you we'd be no wiser.
Yabba Dabba KP

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Steve made a really valid point ..us Brits wax lyrical about the 'Brighton bikes' but to a USA guy the green blue survivor  must be the one they lusted after.
I will probably be lynched on here for saying this but my passion has always been for the bikes that we had in the UK in Jan 1970 (Oct 69 manufactured diecasts) as these were the first CB750's officially sold here. I am lucky to have one of the first ones imported here, from, I believe the first batch of 20-25. but for you USA guys it would  have be a sandcast,  as they were the bikes in the shops you ogled over as schoolboys. There was a 5-star Honda dealer right at the top of my street. As small kids in the mid 60's we used to be given the wood from the Honda packing crates to build hut's etc with...I walked home from school in very early '70 and spotted a gleaming candy red 750 in the window of that shop and WOW ! was that an awesome sight.

I am pretty sure when ChrisR reads all of the posts in this thread he will have a chuckle and put me straight on a few facts on the 'Brighton bikes'. Apologies in advance Chris!

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Steve made a really valid point ..us Brits wax lyrical about the 'Brighton bikes' but to a USA guy the green blue survivor  must be the one they lusted after.
I will probably be lynched on here for saying this but my passion has always been for the bikes that we had in the UK in Jan 1970 (Oct 69 manufactured diecasts) as these were the first CB750's officially sold here. I am lucky to have one of the first ones imported here, from, I believe the first batch of 20-25. but for you USA guys it would  have be a sandcast,  as they were the bikes in the shops you ogled over as schoolboys. There was a 5-star Honda dealer right at the top of my street. As small kids in the mid 60's we used to be given the wood from the Honda packing crates to build hut's etc with...I walked home from school in very early '70 and spotted a gleaming candy red 750 in the window of that shop and WOW ! was that an awesome sight.

I am pretty sure when ChrisR reads all of the posts in this thread he will have a chuckle and put me straight on a few facts on the 'Brighton bikes'. Apologies in advance Chris!

Ash, what you say, i give you a pat on the back and  thumbs up!  

"When Britain first at Heaven's command, Arose from out the azure main, This was the charter of the land, And guardian angels sung this strain; "Rule Britannia! Rule the waves; Britons never will be slaves."  James Thomson

But...   those silly blokes had all but blown up their motorcycle industry by 1969.  i remember those sad early 70's years well......

God Save the Queen.  Hear, Hear!

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There was l believe only one Gold pp bike in Europe in 1969. The high handlebars were changed for lower ones at the request of the first owner. The master cylinder was changed at the same time along with the metal brake pipe which could not be used of course with lower handlebars. This is the reason that pictures exist of this bike with two different types of handlebar and master cylinder.
This information was told to me by the Honda mechanic who carried out this work in 1969. He is now 90 years old with an amazing memory.
 I now have the original master cylinder and metal brake pipe which he had kept in his workshop since 1969.
 Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

DW69K0

• View Profile
The Brighton Bike sale is exciting to follow and make me extremely curious to learn more about its history & story.
Thanks for sharing Chris, great stuff!
DW

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
The Brighton Bike sale is exciting to follow and make me extremely curious to learn more about its history & story.
Thanks for sharing Chris, great stuff!
DW

did anyone see the auction countdown clock i posted in general discussion?

Joe K

• View Profile

ashimotok0

• View Profile
There was l believe only one Gold pp bike in Europe in 1969. The high handlebars were changed for lower ones at the request of the first owner. The master cylinder was changed at the same time along with the metal brake pipe which could not be used of course with lower handlebars. This is the reason that pictures exist of this bike with two different types of handlebar and master cylinder.
This information was told to me by the Honda mechanic who carried out this work in 1969. He is now 90 years old with an amazing memory.
 I now have the original master cylinder and metal brake pipe which he had kept in his workshop since 1969.
 Chris R.

Cheers Chris ..Excellent facts as always ...do you happen to know if the bike featured in the 28th Feb '69 BBC 'Wheelbase' programme was the Gold or Green bike?

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No idea Ash, and of course it is not so easy to work it out visually when the images in question are in black/white. HOWEVER, one distinguishing feature of the Gold pp bike is that the front indicators fitted back in 1969 (appearing still to be present in the pre-auction pictures) are C50 type with lens' which are more pointed than the usual CB750 type.

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

ashimotok0

• View Profile
More pics today from H&H auction house.

Wayne put them right on Facebook that its not a 'prototype' !

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More pics today from H&H auction house.

Wayne put them right on Facebook that its not a 'prototype' !

I’ve learned a lot since joining this group Ash. 😎
[size=

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Am is seeing straight, is the tach from a K0 Diecast?
DW

There are certainly some differences from 2113. Cable is different for sure.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:10:24 pm by Wayne »
[size=