Honda CB750 Sandcast

Soda Blasting and other cleaning methods.

Wayne · 13 · 5292

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There has been some discussion around Soda Blasting in Mark's 97 restoration thread. As I pointed out there, if you ask 10 different people about the hows, and their experience with Soda Blasting you will get 10 different answers. I'll post a couple of links that I think are pretty helpful. A couple of important items are:

The Soda you buy at the grocery store is not the same as used in Soda Blasting equipment. Industrial use product is more like a grain of salt which disintegrates upon impact with the paint you are stripping, hence stripping it off with minimal or no damage to the substrate material. Grocery store baking soda is more like powder. It does work for small jobs though. (see link below)

The Soda may rinse off with water but if you are going to paint the surface it must be neutralized. Most shops will agree that vinegar, soap, water and rinse, rinse, rinse will do the job. Paint jobs have literally fallen off of vehicles that were not neutralized properly after the Soda Blasting.

This link has some good info on Soda Blasting:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Soda_blasting

This is a great way to build a little blaster to do small parts like carb's etc. If you don't neutralize the metal after blasting (as long as you are not painting it) the soda left after rinsing with water acts as a corrosion inhibitor so your part will look new longer.
http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Echo Steve's words. I didn't know a lot of that stuff KP
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
+2, great links.  It looks like soda blasting is great for some things, smaller parts like carbs, petcocks, etc.  But I'm getting talked out of soda blasting my cases mainly because of the paint issues.  The hot dip, ultra sonic method looks much better.  It has to be the best way to clean out oil passages too.  The vibrating fluid should reach everywhere.  Anyone have any personal experience with it?  I'm getting tired of looking at my crusty old cases and would like to get them cleaned soon once I get the last of the parts out of the lower case.

Back to soda blasting, does anyone have any personal experience with that on carbs?  How close is the finish to original?  I've heard it comes out too bright.  Anyone have suggestions for restoring carbs to their original finish?  Would the US work for that too?
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark
I have had loads of engine parts hot tanked but haven't used US yet. I did follow a thread where a rodder had found a rare Muscle Care that was in bad shape engine wise. He had the thing tanked and US cleaned and the results were unbelievable. When he received the block back from the machine shop that did the work it was basically ready for assembly. US is used on almost any metal. They use it in the jewelry business. One of our members has pic's of his home unit for doing carb's. I just can't remember who it is right now. I'll sift through the site.

There loads of links/vidoes out there. Here's guy dropping a carb in US.

ULTRASONIC CARB CLEANING
[size=

1941wld

• View Profile
Ultra sonic cleaning is the best thing going. If you want to clean brass like wire harness or take rust off of chrome or anything, straight simple green works great. But other metals require different solutions. The question is to find out what works with the different finishes/metals with out destroying anything.

I do have an extra us cleaner I'm thinking of selling for less than retail if anyone is interested. I will post some pictures of a wire harness I've cleaned with above mentioned solution.

Merry Christmas
1941wld

1941wld

• View Profile
CLEAN WIRE HARNESS

Hi Steve, It's a 7 gal. cleaner. The pics are of mine that I use. The one for sale is new in box, unopened, unused. I bought two. The link below is the specs. Digital with heater. If you are going to buy one be sure you get one with a heater. The heat really helps clean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Crest-7-Gallon-CP2600D-Ultrasonic-Heated-Cleaner-/360326659672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e5247e58

Riccardo

• View Profile
Hi 1941 wld,

i've not experience with these ultra sonic machines.

You retain them goods for the carbs or only for general cleaning?

What chemical products needs to work well? Please say me the names.

Thanks
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

markb

• View Profile
Will crankcase halves fit in the cleaner?
Thanks,
Mark
Nevermind, I checked your link and got the sizes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:13:56 pm by mark1b »
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hey Mark
Jay Leno seems to like omegasonics. I'll bet if you contacted them they could tell you who has one closest to you. Damn. I would like to own one of these things!

http://www.omegasonics.com/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7025044169449353399#
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just bought one of these yesterday off ebay. I measured up a set of cases and they will fit into this unit in 2 cleanings. I don't know what they are like but I did a Google on the company and seems they make a good product. I was tossing up buying a smaller unit but decided the extra $200 for the larger unit will be better in the long term. I bought a US cleaner a year ago and it worked for all of 30 seconds so am a little gun shy when it comes to buying stuff like this. Proof will be in the cooking  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360240026726&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Yabba Dabba KP

1941wld

• View Profile
Hi KP , this is the way to go. I have a 7 gal size and it does most everything I want to do. Let us know what are your home made solutions for cleaning the different metals.
Happy New Year from South Louisiana
1941wld