Honda CB750 Sandcast

Original or restoration question

markb · 6 · 1899

markb

• View Profile
I didn't want to hijack the current thread with the lastest Vic World bike on ebay but it brought up some questions for me.  I think everyone agrees that an unrestored bike in excellent condition would be worth more than a perfect restoration.  So here's my questions based on monetary value only (not personal preference):
1. How bad does an original have to get (such as scratches, rust, etc.) before it's better to restore it?
2. Could a restoration have original looking parts (slightly faded paint, patina) or should everything be redone (exception, NOS parts)?
3. Does over-restoring hurt the value (example, polishing, powdercoat, chrome)?
I'm asking mainly because I'm working on #97 restoration, which I think was way beyond considering keeping original, and I'm pondering how far to go with the restoration on some of it.  By the way, there is no implied criticism here on how others like their bikes.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Mad Matt

• View Profile
    • Mad Matts Garage
Mark,

I love that you asked this question(because I would love to hear from lots of members on this).  Now remember opinions will vary widely on this topic.  I for one am not a purist in any way, at least not yet.  I am a perfectionist however so the purism may grow on me in time.  Bottom line to me is, it's your bike, you can do whatever you like to it.  And I mean that in a good way, one should restore it to be what he enjoys the most.

My sandcasts are over polished.  The second one even more so that the first, because I just LOVE the way it looks and it is in fact easier to do than matching the OEM finish.  I am running a Kerker header on my second sandcast that I am riding at the moment, and I LOVE it!  I also love the OEM pipes on my sandcast #1, they are original no numbers and only #2 was rusted thru a little.

Does the over polishing effect resale?  My assumption is that it does adversely effect the resale on a sandcast, just because a sandcast in particular is a bike that wants to be all original.  I do try to keep the "core" of the bike very original so I could in fact swap out the engine covers, and the wheels to original finish if and when I go to sell.  The other factor for me is that both my sandcasts were build from parts, so I do not have ALL the correct parts for them so they are not true correct bikes (yet).  Even if I get them 100% correct, the purists will be able to pick them apart.  I am trying to collect everything I need, but $500+ for a double cut front fender (recently on ebay) and $700+ for a recessed ignition key.....it is getting real tough to collect all the correct stuff.

If you have an all original bike, it is more valuable unrestored if it is say a 7/10 or above.  In any worse condition than that, it becomes a toss up.  If it's below a 5, I would say it will be more valuable fully restored for sure.

My problem with an unrestored bike is that I am too anal and every little scratch will glare at me and I will want to fix it!!

Matt
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:24:37 pm by mrdeza »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I feel Matt's reply is about as good as it gets.  

Somewhere in the BB there is a thread where we 'debated' this topic before.

I restore all my bikes for myself.  I've always preferred uncoated and unpainted aluminium, polished where appropriate.  A carryover from my British bike experience.  As far as attention to finish detail, my 232 and 4363 would very probably be considered somewhat overly restored.  Nothing that some 1600 grit paper or a fine scrubbing pad could not change.

As far as the remainder of restoration goes, I feel having the correct production period parts is of the utmost importance.  I only use later manufacture oem when i cannot obtain original date of manufacture oem.  I've been really lucky with 232, it had the majority of hard to find parts on it in excellent condition.  But, i still need a 2 hole airbox, original sidecovers and a thin lip alternator cover.  Other than that, i am good.

As we know, finding the correct parts from the appropriate manufacturing period for these sandcasts can be challenging, especially the earlier the vin.

My caveat, with restoration, "Original is only once.  Restored, no matter the attention to finish detail is restored."      "Restored like original" or to "original specifications" still is not original.

No matter, really.  It's something i don't think about or worry over.  Each person should restore their bike the way they want it and there will be an interested party when the time to sell does come.  When it comes to valuing or devaluing the bike, it depends on the buyer and there is a buyer for every bike and at the right price.  I've always been happy with the prices i sell my bikes for.

No doubt, our passion is a socially acceptable obcession, as long as we have the right wife or no wife, does not break the bank and put us on the street corner selling pencils........ !

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tough one - at what point does it pass from being good original and better to be kept as is, to needs restoration to "bring it back". Its an entirely personal thing I'm sure. My sandcasts have always been a little too far gone and so have warranted(in my eyes anyway) full rebuild / restoration. You are so right with the view that restored (whatever the standard achieved) can NEVER be original.

I have been fortunate this year to aquire a 99% original 9/69 K0 (only #28 carb tops and tyres not 1969 factory fitted parts). It is way too good to "spoil" by restoration but there are fasteners and minor chrome parts which let it down in appearance due to some minor rusting. To replace these with new parts or re-finished parts would result in a bike which looks "tarted up", with an inconsistency of finish. My solution has been to replace the not so good parts with other very good 1969 parts I have as spares, so achieving a consistency of finish compatible with 1969 originailty. I will be the first to concede that any replacement of parts takes away originaility, but in this case I find this a more pleasing way to improve this so original bike as opposed to starting a full restoration (and if value is the motivator, then in this instance it has been much less costly in terms of both money and time). Just my two pennorth!

Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My solution has been to replace the not so good parts with other very good 1969 parts I have as spares, so achieving a consistency of finish compatible with 1969 originailty. I will be the first to concede that any replacement of parts takes away originaility, but in this case I find this a more pleasing way to improve this so original bike as opposed to starting a full restoration (and if value is the motivator, then in this instance it has been much less costly in terms of both money and time). Just my two pennorth!

Chris R.

Chris, methinks that is a way that would get a lot of votes. I like it. My 69 is also a treasure but there were things that needed fixing. Motor was stuck so had no choice to strip it and do a full clean up. Frame was also not nice so decided to do a tidy up based on a partial restore using very good used parts and i think it came up very nice. Best way to describe it is a not original but not restored look which seemed to work on this bike
KP
Yabba Dabba KP