Honda CB750 Sandcast

Diecast on eBay

kp · 27 · 6151

Riccardo

• View Profile
When knock strong, someone opens to you.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

Bickle

Confucius?   ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:28:29 pm by Bickle »

Riccardo

• View Profile
No, an italian way to say.

When you make rumor, big rumor about a fact, someone ever comes out, discovering himself.

I hope was clear. ??? ??? ???
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

Bickle

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I know there's been alot of discussion about this bike.

As the seller says, I'm sure he's given the bike alot of attention to make it look like it does.

It's too bad the seller doesn't attend to improper/incorrect fitment details such as the wrinkled rubber boot over upper brake hose, the crooked gaping lower airbox section and the front K70.  

All easy fixes that would no longer be such visibly obvious issues creating suspicion there could be other areas of concern.  

Left with these flaws while advertising the bike on ebay as a "pristine restoration," creates discrepancy, making one wonder what other issues the bike could have as well as creating doubt of the seller's integrity, considering the bike is called a "pristine restoration."  

Bickle

It is a very nice bike for sure. But when you make statements like " The bike is correct down to the KO exhaust with no serial numbers." and you are selling a bike on ebay.....and one side cover emblem is wrong......the oil lines looks stainless.....and the mirrors are wrong.....among many other things.......I dunno??????

kmb69

• View Profile
Just my observation: This thread is about the man as much as it is about the bike.

I spoke to John about a week ago during the process of purchasing his "28" carb caps (along with the carbs they came on) and he seems to be a decent sort of guy. He is a retired person that supplements his retirement income by "restoring" old bikes. This may be his 1st 750 restoration and he had no idea of all the idiosynchrosies applicable to these early 750's. I think the emails and responses within this thread have been quite an eyeopener for him. Having said that, I am quite sure he still does not have the picture that some of us do regarding what constitutes a "pristine" restoration. Hell, I assembled the first SC out of the crate at Pasadena Honda and I am STILL learning thanks to this Forum and other invaluable resources.

Please do not misunderstand. I am not sanctioning (not that I have the authority or responsibility) his listing on eBay. In fact, I mentioned to him that he had a RH side cover emblem on the LH side cover and I have no idea whether he was able to correct that issue or not. It appears that he used the original listing pictures for this listing. He states that it has been restored and includes the fact in this latest listing that the bike has replacement cases which I really don't think he knew originally. While some of his listing comments may not stand up to the level of scruntiny one might desire, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I am not inferring that his bike is trash either just that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that perfection is in the mind of the perfectionist. It does have many of the rare, hard to find, original parts. I guess all I am really trying to say is that IMO, he is not intentionally misrepresenting his bike as we know many do.

Keith

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good Morning you ratbags ;D
I'm the bunny who started this thread and that was originally about the use (or misuse) of the web site as being somehow "The Place" for registering and authenticating K0s. I won't revisit this as JW has corrected the issue I raised. JW there are some things with your bike that do need to be corrected, not major, but nevertheless they are noticeable and it would pay you to maybe consider fixing these issues and re-taking photographs. What is being stated by those posting here are items that need to be corrected for your bike to be considered  an original pristine example.
I have found that the best way to rebuild that "original" bike is to take as many photographs before and during disassembly as it is when the masterpiece is complete. A lesson here is Mark's VIN 97 restoration which reinforces that simple but very important lesson. KP
Yabba Dabba KP

jwsdreammachines

• View Profile
Uh Oh...here I go again, stirring up more trouble. Thought I should come on here and explain why I listed the bike again. An Ebayer from down under contacted me two days ago and convinced me he was a sincere buyer at $9,800 and then told me to list it as a buy it now for that amount. I complied, he backed out, found out he was a fraud and had no intention of buying it.... I got frustrated and put it a a price I thought it should sell at in spite of all the bikes shortcomings. It has been quite an education I must say... you all are the most knowledgable serious club out there.....and I can really appreciate your passion for the loves of your life. I had a Sandcast years ago, sold it to a guy in France for way to little money and If I still had it today I would be as proud of it as you all are.
If anyone has seen my website, my son and I do our best to resurect Vintage Japanese bikes. We are very proud of our work we have a long way to go to live up to the standards of correct restoration on an original first year CB750. I had visions of selling it for $15,000 or so...I have now been better educated on the value of the restored die cast.
I honestly appreciate all the sincere club members that have sent me private messages pointing out certain oversites of my resto. You have some awesome people in your club.....I know quite a few of you from business dealings over the years. From now on I think I'll stick to CL77's, Bridgestone 350's etc going forward that don't have the tradition of perfect detail that these first year bikes command. All in all I am in need of turning the bike so I can buy some fresh inventory. I have a lot of time and money wrapped up in it but would be willing to entertain and reasonable offer from the club members.

Respectively,
JW

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Dictionary definition of restoration:  "restoration  (ˌrɛstəˈreɪʃən)  — n   1.  the act of restoring or state of being restored, as to a former or original condition, place, etc."  

For whatever it's worth, "Restoration" is word that has as many meanings as there are people who interpret their own definition of the word.  

These different interpretations do not necessarily make any one of these people unscrupulous, but certainly can result in varying results of a completed project.

I think we can all agree not all who are ignorant are unscupulous and not all who are unscrupulouss are ignorant.  

In my case i can say, in many areas i am quite ignorant, but surely not unscupulous.  Nor do i believe JW is unscrupulous.  But i will go with his eyes having been opened into details concerning things K0/sandcast.

For me the definition of restoration should include the words, complete, correct and like-original.  These words are the ideal some of us strive to achieve, sometimes taken to the point of "perfection" in all details.  And certainly, our obcessive, painstaking attention to detail is reflected in the exquisite beauty of the finished project.

I would say Bo Derek was perfect, but then, I wasn't married to her and I'm guessing she had a morning routine similar to mine.........  ;D

Keith makes a great point; anyone who ventures into this website in for an "eyeopener."  

From a restoration standpoint, 10 years ago i did not know squat about sandcasts and only had my prior years of experience restoring a respectable number of American and British machines from the 30's through the 60's.  

As Keith says, we all have alot to learn.  Thank you for saying that, Keith.

The important thing is we do not "eat our young."

And, I'm sticking with my favorite saying....... "Original is only once."

Finally, I agree with KP, SOOC's purpose is NOT to authenticate anyone's sandcast or K0 for the purpose of implying or inferring an intrinsic or extrinsic value.

Our mission and purpose states, "To provide a membership forum for owners of the Honda "CB750" Production motorcycle, manufactured until September 1969, inclusive of engine numbers CB750 1000001 to CB750 1007414, known contemporarily as the 'sandcast.'  To share information about Prototype and Pre-production models.  Preserving the posterity of the CB750 'sandcast' motorcycles in decades to come and for the enjoyment of it's owners now.  Our intent is not to be viewed as exclusive nor elitist - instead to perhaps prevent these machines from slipping into obscurity by 2069 or any other time."

This is what SOOC is about.

KEITH....... !!!!!!!!! Sounds like you have a great story to share........?????????

Tell us more about your experience....... "I assembled the first SC out of the crate at Pasadena Honda............"

kmb69

• View Profile
Steve, I am very busy right now. The shop is running 24-6 which is a good thing but I am buried. I have a lot of history with this particular bike. Wish I knew the VIN but I do not. Will tell the story when I get a little extra time. Keith