Who knows what it is

Engine covers
0 (0%)
Fork tubes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Bigbilltoady

• View Profile
Hello everyone. This is my first post!! Thanks to all that had to walk my dumb butt through it. Ok, the clear coating on engine covers, lower fork tubes, etc. Does anyone know what it is? Tried buffing it off the clutch cover with heavy compound, no luck. The cover is missing most of it so I figured I'd just buff off the rest with a heavy duty stand alone type buffer. It might have come off eventually and then again I might have set the thing on fire first. What ever it is is not something that we could replicate from a spray can. That type of product, such as VHT high temp clear would buff off very quickly. I'm guessing that back in the day the factory used some kind of sprayable high temp plastic material. Thats why its so durable and thick, I'll bet somebody still does it some where! I doubt that it is a lost art or process. I'll bet somebody some where is making parts coated with this material. So far this is as far as I've gone in terms of investigating it. Sure would please me and every one else restoring these old bikes to be able to do it right unless some one all ready has a line on this. I believe in doing it right. Any body can break out a spray can of clear and say "thats done". I have a tendency to get a little carried away when it comes to my work. Any ideas?? Thanks to all

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just stripped a couple of my covers using some paint stripper. It revealed a fairly high polished piece underneath. At the link below you can see them, plus the rear flange I have not yet stripped. It was under years of grease and was perfectly preserved! The finish was more highly polished than I expected. I'm going to shoot to match the rest of my aluminum to that piece. I'll use Eastwoods Diamond Clear for the clearcoat finish.

http://cb750sandcastonly.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=335.105
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Aircraft Remover works good for stripping the clear coat too.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

1941wld

• View Profile
It could also be the same product used on the brake and clutch levers in a thicker application.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
That's a good observation, Conrad !  You may be on to something.  The coverings on the br/cl.levers appear to have been/are a clear hard plastic coating.  And, it seems whatever is on the eng.covers is some sort of a plastic coating; i've seen it peeled, peeling, flaking and semi-adhering but loose with oxidation underneath the coating.  I don't believe paint degrades that way.