Honda CB750 Sandcast

Daily Weekly Sandcast Production

kp · 3 · 1418

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve and I were discussing production figures for the first 7414 produced. Now let's make a few assumptions. Let's assume that the casting date found on cases matches with the day production started (we know that's very unlikely but we'll use this in the absence of any other date for this discussion) Let's also assume that that the last casting date we have for a set of cases matches the last bike produced ie:VIN7414. So we know the earliest casting date recorded in the VIN directory is 5 April and the last recorded casting date is 4 September which equates to near on 5 months production between VIN 302 and VIN 7319. I'm going to use 5 months for this exercise but this is pure guesswork.
I'm not sure what the working week in Japan was in 1969 but again I'm going to assume a 6 day working week to get the bikes rolling of the production line. Between April 1 and August 31 we have 153 days with 22 Sundays so production days = 131 days. For a production of 7414 machines this equates to 56.6 bikes per day. Mark, using this proposition, your bike may have been made on day 2  :o
It gets more complicated if we assume that the early production would have been much slower that say the middle and end of production. I doubt they would have produced 56 on day 1 and 56 on day 153. How much this inefficiency (learning) was is why I started this thread. If we also accept that the limiting factor in production was the supply of engine cases, maybe 56 is a reasonable figure after the first few weeks and they were at full production in week 2.
Any thoughts from others.  ??? KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
KP, Thanks for giving this topic life !  

Your topic gives rise to a question probably Bob Jameson can answer, "What were assembly line production numbers?"  Seem to recall he was in Japan for approximately 45 days and left the middle-latter end of April, IF i recall correctly.  Bob was present when vin #1 was completed two days before the production deadline of March 15, 1969.  I forgot this detail until i watched Ray's DVD last week.........

One can assume with a high degree of certainty, there were complete machines coming off the assembly line after March 15.  We also know the crankcase stamped 338 has (what we assume to be a casting date) of April 5.  What we do not know, is what date production crankcase casting first began and how many crankcases began being cast after that date.  (This is based on E338's cases being the earliest recorded vin having the earliest recorded casting date of April 5.  Until otherwise revealed, vins prior to E338 had no casting dates on their cases.)  It's safe to assume crankcase casting started some date in advance of March 13.  We know the raw castings had to be sent from the foundry to Honda for setup for machining prior to engine assembly.  We know the sand mold had to be re-created every time for every upper and lower crank case cast.  We do not know what that lag time between raw casting to machined casting is/was.  It's probably safe to assume each of these processes and procedures not only took a segment of time to complete as well as perfect.

Concurrent processes were producing frame compnents and fabrication of these components into completed frames, not to mention production and assembly of all the related parts ancillary to creating a complete motorcycle.  On top of this, not to mention these ancillary components came from various manufacturers such as Nippon Denso, Stanley, Bridgestone and who knows what others such as fastener manufacturers, etc........  The point is, production would had to have been slower and fewer vins produced early on.  Preparation and organization of all these factors would have been an enormous undertaking, just in and of it's self.

I cannot remember specific details of our conversations with each other as regards production dates of various vins, but i certainly agree with you, it would seem production numbers were lower beginning in March and higher in September.

I guess another way one could look at vins would be to determine if there are more casting dates occuring in a shorter period of time in later moths than fewer casting dates occuring in the early months of production....... ???  

Assuming E338's cases were cast April 5, perhaps one could hazard to guess these cases were assembled into a completed engine and fitted to frame 302, say, 10 days later.......  ???  April 15...........  ???  I am also hazarding the guess the painted frames came off one production line and the engines off another, each passed their own inspection, then were stamped, then taken to a general area where they were then somewhat randomly selected to fit a frame to an engine.  Bob Jameson said in his presentation, because the engines were so heavy, the bare frames were slipped on to the engine which was positioned sideways on the floor to accept the frame.

I really enjoy this sort of speculation, sort of like guessing how many angels would fit on the head of a pin, but none the less, entertaining.

Would really b great if we could find a way to make a connection with our Japanese friends to learn more.............  :)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve that's a good start to getting some detail. Can members who have their engine numbers in the registry have a look and let us have the date cast into the upper case towards the rear of the engine. Reminds me, I don't think I have my dates listed  :o Better fix that if I'm asking others to do it
Yabba Dabba KP