Honda CB750 Sandcast

early carb set on ebay

Riccardo

• View Profile
I've spent a lot of money to purchase parts on ebay.
The research of the best part, or NOS, sometime goes over our necessity.
Many bikes are complete and unmolested but our garage is full of parts and parts, over our life.
In substance: a fever.
This carbs are another testimony of our great passion.
I cannot comment this ebay result, i respect it.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I know there are a lot of us who don't have the cash resources to compete with some of these big spenders. Nevertheless, if one needs a part bad enough and that part is a rare bird, then I would (and have) do what it takes. He who flinches loses and cash cuts it. :'(
Yabba Dabba KP

Bowswell

• View Profile
we just always sell a kidney ::)
cb750 k4-06/74
cb750k4 01/74
cb350f 1973
cb400T 1978
vulcan meanstreak

cb7504

• View Profile
If the early carburetors were one of the few or last item to complete a one, two or early three digit sandcast CB750. I could see a sandcast enthusiast going for it. Marty K.   

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Restorers are not any different than any other discerning motorcycle enthusiast.  In order for the bike to be right, it has to be RIGHT.  Racers are this way, they can spend ten's and even hundreds of thousands of dollars on building a competetive machine.  A full blown sandcast CB750 restoration is small change compared to values of early American and European pre-WWII motorcycles.  Every rare part or machine has it's value, sometimes this value is more subjective than others.  Am sure you've heard of Barrett Jackson auction.  These parts correct for early sandcasts are pretty exclusive as is the early CB750.  If you can't live with an incorrect 17L tank on an early vin, you can't paste several $100 bills where the 19L tank is supposed to go.  Back when i was editor of the Indian 4 Cylinder News, from 1978-1991, the Indian 4 club had idenitified around 485 Indian 4's in existence.  In the late 60's a nice clean original running Indian 4 would sell for around $500 to $1,000.  By the early 90's, if you could find one, the same would sell for around $25,000.  Today, they are selling for $65,000 and up. I firmly beleive we can expect to see an upward trend for our sandcasts, if we reflect on prices 10 years ago prices today.  It's easy to imagine sandcasts continuing to evaluate.  Vic World was selling his restorations for 29,000 and up, depending on vin.  Then the economy to a nose dive.  But, natural law being what it is, what was up, goes down and then what's down goes up.  A number of our restorations are comparable to Vic's bikes and ditto every bit in authenticity and value.  It's easy for me to imagine a pristine correct restoration of any RH horn bike being worth $30,000 in another 5 years, if not now.  It's been several years since there was a pristine correct authentic restored sandcast on ebay and last i remember the bike went for lower-mid $20 K.  Vic's 6xxx bike w/ 441 miles sold for $42,000 as i recall at the time the economy had cratered.  Any vin under around 300 is going to have essentially all the same parts as any 2 digit.  They should all be worth the similar values, assuming they are all in the same condition.  But it would also seem, the lower the vin in each of the 1,2,3, digit categories would engender added interest, desireablity and probably higher dollar value.  Certainly, a 1 digit, a 2 digit and a 3 digit bikes are all in classes of there own.  And, there is fewer of these digits in each lower category.  9-1 digits.  90-2 digits.  900-3 digits.  And for all practical purposes we've figure out there's, at best, very few, differences between vins 100 to 300.  I don't even know there are any signicant differences between 2 digit and early 3 digit bikes, for that matter, so the 2 digit "Cool Factor," should make a 2 digit worth more than a 3 digit.  How much, i don't know.  I think to really command max dollar value, you'd better own a 1 digit.  Serious restorers take making their bikes being correct very seriously, they'll do anything to make their bikes correct and perfect, so cost is no object.  You'll sacrifice to get the part you want, you'll sell a bike or two you can live without or sell parts you don't need to buy the actual part you need, or if you are lucky enough to have the cash, then you'll pay whatever price is necessary to get that part in your hands.  It's all relative.  If you can afford it, get it, if you want it.  If you can;t afford it, build a relationship with the owner and beg him or her to make a deal with you so you can get th prized object.  I paid $2300 for my 19L tank and $1600 for my early seat and $5000 for my E254 engine.....  So, $2000 for a set of carbs......  No problimo !  Of course, there will be people who think we are crazy for spending crazy money on parts, but myself i spend only minutes out of the year wondering what people think of me.  Think as they will of me, it's not my business !  My motto is, "If a dollar bill can be made to fit in place of the part i need, I'd be happy.  But that's not the case.  And if i have to put a wrong part on a restoration, it GNAWS at me until i can find the right part.

Riccardo

• View Profile
I agree perfectly Steve.
I cannot say more.
You are THE President/Poet of our SOOC!!!!!!!!
Sincerely.
riccardo
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

markb

• View Profile
I agree perfectly Steve.
So do I.  And I hope we're all right.  Although the money isn't why I do it, it's nice to know they are valuable.  Many other restorers can never get the money out that they put in.  I think in many cases we can.  I'm sure glad I didn't need those carbs.  :)
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
If i hadn't owned a '69 in '69, i don't know that i'd care that much.  But, i did and because of 4779 i have wonderful memories !  You are a great group of guys, we are a small group of passionate enthusiasts !  Every nut, bolt, washer and fastener matters !  Glad i didn't need those carbs too !  Remember what finding bikes and parts was like before the computer age, much less the advent of ebay thereafter ?!?  i remember writing letters, making phone calls, talking to so and so to find out about so and so, driving  hundreds and even thousands of miles, only to find out the part i was after was not the part being represented or had been sold to the person who got there just before i did.

markb

• View Profile
i remember writing letters, making phone calls, talking to so and so to find out about so and so, driving  hundreds and even thousands of miles, only to find out the part i was after was not the part being represented or had been sold to the person who got there just before i did.
Even with ebay I still do all that!  :D :D :D
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)