Honda CB750 Sandcast

New Member from Southern California

Sirfun · 10 · 1812

Sirfun

• View Profile
Hi, my name is Joe and I have a bike that I first rode on the back of when I was 14. My dad purchased the bike in 1971 from a family friend who had just bought a new Kawasaki 900. Unfortunately about 20 years ago I quit riding and this bike sits where I parked it in my garage rusting away. I just recently saw info on sandcast Honda 750's and when I cleaned and looked at the engine number it's #6966 so I guess it's a sandcast. It's always meant a lot to me for the sentimental reasons. I see all the bikes here are stock. Mine has is exactly the way my dad got it with a full Vetter Fairing and Boss 2into 1 exhaust. Anyway hi and here's some old photos of my dad on it in 71 and my grandmother around 72 after my dad had it custom painted. 

DW69K0

• View Profile
Welcome Joe!
Great story, show us more pictures.
Best,
Duane

Sirfun

• View Profile
I know this isn't the stock Honda as it came out of the showroom by any means. But this is what a tricked out Honda 750 was like in 1970. A week ago I was going through a box of old magazines and ran into the owners manual & shop manual. For fun, I looked them up and saw they were worth way more than I thought they would be. Then I had to look up Honda 750's, when I saw a couple of videos with the sound, it really brought back some Great memories. Then, I saw info about Sandcast Honda's and the engine numbers have to be below #7414. Imagine my surprise when I wiped away the grime and took a photo with my phone to see my Bike is #6966! I'm kinda in shock, and thinking I need to at least clean up of this old guy. Here's a couple photos, excuse my messy garage!

DW69K0

• View Profile
Thanks for sharing the photos, definitely period correct for late 70's.
Curious what is the frame VIN number?
Will be stamped in left side of the down tube and on the VIN plate on the right hand side of the steering head.
Thanks,
DW

Sirfun

• View Profile
The frame is # 6816 big difference in numbers to engine. BTW everything except maybe the backrest are from 1971 or earlier.  Here's my idea of changes. Handlebars,Boss 4 into 2 exhaust,  Vetter Full Fairing, Koni shocks, re-upholstered seat, Wrap around chain guard, rack with adjustable backrest and custom paint. So, I've looked around this messageboard a little and I saw a thread that talked about  wondering what frame engine #7414 might have. I would think with my frame being over 100 numbers before the engine number, maybe Honda shipped out motors without frames. Thoughts?

acruz

• View Profile
Welcome!  Your bike looks to be in great condition.  If you decide to restore it back to stock, you're in the right place.  It's definitely cool to see this bike in it's former glory - like a time capsule!  Enjoy the sandcast and welcome to the club!

Sirfun

• View Profile
Thank you,
  I have a very emotional attachment to this motorcycle exactly the way it is. It's funny I have a saying I use a lot. "Prices are based on what people will pay" This holds true with just about anything. Now that I have knowledge of how special this bike is to not only me, but bike enthusiast worldwide. I can explain it's true value to my family and I'm wanting to clean it up and give it a little more attention. Hopefully not store stuff on the old dude. His name that my dad gave him in the 70's is Henry Honda.

Sirfun

• View Profile
Going through an old photo album and I came across this vintage black & white photo of my dad with my sandcast. 

Sam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Love these period photos. Your dad had a sweet bike!
Ujeni Motors
Sandcast #410
Sandcast #538 Watch the restoration!
Sandcast #6592 All original daily driver.
Diecast #16608