Honda CB750 Sandcast

A very curious assembly of hose...

4pots1969

• View Profile
Here is a very curious assembly of the metal hose B which has been twisted and the rubber hose A ...
These photos are taken from the French magazine Motocyclisme n ° 7 from August 15, 1969 ... Is it the work of a journalist, because at the time they tended to do odd things on the motorcycles that were entrusted to them to make testing...
But the good question is : Why would they do that?  ??? ???
The photos were taken in the city of Marseille in the south of France...
And very oddly too, she does not have her french frame identification plate on the top of the right engine cradle? (location of the plate surrounded in green on the last photo)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:53:29 am by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Here are the baffles of the exhausts .... These are not HMCB750.
Lotus root? I do not think, but I do not know ... Who can answer?

I think this bike is one of the motorcycles for the US market and it was
part of the 73 bikes labeled California and diverted for the French market ...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:37:26 pm by 4pots1969 »

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hi Steve, What's that like exhausts?
Between root lotus and HM300? those who were not marked?

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Steve, What's that like exhausts?
Between root lotus and HM300? those who were not marked?

Gerard, i do not understand what you are asking.  sorry......  what i do know about the exhaust on 2113 is what kevin dodge and vic world both told me.  3 of the exhaust on 2113 are original to 2113.  the 4th exhaust is a lotus root.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I yhink you will find the brake is like it is due to incorrect assembly
Yabba Dabba KP

4pots1969

• View Profile
Yes Kp, I agree with you for a very poor assembly...
Steve, after the Lotus root exhausts, what is the replacement model that was mounted on the 750?
This is not the HM300, because it did not have HM300 marking on the two upper exhausts and the baffles were different ... The HM300 started to be mounted on the K1... no ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:30:05 am by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Gerard, the exhaust that came after the lotus root are what the Japanese call the "no.no" exhaust, they have no stamping on exhaust. 

the lotus root ended at vin 4148.  the "no.no" started at vin 4149.

otherwise, the "no.no" exhaust are same as HM300.  As you say, HM300 started on the K1, and i have seen 2 versions of HM300 on K1.  the early HM300 exhaust had no relief on #4 for brake pedal.  later HM300's had relief for brake pedal.  if i recall correctly on the early HM300, i seem to think the #2 exhaust also had no relief to clear the engine or frame....  Chris would probably know......

Gerard or Uli - the HMCB750 exhaust.  the baffle is different than HM300.  Have you heard engines run with both types exhaust?  is the HMCB exhaust/baffle more or less restrictive than HM300?

4pots1969

• View Profile
Thank you Steve for the confirmation and for the clarification...
So the photo on the attached photo is "no.no" ??

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
I‘d say the HMCB750 is between HM300 and HM341, soundwise.
The inner side of the baffle is closed (the end towards the engine), so the air flow is only through those holes alongside.

I cut that end on my K0 baffled so the flow can go straight through and gives more sound.

I assume the HM300 was too loud for the German market and couldn’t pass the TÜV (MOT, or technical inspection).
No idea why France and Netherlands got them too.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:01:15 pm by Sgt.Pinback »
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

4pots1969

• View Profile
I‘d say the HMCB750 is between HM300 and HM341, soundwise.

Yes, I also think that the HMCB750 is slightly quieter than the HM300, more felted and less raucous...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:11:46 pm by 4pots1969 »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Mr. McGovern emailed me, quietly drew it to my attention "The HM300 was first seen without brake indent (paragraph) on K0 models."

when i posted earlier i totally forgot the K0 existed............  SHIT !!!!  i am aging, losing my brain cells.

benjixt

• View Profile
Mr. McGovern emailed me, quietly drew it to my attention "The HM300 was first seen without brake indent (paragraph) on K0 models."

when i posted earlier i totally forgot the K0 existed............  SHIT !!!!  i am aging, losing my brain cells.

Hello
yes exact hm300 on k0
But on late 1970
Around frame 1035Xxx
Benji

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello
yes exact hm300 on k0
But on late 1970
Around frame 1035Xxx
Benji
Sorry to disagree benji but this information is incorrect. HM300 exhausts were fitted to 1969 K series CB750s as well as the no no exhausts. My unmolested K series, frame 11970, was fitted with HM300 no indent exhausts. Later HM300 exhausts had the brake pedal indent. My frame 11970 was an Australian delivered motorcycle so maybe different markets had different stampings. For example, Australian delivered CB750s had no identification plates fitted until 1972 so market differences did occur. Most Australian delivered Honda motorcycles fall into the General Export category
The discussion on exhausts goes back many years. In 2010 members were in fact discussing exhausts when what we now know as the Lotus Root exhaust wasn't even known. Please see this link
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php/topic,24.0.html
Yabba Dabba KP