Honda CB750 Sandcast

Clutch Outer Ring Loose (?)

Wayne · 5 · 2087

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Is it normal for the Clutch Outer Ring to be "loose" once the clutch is assembled?

I should have paid more attention to this detail when I took the clutch apart. Perhaps it's normal but it would seem the Clutch Outer Ring would rattle under these circumstances??

I have checked and double checked my assembly as per the diagram. The smaller Friction Disc B is "nested" in the Outer Ring and installed first against the outer clutch plate. Behind Friction disc B, the next pressure plate and so on. The reason for the play the way I see it is that the tabs on the Clutch Outer Ring are not as thick as a metal clutch plate therefore it is going to be loose between the tabs of Friction Disk B and the first Friction Disk A. Just want to make sure whether it's normal or not so I can move on! Things like this keep me awake at night! ;)

[size=

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 :o yes i keep having the same nightmare , i have even thought of removing outer ring altogether, because i cant see what purpose it does apart from just rattle around,as this part was discontinued with the early k0's or am i missing something here :-\

kmb69

• View Profile
:o yes i keep having the same nightmare , i have even thought of removing outer ring altogether, because i cant see what purpose it does apart from just rattle around,as this part was discontinued with the early k0's or am i missing something here :-\

It is there to keep the outer clutch hub "fingers" from spreading under centrifugal force at high RPM's and tearing stuff up. The later models actually have a ring welded to the fingers serving the same purpose. I would strongly advise not to run without one.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

It is there to keep the outer clutch hub "fingers" from spreading under centrifugal force at high RPM's and tearing stuff up. The later models actually have a ring welded to the fingers serving the same purpose. I would strongly advise not to run without one.

That is correct on it's purpose. Even the later design in sandcasts and K0's used it when the clutch centre was changed out, the eliminating the need for the outer clutch plate (it was part of the center) and the Ring, clutch plate stopper. The Clutch Outer Ring which "nests" the first friction plate was used up to VIN 1056079. I'm actually detailing the differences in the 2 clutch setups in our Technical Section as we speak. (that won't be ready for a while)

So it sounds like this "looseness" is normal. Hopefully it doesn't rattle too much.
[size=

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
It is there to keep the outer clutch hub "fingers" from spreading under centrifugal force at high RPM's and tearing stuff up.

::) yes i did think it was for something like that ,and later clutch baskets are beefed up a bit , but i would have thought that the outer ring would have been a tight fit on the clutch basket ,as it is now its a very loose fit, i still think it does nothing only rattle about although it does stop the first friction plate moving about :o
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:15:43 pm by steff750 »