Honda CB750 Sandcast

it's all about motorcycles....

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
working on my second '27, this is going to be the first custom build i have ever done, so way away from my penchant for producing like original work.  The engine will have Truett & Osborn flywheels,Carillo rods, JIMS pins, Venolia pistons.  The frame is 1929, forks 1927, SUN alloy rims with Kenda 21 inch tires, front wheel 1981 Kawasaki conical hub dirt bike, 1914 fenders, automobile tail light, era specific stop light, narrow Sport solo gas tanks, speedster handlebars, 1915 Model T 10 inch headlight and a 13 inch 1926 Model T Sparton electric motor horn.  and an early narrow Velocette fishtail silencer.

fire ball bike

• View Profile
looks like its going to be a nice ride Steve I'm  firm believer in when you build a bike build it like you like and enjoy it

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thanks for your kind comments, fellow fellows!  motorcycles have owned me for 53 years now.  i say celebrate all on two wheels!  if you check out that rear brake, you'll note it is an externally contracting band type.  adequately will slow one down, but emergency stop = probable catastrophe.  hopefully the little 7 inch Kaw dirt bike brake will be enough.  These bikes only weigh 420 pounds wet.  this one should weigh around 400.  they look primitive, but the engineering on them is amazing, all sorts of close fits in different places.  people mistakenly think Harley-Davidson never changed anything, at least i used to in my younger years when i prided my ignorance for the marque.  for example, there are "early 1927" and "later 1927" models, later '27's had a number of improved features from early '27 models.  the factory was continually improving on what they were manufacturing.  Back then, motorcycle design had to be created and improved on; the only body of knowledge the factory could refer to was what they'd created for the past 22 years.  it's mind boggling to imagine what it was like for American motorcycle manufacturing pioneers as they began planning to build the first American bikes by 1901.  For that matter, imagine Sochiro Honda post-WWII.  Although he was a master piston ring manufacturer in the pre-war era, he had pretty humble beginnings post-war.  god, i wish we had some knowledgeable Japanese members who participated on this site.  that was my ultimate dream when i started the website in 2004.  but at least we accomplished bringing in 2113 from the darkness that it sadly returned to.  but, then, i can understand investors such as the person who purchased 2113 desires and needs their privacy.  sad, but true.  at least it's in the U.S., so someday it may be seen again.  i had a chance to go see it, but i was going through chemo at the time and working at the same time, so i couldn't make the journey.

4pots1969

• View Profile
Steve, I always look "American Pickers, Treasure Hunters" with Mick and Franck and every time they discover the remains of a very old HD or Indian my thoughts go directly to you, I love the very old motorcycles of the 20s, 30s, the US is full of treasure of all kinds....
This photo in black and white and beautiful...
Great job !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w10Ca9dyroI
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:30:53 am by 4pots1969 »