Honda CB750 Sandcast

What is your most harrowing ride? Quel est votre trajet le plus pénible?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
My most harrowing ride was when I was 15.  I grew up on the farm, 8 miles NE of Hartington, Nebraska.  When I was 14, this was back in 1966, you could get a permit to operate a vehicle if you had to drive to school and we had no bus.  I had a 1965 Yamaha YDS-3 Catalina 250, the year of this incident would have been 1967, it seems like it was November, but I can’t tell you how I know that.  What I do know, the weather was cold and I was completely bundled up, as many layers of clothes as I could wear and still be able to walk, swing my leg over, and straddle a motorcycle.  Going north out of Hartington, highway 57 continues uphill until you get to what used to be Tip Top School, where there was a one room country school house and then it’s all downhill from there.  And in my case, that was literally and figuratively.  It’s f’n cold.  I’m sure the temps were in the 10’s or teens.  Ok, so maybe not THAT cold….  So, I decide when I get to the top of Tip Top hill, I will see how fast the Yamaha will go and I twist the throttle wide open. Half way down the hill I’m going 87 mph.  All this I’m writing now is as clear as if this were happening now.  The entire bike starts a wobble.  Not the front end or the front wheel.  The entire bike starts a side to side wobble.  Actually, it’s like an oscillating sort of freakish wobble.  The bike is going perfectly in a straight line, while the entire bike is moving from side to side in a sickening sort of slow motion.  The bike literally feels like it is possessed, like the wobble is in the top of the motorcycle, or inside the motorcycle, definitely not a wobble in the handlebars or front wheel.  I remember tightening in fear and keeping my cool at the same time.  I let off the gas and the wobble got immediately WORSE, more exaggerated than before.  Still going in a perfectly straight line, but literally oscillating from side to side and with every oscillation the lean angles got greater and greater and greater.  I tried very lightly letting off the throttle again and the bike was oscillating into even greater lean angles.  I tried with all my might to keep the bike upright as I tried the brakes and at that point I KNEW I was going down.  FINALLY, what seemed like an eternity, the bike gently laid on to its left side and I separated from the bike.  I VIIDLY remember the bike moving forward and away from me, SLOWLY turning ccw and I DISTINCTLY remember brining my arms down to my side as I was sliding headfirst behind the motorcycle watching a shower of sparks stream from the bike as it continued its sickening pirouette in front of me.  I distinctly remember watching the bike slide to a stop as I slid to a stop.  I jumped up, ran to the bike, it was still running and in my excitement, forgot to pull the clutch and the bike killed.  I remember thinking, “Shit.”  This no more than happened when a guy got out of his car and he was as excited as I was.  He had watched the entire episode.  He asked me if I wanted a ride home, I looked at the bike, the only damage was a ground off portion of the toe gear shift lever.  So I said, “No, I’m okay.”  Got home, told my dad, he did not believe me as he knew I was a little hell-raiser on motorcycles.  The next Spring, that would have been 1968, the same thing happened to him at about 50 mph on level ground and he was BARELY able to get the bike stopped in time to not hit the ground.  He came all excited and told me he believed me.  I thought to myself, “Yeah, no shit, thanks Dad!”  I remember he partially dismantled the bike, chained it up against the yard light pole and got a long large diameter steel pipe and straightened the frame.  Type of nut my Dad was, he took the bike up to Hartington, turned around, heading to Tip top Hill and when he got to the top of the hill he opened the throttle wide open.  He said he got the bike up to just over 90 mph, shut the throttle, and by that time he was down to the bottom of the hill.  No wobble and he was mighty proud of that.  Traded the bike for a ’67 BSA Lightning , that would have still been Summer 1967.  Moving from that rice-grinder to the Lightning, I thought I was now a man.  

Mon trajet le plus pénible a eu lieu à l'âge de 15 ans. J'ai grandi à la ferme, à 8 milles au nord-est de Hartington, au Nebraska. Quand j'avais 14 ans, c'était en 1966, vous pouviez obtenir un permis pour conduire un véhicule si vous deviez vous rendre à l'école et nous n'avions pas de bus. J'ai eu une Yamaha YDS-3 Catalina 250 de 1965, l'année de cet incident aurait été 1967, on dirait que c'était en novembre, mais je ne peux pas vous dire comment je le sais. Ce que je sais, le temps était froid et j'étais complètement emmitouflé, autant de couches de vêtements que je pouvais porter et je pouvais encore marcher, balancer ma jambe et chevaucher une motocyclette. En allant vers le nord de Hartington, l'autoroute 57 continue son ascension jusqu'à ce que vous arriviez à ce qui était autrefois Tip Top School, où il y avait une école de campagne d'une pièce, puis tout est en descente. Et dans mon cas, c'était littéralement et au figuré. C'est froid. Je suis sûr que les temps étaient dans les années 10 ou les adolescents. Ok, donc peut-être pas si froid ... Donc, je décide quand je serai au sommet de Tip Top Hill, je vais voir à quelle vitesse la Yamaha va aller et je tourne la manette des gaz grande ouverte. À mi-chemin de la colline, je vais 87 mph. Tout ce que j'écris maintenant est aussi clair que si cela se passait maintenant. Le vélo entier commence une oscillation. Pas l'avant ou la roue avant. L'ensemble de la moto commence à osciller d'un côté à l'autre. En fait, c'est comme une oscillation d'oscillation bizarre. La moto roule parfaitement en ligne droite, tandis que le vélo entier se déplace d'un côté à l'autre dans un ralentissement écoeurant. Le vélo se sent littéralement comme s'il était possédé, comme l'oscillation est dans le haut de la moto, ou à l'intérieur de la moto, certainement pas une oscillation dans le guidon ou la roue avant. Je me souviens de me serrer dans la peur et de garder mon sang-froid en même temps. J'ai laissé tomber le gaz et l'oscillation est immédiatement pire, plus exagérée qu'auparavant. Toujours en ligne parfaitement droite, mais oscillant littéralement d'un côté à l'autre et avec chaque oscillation les angles maigres deviennent de plus en plus grands. J'essayai de relâcher légèrement la manette des gaz et la moto oscillait dans des angles d'inclinaison encore plus grands. J'ai essayé de toutes mes forces de garder le vélo droit en essayant les freins et à ce moment-là je savais que je descendais.  Finalement, ce qui semblait être une éternité, le vélo s'est doucement posé sur son côté gauche et je me suis séparé du vélo. Je me souviens VRAIMENT du vélo qui avance et s'éloigne de moi, tournant SLOWLY et je me souviens DISTINCTE de me baisser les bras sur le côté alors que je glissais la tête derrière la moto en regardant une pluie d'étincelles jaillir du vélo alors qu'elle continuait sa pirouette écoeurante. devant moi. Je me souviens distinctement de l'arrêt de la moto lorsque je me suis arrêté. J'ai sauté, couru à la moto, il courait encore et dans mon excitation, j'ai oublié de tirer l'embrayage et la moto a été tuée. Je me souviens avoir pensé "Merde". Ce n'est pas plus que ça quand un mec est sorti de sa voiture et il était aussi excité que moi. Il avait regardé tout l'épisode. Il m'a demandé si je voulais rentrer à la maison, j'ai regardé la moto, le seul dommage était une partie du levier de changement de vitesse. Alors j'ai dit: «Non, je vais bien.» Je suis rentré à la maison, a dit à mon père, il ne me croyait pas car il savait que j'étais un peu l'enfer sur les motos. Le printemps suivant, qui aurait eu lieu en 1968, la même chose lui est arrivée à environ 50 mi / h sur un terrain plat et il était FACILEMENT capable de faire arrêter le vélo à temps pour ne pas heurter le sol. Il est tout excité et m'a dit qu'il me croyait. Je me suis dit: «Ouais, pas de merde, merci Papa!» Je me souviens qu'il a partiellement démonté le vélo, l'a enchaîné contre le lampadaire et a obtenu un long tuyau d'acier de grand diamètre et a redressé le cadre. Type d'écrou que mon père était, il a pris le vélo jusqu'à Hartington, s'est retourné, se dirigeant vers Tip top Hill et quand il est arrivé au sommet de la colline, il a ouvert la manette des gaz grande ouverte. Il a dit qu'il a fait monter la moto à un peu plus de 90 mi / h, qu'il a fermé la manette des gaz et qu'à ce moment-là il était au bas de la pente. Aucun vacillement et il était puissant fier de cela. A échangé le vélo contre un Lightning BSA '67, qui aurait été encore été 1967. Passant de ce moulin à riz au Lightning, j'ai pensé que j'étais maintenant un homme.

Gregg

• View Profile
Excellent story Steve. It was so well written I felt like I was watching happen live in person. I’m glad you got up and made it home. Not everybody did from those wild teenage rides.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Thank you also Steve for this incredible story... It is so well written, that I had the impression to live with you more than 50 years later... Thank you for the effort to have it also written in French...Very Very cool !!

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
I think its "Eigenfrequency" (resonance frequency).

I had that on a CBX (CB-1). Back in 1978, when I bought my first bike, a CB400T, the new CBX came and the dealer gave it to me for a test riding. (Irrsponsible when looking back as I was a beginner)

So what did I do with that monster: directly onto the Autobahn with no speed limit. Yeahh !!

I went down the Autobahn at about 180-200 km/h. In those days, as this is was/is a very old autobahn, it was made of  concrete paving slabs of about 50m. So every 50m there was a interruption of bitumen that gave an impulse to the front fork.
At 180-200 those came in such a frequncy that caused the front fork to flutter and then the whole bike as you described.

Very scaring at that speed while passing trucks and cars.

I solved that with a full brake. Happily, the car driver behind me must have seen that I was in trubble and going to be kicked off and kept distance.

That CBX front end came from the CB750F2 and was completely     undimensioned.

Nevertheless, a few years later I swapped my CB750 K0 (see KO storry) with a CBX at this dealer and drove her for about 20 years.
And survived.

Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
On that trip in the Alps we came to the "Passo di Gavia".

It started as a lovely street. But then, it turns into a small road of dust and stones, narrow with no boundary.
We did´nt knew and though, thats just road work for some meters.

But it isn´t.

On top of the hill (2618m), it started to rain and the road was in the verge of turning into a melange of mud and stones.
Fortunately only for some turns.

Not easy going bold downhill on a CBX.
A few enduro bikers turned up and shacked their heads when the saw the inline 6 coming down.

I was completey exhausted and very happy to bring her down.

Never been there since then, maybe its tarred road now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:24:21 am by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
On that trip in the Alps we came to the "Passo di Gavia".

It started as a lovely street. But then, it turns into a small road of dust and stones, narrow with no boundary.
We did´nt knew and though, thats just road work for some meters.

But it isn´t.

On top of the hill (2618m), it started to rain and the road was in the verge of turning into a melange of mud and stones.
Fortunately only for some turns.

Not easy going bold downhill on a CBX.
A few enduro bikers turned up and shacked their heads when the saw the inline 6 coming down.

I was completey exhausted and very happy to bring her down.

Never been there since then, maybe its tarred road now.

whoooo............  boy!  you are lucky to have pictures of a great memory!!!!!  did you buy the CBX new back in the day?  what brand of cigarette were you smoking?  8)

reminds me of Togawotee Pass up in Wyoming, when we got caught in a late summer snow storm fully loaded, two-up on our 2009 Moto Guzzi CalVin in August 2010, and the roadbed was all torn up, and covered in 6 inches of slush for 10 miles......