Honda CB750 Sandcast

New owner from dynamic Denton, TX

greenjeans

• View Profile
Hi guys, I'm a regular over at sohc4.net and yesterday I lucked into my first genuine SandCast.

Frame: 1003144   motor: 1003337

I have run an add on CL non stop for the better part of 5 years.  Most times, people flag it, but every now and then I get a hit.   I've found all 5 of my previous projects on CL.    Last week I had a guy email me and tell me he had a 73 CB750A.   I emailed back and told him I probably wasn't interested (since I thought it was an A) but to go ahead and send me some photos.   Imagine my surprise when I saw what appeared to be an early CB.   I picked up the phone and tried to get more out of him.  He's an old retired hot rod guy and a buddy of his gave this old Honda to him to repay a debt.   I told him I didn't think it was a '73 but I was very interested anyway.  Had him take a look at the serial numbers.  Oh my,  the frame was a sandcast.  Most of the parts looked like a sandcast.   However, the motor fell in the 8000 range, so I figured it had been replaced at some point.   I still had to have it.

Went down and looked today, and imagine my surprise when I discovered that he had misread the serial number off the engine !!!   I frickin' found a sancast.

Now, since I work for the notoriously cheap University of North Texas, I will have to do the restoration on a very strict budget.   Luckily, I can do all the engine, electrical, and paint and body work.   I won't have to pay for any labor - only parts.   It is my intention to do a complete tear down and rebuild.    Every nut, every bolt.   I will re-use everything that is there - trying to keep the parts original to the bike in place.

The biggest pain will be finding a reputable plater for the nuts and bolts.   The biggest expense will be the exhaust.    Wish me luck.   I will be documenting every penny I spend on this beast with the hope of keeping the total money spent at a reasonable level.   I won't count my labor - it fun and free.   I'm not going to count beer money either.

Wish me luck.   Probably take me the better part of the winter to accumulate the parts I will need.
Anybody have a line on a set of pipes ? ;)

Here she is:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:41:40 pm by greenjeans »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Welcome and WOW !  I know THAT feeling !!  Believing the bike is one thing, then finding out it's something special.  What a nice unmolested example, albeit missing a few things, it appears the bike's pretty much been left alone since leaving the factory.  APPEARS to have #28 caps?!?  Great pictures!  Looking forward to hearing more!

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome aboard. Nice find for sure. Wish I could find another to finance restoring 576!  ;)
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Steve, if you can spot the 28's you've got better eyes than I do.   ;) If it's got 'em just another plus!

Hey John.  Welcome over here.  Been watching your posts on the SOHC4.  You've definately come to the right place.  This might be the best score I've seen.  I'd be jealous if I wasn't so excited for you.

Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Well, it's kind of hard to tell, but the rings look thin and the rubber cable caps look small, so, Let us know !  It's always great to see another sandcast surface.  Thanks for sharing !

greenjeans

• View Profile
My mind is a bit fuzzy after the realization of what I now have, and also from many hours reading up on the nuances of the sand cast...

What are #28 caps ?

Going to spend the evening clearing out a shelving unit to dedicate to this restoration.  The fun begins.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Go to the bottom of the page on http://www.cb750sandcastonly.com/support12.htm#Fuel

After you get a chance to check if the caps are 28's, then we'll see if my power of observation was accurate or just wishful thinking !

I'm guessing you've got less sleep than usual, the past 36 hours !  If so, your sleep deficit could be caused by Sandcast Fever.

cb7504

• View Profile
greenjeans:
               Very nice sweet find, the good part is it still has most of the hard to find parts still on the bike. Keep us up to date on your progress. It will be nice to see the finished product. Marty K.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome to the only Board in the Universe  ;D Yes they do look like they have something on the top of the caps when the pics are enhanced Damn great find and looks to be amazingly original KP
Yabba Dabba KP

donzie

• View Profile
Welcome greenjeans... a few of us are right here in BatonRouge if we can help. did you get her for the $500??

greenjeans

• View Profile
You guys were right - they are 28's.      The bolts have 8's on them - at least the majority of them do.  

I think it's pretty much unmolested since 1985.   The wiring harnes is completely intact and untouched.  

I don't really see anything that looks as if it has been replaced.  The sprockets don't look like they've ever been replaced.

Stator cover and the transmission cover have been off at some point (screws a bit rounded out - dead give away)

Screws on the other side clutch - look like they have never been touched.

I haven't touched a bolt on it yet.   Still just staring at it and getting ready to document and start the tear down.  

I will probably change the oil, set the timing, tappets, and give the carbs a quick cleaning and see if she'll fire up before I tear it down.

Still can't believe that the inside of the tank is so clean...

Sandcast fever is definitely setting in.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:56:45 pm by greenjeans »

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Staring at it is a great starting point !  (I thought those ring nuts on carb caps looked thin..... :))  I've always thought of the CB750 as the "Model A" of modern motorcyles.....  Tough, reliable, easy to work on and good looking.  Is the oil filter cover round or finned ?  I'd suggest removing the sump pan and clean out the sediment, check for debris, before changing oil, prior to starting.

greenjeans

• View Profile
Staring at it is a great starting point !  (I thought those ring nuts on carb caps looked thin..... :))  I've always thought of the CB750 as the "Model A" of modern motorcyles.....  Tough, reliable, easy to work on and good looking.  Is the oil filter cover round or finned ?  I'd suggest removing the sump pan and clean out the sediment, check for debris, before changing oil, prior to starting.

Yep, I'll definitely drop the pan and clean it out along with the oil pump.

The oil filter cover is finned.   

got things soaking in PB blaster...gonna dive in after lunch.  (I took the day off)

greenjeans

• View Profile
Quick update- 

Got the carbs off and soaking.   They were filled with more stuff than I have ever seen.  A surprising benefit, the junk looks like it protected the inside surfaces of the carbs  :D

One of the "X" shaped clips that hold the needle in the carb slides went flying when I disassembled them - anybody have an extra ?

Got the oil filter bolt off with out too much trouble - PB blaster & 5 minutes with a heat gun, small tap of a hammer and she gave way.  The filter was deteriorated - hopefully just from sitting since 1985.  Dropped the oil pan - good news there - no water in the oil and no metal in the bottom of the pan.    It's bare aluminum - not painted.  Good sign there.

Got the plugs out - they actually look good - color wise.      I have some new ones.      1, maybe 2 of my pipes are completely gone - the other 2 are good enough to run.

Took out the clutch basket - plates were stuck together, but came apart easily and are soaking in oil.   I'll clean up the steels and put them all back in.   No rust in there.  Good.

Points plate and point are intact and look good, I'll give the point a dressing with my points file.

I think this thing is going to fire right up.  Famous last words....

greenjeans

• View Profile
Good news, bad news depending on how you look at it.   Just looking a bit more closely at the exhaust, I do not think that my pipes are the "Lotus Root" type.
Still haven't been able to get a baffle out (haven't really tried that hard yet.)  Got them soaking in PB blaster.   They are still non-stamped pipes.

Maybe it saves me a tiny bit of money ?