Honda CB750 Sandcast

questions on un-doing frame mods

sandydogg

• View Profile
hi steven,

you are welcome for the pics, i will take lots more as time passes.

been super busy, hired a new helper for the shop. been working my fingers to the bone. time for some help. been working solo for about a year, so it was time.

i actually called this guy in nc, a nice guy he was... BUT although he wouldn't tell me the exact reserve, i think it was over 8 large. i got some quotes from uship for around $500. i'm not too sure the bike would have been worth $9000 delivered to my door. as for the frame, it was nice and around 10xxx but it had a chrome triple clamp/swing arm/oil tank. one exhaust pipe had a hole. the ducktail seat was hardened. the motor # was not correct. the carbs were k1 or k2. both side covers and the airbox were cracked. it had a few k1/k2/k? parts mixed in with it. the paint was smudged. i am NOT nitpicking a 1970 bike... but at 9 g's i would have expected the "list" to be shorter. i was thinking more like $6k or $7k tops but the seller made it clear that it wasn't enough to meet reserve price so i didn't even bid. the reserve might have even been $10k. i am not sure. i just didn't feel the "bang factor". it was and is a super nice bike, but it was not original. plus i was kind of worried about just how MANY k2 parts were on the bike. oh yeah it had a k2 front brake too, heck i already have 3 of those. man if i spend 10 large on a k0 it seems it should have EVERY part i need, plus make me back some $$$ on the motor. oh yeah, i think the k0 seller had maybe $3-4000 in motor work alone. but it was a higher number motor not an early k0. maybe i could have flipped the motor for $5k but i doubt it.

was thinking of making a chopper out of all the old cb750 chopper parts i have  ;) but heck, i just got my head shaved since i don't have time to comb my hair. as much as i would like to build a chopper along with the sandie i guess it ain't going to happen. anyways thanks for the heads up, i am looking for a clean k0 for sure. be super nice to find one that didn't have $$$ worth of pro motor work done.

cheers, john

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve's right John. When I got 576 I remember myself as saying something like "I can't afford a full on restoration, and I'm not sure I have the skills to do the same" or something to that effect. Here I am, a couple of years later, scrounging the rare stuff, KP's correct brake lines, Mark's mirror stems, Lecrams face plates for the gauges, re-painting the black parts because they aren't glossy enough and the list goes on. It is indeed sandcast fever.  ;D
[size=

sandydogg

• View Profile
haw haw, thanks guys  ;D

been really busy breaking in the new helper. saw another k0 on ebay, it was too far from being correct so i passed. the frame should be here any time. i will probably be pulling the motor this week or next, kinda nice to have extra hands. will maybe build a crate for it so i can flip it over and get the oil pan off. i already know what it is gonna look like  :o since i have torn down 3-4 k2 motors. might as well get some stuff done on the motor as i am waiting for the frame. plan is:

1) get frame welding done, paint done, swing arm mounted

2) slap k2 front clip and rear wheel on temporarily, so i can roll it around

3) drop cleaned and adjusted motor in frame

4) wait for the right k0 to come along for donor parts

5) wait some more, everyone seems to think non-correct k0's are worth a ton of money right now

hey... one question... i KNOW a wet cell battery is CORRECT but it seems to make sense to put a mf dry cell in. the wet ones can sure make a mess. opinions?? what do you guys run?? hate to see acid drip on new paint!

cheers, john

kenhan

• View Profile
Hi, regarding vnz00 and hondasan speaking about the shock brackets. I try to attach a couple of pictures from my K2-frame and one from my newly started restoration of  my second Sandy - 1005321. You can clearly see the differences from bracket length (short is Sandcast) and radius (on K2-bracket). I also have a frame with the short bracket with no 1025997 so it should be possible to get one of this early frames on Ebay to marry your front end.

Good luck!
/Ken
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5084 - running
1969 CB750 Sandcast #5128 - Running
1970 CB750 next project
1975 K2 (K3-5 donīt exist in Sweden) - Running
1981 Goldwing 1100 Interstate

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 ;) i will never buy a acid battery ever again ,i will always buy a gel battery from now on

one question... i KNOW a wet cell battery is CORRECT but it seems to make sense to put a mf dry cell in. the wet ones can sure make a mess. opinions?? what do you guys run?? hate to see acid drip on new paint!

i have used mf batteries (gel) on two of my CB750 k0's for the last two or three years with no problems ,the cranking speed seems a lot faster too,i used to go through a acid battery almost every year, they never lasted much longer than the warranty,i don't think acid batteries like to be left for long periods of non use

sandydogg

• View Profile
hi everybody,

well the sandcast got pushed into my warehouse... i have suffered from a huge rash of breakdowns this last year. furnace/ac/vehicles/home repairs/kitchen appliances etc etc etc it seems everything crapped out all at once. between repairs and remodels, i have given every extra minute to my 2 year old and 4 year old. i pretty much had no choice but to put off any work on the old sandy. it was with a heavy heart that i trailered it to my warehouse and put it under a cover, a couple of months ago.

lo and behold, tonight i decided to get on evilbay and see if any early k0's were up for sale. i don't quite have the time to devote to the resto yet, but pretty much wanted to keep the fire burning. well well, i found an early k0 #93xx out in cali, for a reasonable price, and went ahead and bought her. all original with wrinkle tank/ducktail seat/double cut fender, all the goodies i need to breathe life into my old girl.

now, finally, i can move ahead! i have spent the last hour poring over numbers... after selling all the chopper stuff off my sandy i think i will just about break even... so, for $0 i will have the frame neck, motor, gauges, front wheel, carbs, and a few other things. i will break down #93xx all the way, and sell off all of the parts i don't need, after doing so i will be into the start of this project for around $2500. i have to get the frame welding and painting done, the tins all painted, sure there will be some more cash out of pocket, but holy toledo for $2500 i will basically have a whole fairly early sand cast (albeit in parts) which i would have never dreamed was possible! and the motor is intact and runs on my sandie!

for the first time in about a year it seems my luck isn't bad!!  ;D

will surely be seeking the boards advice in the coming months, and will be posting pics all along the way!

yipee!

cheers, john

kmb69

• View Profile
Congratulations John. Saw that K0 you got. Looked pretty good and appears to have most of what you need. Glad to see your fortune turning your way. I would be interested in buying the frame and motor from the K0 if the numbers are good on both and if you are interested in selling to help fund the SC.

Keith

sandydogg

• View Profile
hi keith,

sure pm me or call me tomorrow at 4o2 612 8oo1 anytime after noon

i have to get back to work and make some $  ;)

all un-needed parts from 93xx will be sold off to help pay for the resto, selling stuff on evilbay doesn't pay all that well but i get to stay home with my little kids  ;D

i was an electrical foreman in another life, but the economy went pretty sour for construction, selling parts is what i do!

cheers, john

vnz00

• View Profile
Nice work John- that early die cast will make life a lot easier for your restoration.