Honda CB750 Sandcast

Vietnam Repro Front fender K0

tomcourtney

• View Profile
I was talking to a buddy Bob who also bought one of these front fenders he fitted it to a bike over the weekend and said it was a strugle to get it to line up, he ended up removing the wheel and said with much pushing he got the bolts in being carefull to not cross thread a thread, once every bolt was started he tightened it all up. he said for the money its ok Tom
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Well it arrived unplated (along with the braces and centre piece which I did not ask for ! ). It has flash rusted quite badly underneath but I am really pleased with the finish on the top and the rolled edge. He originally drilled it and I had asked for it to be supplied undrilled but it has been welded up so you can't see where the holes have been. To be honest the top finish is so good that I wish I had got him to chrome it but I chickened out at the last minute! I think I need to smooth over the sharp cut ends though. Any advice on this?  All in all I am really pleased that, at last,  I am going to have the correct double-cut fender on my bike. I reckon this guy could supply us with some serious stuff if we can advise him on how we want things and how much we are prepared to pay,  provided it does not jeopardise his business with his Japanese customer. For instance he charged me 30USD to give it his personal attention to finish and considering the cost of ratty Ebay used ones, the extra was nothing. I will treat the rust with DeOx-C and take it to the chromers for a quote.

http://www.bilthamber.com/deoxc.html

Will keep you posted!

BTW Just mastered the art of yellow passivate zinc plating and my regulator and start solenoid etc. are looking good! I found a place in Lincolnshire and there are really really helpful (they sound like a husband and wife team). They supplied me with 1/2 normal quantities of chemicals, which they normally sell BZP, Nickel, Copy Chrome (nickel cobalt), Zincate coating for alloy, blue and yellow passivate for zinc and industrial black dye for anodizing. Tons cheaper than  Caswell or Eastwood

Cheers

Ash
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:33:39 pm by ashimotok0 »

ashimotok0

• View Profile
ChrisR emailed me and I am hoping to meet him soon and show him the K0 front fender, as I know you will all appreciate his appraisal of it.

best regards,

Ash

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tom, Ash and members
I received my double cut a few days ago and I have to say it was way better than I expected. For the money this is a very very good product and from where I sit well worth the money. Is it as good as a Yamiya? Well I've only seen pictures of a Yamiya fender but I'd have to say no but for the money, it's better. The underside isn't as well finished but the top side is damn good.
You do have to also consider the genuine fender after it has been rechromed. It is not as good as the original either. Reason being is that the chrome plating is sooooooooooooo much better than factory. Honda only ever gave their parts a lick of chrome whereas the re-chromed part will always be superior. (provide you don't get a turkey doing the plating). Thems my thoughts on the product and I doubt anyone will be saying to you -"Yuk that fender is a re-pop"  ;D KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Sterling1

• View Profile
 I bought one of these about a month ago.  It fits correctly and the overall quality is OK.  Given the scarcity of this piece, its well worth their price.