Honda CB750 Sandcast

New member from Land of Enchantment

kindofblue

• May be procuring a 1969 CB750
    • View Profile
    • Free online Drinker's Check-up
Hi all,
I've registered here because I may have the opportunity to buy my best high school friend's dad's CB750 (~1969-70). Dave's dad sold the CB750 to Dave's  cousin a number of years ago before he passed away. The cousin has had it gathering dust in his garage ever since. I just learned about it last week and have asked my friend to ask his cousin if he'd be willing to sell it. So we'll see. I'd be thrilled at the possibility of restoring this CB750. Dave's dad took meticulous care of his bikes so it was in excellent condition before it started gathering dust. I know it'll need a lot of work but if I can get it for a reasonable price, I'll get it and take it from there.

I'm reasonably skilled at bike maintenance having done routine maintenance on all my bikes since I resumed riding ~10 years ago after a long hiatus. I rode in high school and college but it'd been 30 years when I resumed riding 10 years ago. That said, I don't have technical skills for things like rebuilding carbs, etc. I do, however, have a friend in our local BMW club who's an excellent mechanic and retired math teacher. He is meticulous and has offered to help me if I can procure this CB750.

I remember Dave's dad telling me that he got the first CB750 off the boat from Japan in Seattle. He was a long-time rider who'd bought a number of Hondas from a dealer near the old Seattle Ranier's baseball stadium but its name escapes me. That's why I suspect it's a sandcast.

I currently ride a 2013 Triumph Explorer. Prior to that I had 2 BMW GSs, a Triumph Tiger 1050, 2 FJRs, etc...

My username, kindofblue, is a tribute to Miles Davis. And blue is my favorite color on bikes ;-)

If I get a chance to inspect this CB750 what would you recommend that I look for? I wouldn't attempt to start up the bike without a careful cleaning of the fuel system, replacing fluids, etc... so what are your thoughts on how to come up with a fair offer for it? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

kindofblue

• View Profile
Hi all,
Well the current owner finally sent me a bunch of pics of his Uncle (my friend's dad's) 69 CB750. I'll post a couple here and here is a link to the album online w/24 pics
https://plus.google.com/photos/116648781112979879738/albums/5845701327914734641?authkey=COWPyITaksfVPw

Here are the questions I posed to him (in addition to asking about the amount of rust in the gas tank).
1. Do you know whether the engine is frozen or not? You can check by putting the bike on its centerstand, putting it in 6th gear and seeing if you can turn the rear wheel which will turn the pistons.

2. Is the headlight in the fairing taken from the stock headlight?

3. Is the side case on the left side just under the seat broken? It's hard to tell from the pics.

4. The left upper exhaust is really rusted out. Is there similar rust on the other pipes that don't show up in the pics?

5. It looks like you may have detached the fuel lines from the bottom of the carbs. Do you recall draining the carbs before storing it?

6. How much were you thinking you'd want for the bike? It looks to me like it's going to take a lot of time, effort, and $$, to bring it back.

7. It looks like the headlight had been taken off and used or wired to the Vetter (sp?) fairing.

8. I am a bit concerned about the stains suggesting leaks from the gaskets on the motor, at the very least.

What I'm wondering and would appreciate your input on is what would be a fair price for this bike given its apparent condition. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Welcome !

Kind of hard to tell by pics, but does look like vin pad could be sandcast.... ?

9 hole clutch cover = sandcast.  10 = diecast

When you look at the bike, make note of the frame engine vins.

What can be seen, bike looks in great retrievable condition.

Myself, if a sandcast, i would not worry about anything but establishing a selling price you are happy with.  Other than the cases being broken or the engine seized, i would not be concerned w/ other details.

Difficult to say much more without knowing if sandcast or not.

kindofblue

• View Profile
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Mike, the current owner, was having difficulty finding the VIN #s. As you can see, his garage is a bit cluttered. I'll ask about the clutch cover.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

1941wld

• View Profile
It is a sandcast.
It's in great condition.
Needs a lot of cleaning.
13446 miles is low miles.
Could be a left hand horn mount bike.
I can not see the right hand horn mount.
All can be fixed.
Buy it!
Count yourself lucky.
Try to buy it for under 4k, start at 2k.
It's worth a lot more.
Welcome aboard!

kindofblue

• View Profile
Gentlemen, I sincerely thank you for your feedback. I will proceed with attempting to procure it and let you all know what happens.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

kindofblue

• View Profile
I hope you don't mind my asking: What is the significance of a left vs. right hand horn bike?

Could be a left hand horn mount bike.
I can not see the right hand horn mount.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

markb

• View Profile
The left hand horn is an earlier VIN, before 3950, and therefore more sought after and valuable and for sure a sandcast frame.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kindofblue

• View Profile
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'd searched the site for discussion about it but didn't find much.

The left hand horn is an earlier VIN, before 3950, and therefore more sought after and valuable and for sure a sandcast frame.
Mark
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

CBman

• View Profile
Hi all. If this bike is really original, the VIN should be in 2721-3950 range.

kindofblue

• View Profile
Hi all,
Well after much consideration I've decided to pass on this project. I think it's going to take more time, effort, and $$$ than I want to put into the project. I do want to thank you all though for your advice and encouragement.

My friend, Dave, has a set of OEM pipes that I think may be 750 pipes that he's interested in selling. He said he'd send me pics when he can but it may be a while as his work has gotten busy lately up in Seattle (real estate). If they are OEM 4-4 CB750 pipes, I'll post an ad for them in the for sale section.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.

kindofblue

• View Profile
Hi all,
After posting that I was going to pass on this project, I've received numerous inquiries from forum members asking about buying this bike for themselves. I've already forwarded on several who initially asked and I believe that the final negotiations are going on right now. So for now, please don't send me inquiries about the bike that I then have to pass on to the owner. Thanks.
Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.