Honda CB750 Sandcast

New member with old 750

jimwho · 12 · 4771

jimwho

• View Profile
Hi I read about this site in the AMA mag. I've got a CB750 that my brother bought in 1970-2nd owner. He was in Viet Nam so I rode it more than he did. The frame no. is 1001742 motor no.CB750E 1001627 . Anyhow I still have it and it needs a throttle cable and bowl gaskets. Where is a good place to get parts because no luck from Honda ?
The bike is all original except for a 4 into 2 header. I have ridden it every year but last year when the cable broke.

Jim from Iowa

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Jim, Welcome !

Please send me an email with your vins, we will get you registered to be member #128 ! sandcast232@yahoo.com

As for parts, i would first suggest, especially for the part you mention, try your local Honda dealer first. Having a part number to give the dealer is always a good thing. You would be surprised what is still available from Honda !

The other good vendors are Western Hills Honda in Ohio, Yamiya750 of Japan, David Silver Spares of England and Classic Motorcycle Supply of the Netherlands. Within reason, you should be able to obtain any part you need to keep your bike roadworthy.

Where are you in Iowa, anywhere close to Sioux City ? That's 50 miles from where i grew up, we bought our CB750 new from Olson Brothers, Sept.69.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yabba Dabba, Another VIN number with a lower engine number Hmmmm! KP
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
Hi: Nice to have you with us, enjoy the web site. Marty K.

jimwho

• View Profile
Thanks for the welcome guys,

I did get a cable from Honda, but it was too big for the carb tops . So I will try to get the smaller size somewhere.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jimwho, Sounds like you have 5mm cables. Do the carb tops have a 28 cast into them. Look near the area where the cable enters the carbs. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
jimwho: Is there any raised numbers on the carb tops. Marty K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
WOW Jim !!!! Sounds like your bike may never had the carb tops/springs/slides replaced and you may have the early carb setup on your bike.

There was a recall by Honda early 1970, because the slides were not closing.

The entire setup - cable, slides, springs, carb cap ring nuts, caps and brass adjusters were recalled by Honda and replaced with an updated kit. If your setup was not replaced, you should see the #28 on each of your caps and the cable housings are all 5 mm. Replacement cable housings are 6 mm. There are no numbers on the replacement carb caps.

DO NOT THROW AWAY *ANY* OF THESE PARTS !!!!, including the broken cable !

These original early carb parts which never made the recall are very difficult to find. Probably accurate to say they are rare. Some people have paid several hundred dollars for a full set of these carb parts.

I can repair your cable for you. I have a solder pot for building cables or repairing them. Send me the barrel that broke from cable and your entire cable setup, i will repair it.

If you have the early 5 mm cable, you will likely be a very old man before you find a replacement. They are near impossible to find. A new one sold recently on ebay for a little over $300

chrisnoel

• View Profile
If he's riding the bike perhaps removing these parts would be in order to save them. He could run the bike with the later carb tops and a NEW CHAIN. Keep the RPM's down man!

srook

• View Profile
"perhaps removing these parts would be in order to save them."

Why do they need saving? Are they so valuable in themselves that they should be preserved regardless if there is a bike to install them on? How about you use them as intended. You can have the old cable repaired or you could have a brand new cable made. Sometimes I don't get it.
Scott

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
i ride a 1970 honda cb750 with the original #28 carb tops small brass nuts slides and springs with no problems if anything they are lighter on the wrist,like they say " if it aint broke dont try an fix-it "(but i could change my mind for $300 lol)
i see it as evolution all the mods done to the cb750 are improvements mostly for the better e.g ribbed mudguards longer chain guard ,higher teeth sprockets tires,its the owners choice if you upgrade to the modded part or keep with original equipment

Blake Withrow

• View Profile
In the latest issue of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club magazine, there is an article on MotionPro's custom cable service. The can make almost any cable from scratch. They recreate a lot of exotic cables for restorations. They could probably repair your broken original as well. To get an order placed and processed was surprisingly simple and I'm guessing cheap vs. finding an authentic working replacement. Link below

http://www.motionpro.com/custom/index.php