Honda CB750 Sandcast

Just Finishing my second sandcast

Mad Matt

• View Profile
    • Mad Matts Garage
Thanks guys.  My pieces are very slightly darker and more red than the NOS part, but I am happy with it because I have some other after market painted parts that are more red and I just like the color better, especially out in the sunlight.  The NOS has more gold tone showing through.  The gold tone is actually the yellow in the candy over the silver base.  The darkness in the red can be varied when you shoot it by going lighter on the candy layer.  Candy is tough to shoot, but I am learning and to me that is a big part of the fun of restoring.  Like I said, if anybody wants the PPG formula I used here, I am happy to share it.

My biggest problem now is dust and I am going to be making some sort of a garage paint booth setup so I can finish this set of skins.  So far I have been painting outside.

Matt

donzie

• View Profile

Mad Matt

• View Profile
    • Mad Matts Garage
PPG Paint Spec Honda Candy Ruby Red

BASE:

1 part DMD 1680 fine aluminum
1 part reducer
5% basecoat activator

CANDY:

1 part DMX 213 Blue Shade Red
2 parts DMX 212 Yellow Shade Red
6 parts DBC 500 Color Blend
10 parts reducer
1 part Basecoat Activator

The DMX is like color concentrate so you are mixing it with the color blend to create the "paint".
The color blend is clear.

The candy can be diluted even more with color blend and reducer and sprayed on thinner to create a lighter red.  When you do this it does come out more yellow because there is alot of yellow in the DMX212.

Remember that the color really depends on the thickness of the candy layer so you have to experiment with this till you get a feel for it.
I am using a touch up gun because a full size gun is just too big to control on such small parts.

Feel free to ask me any questions !

Matt
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:52:55 am by mrdeza »

Mad Matt

• View Profile
    • Mad Matts Garage
I should probably add this info also as the primer color can effect the final color.

The primer I used is GREY.

Xtreme 5425 high build direct to metal.
Xtreme 5426 Activator.
These are mixed 4:1.

The clear I am using is Deltron DC4000.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:50:59 pm by mrdeza »