Honda CB750 Sandcast

Hello to all from the windy city!

jkp2240

• View Profile
I recently purchased a K0, 3000 bikes over the sandcast mark and want to restore it. Here is my question, can I over restore this bike, (has wrinkle tank and double cut fender and not else sure yet other early items, built 10/69), but not a sandy?
 Or should I just wait till I find a true sandcast? I would like to add to my collection. Does anyone have one for sale needing a restoration? I look forward to the experts here for any help and advice!
John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:00:18 pm by jkp2240 »

markb

• View Profile
As long as you already have it, go for it.  I have a K0 about 5000 over the sandcast mark, build date 11/69.  It was my first project.  I learned a lot about sandcasts working on it since it had a lot of sandcast parts too.  There's nothing wrong with a good K0 and you may wait awhile for a sandy.  Welcome aboard,
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

1941wld

• View Profile
Yes, you can over restore a Honda. Honda was trying to get as many bike out as they could per day. The paint today is better than they used. Their chrome was not the show chrome everone want to do today, and they (Honda did not polish their aluminum to a chrome like finish. Do you want to over restore it? It is easier to over restore it than it is to make it look like the day it came out of the factory.
Your bike is a very nice year and model. It will run the same as a sandcast with 67 hp. It is what most of us sandcast owners want to use for our daily rider instead of riding our most prized sandcast. Build it and ride it, be proud of it for it is the Sandcast brother.I would keep it together and not use it as donor bike. Just keep looking for a sandcast, they are out there. We find them all the time.
Rumor has it that a guy bought a CB750 at the Barber auction and after looking at noticed it was a sandcast. I'm not sure if that is a rumor or the truth, but that the story.
Merry Christmas,
1941wld

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome John and let Steve know your VIN and engine number for the registry. I echo the comments of others. My K0 is VIN 11970 built 10/69 and if I was to restore it I would do exactly the same for it as for my sandcasts KP
Yabba Dabba KP

cb7504

• View Profile
John:
       Welcome and enjoy the web site. Marty K.

jkp2240

• View Profile
Guys,
Thanks for all the kind words! Looking forward to getting into this project soon.
John