Honda CB750 Sandcast

Non-Ethanol Gas

vince ciotti

• 1st place at Santa Fe Concorso in 2014
    • View Profile
Been struggling to find gas stations that have good old-fashioned plain old gasoline, without any Ethanol. I fear my old CB's carbs don't take well to this farm gunk... And that's before we are forced to go to 85% Ethanol!

I've tried Sta-Bil and Star-Tron, but fear they're mainly marketing hype, with little chemical content. At least I can't find any scientific studies that show they work, like Dynamoter tests or carb/engine tear-downs. I pour them in just to feel good, but fear I'm getting snookered.

So here's a fabulous web site that lists that lists gas stations BY STATE that sell non-Ethanol gas, mainly for boats, farm tractors, etc. I just filled up my 79 CBX yesterday at one here in Winter Haven, Florida, and will report if it has any effect. It said 90 octane on the pump, and was a bit steep at $3.85 a gallon, but anything to keep my old bikes running right!

http://pure-gas.org

Please report if anyone has FACTS about this controversy, not just ads or feel-good hype.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You can easily remove the Ethanol from your gas with plain old water. Just take some gas in a container you can see into with some type of drain valve on the bottom. Put gas in the container, add water and your Ethanol will gravitate to the water and sink to the bottom. Drain it off and you are left mostly Ethanol free gas. You can reapeat the water thing to get more out. Now since Ethanol is an Octane booster you will need to add some. There are many brands out there.

Great web site by the way. A few stations within an hour of me. Thanks!
[size=