Honda CB750 Sandcast

Sandcast oil filter housing - original versus replica

Joe · 19 · 8418

Joe

• View Profile
Hi everybody,

doing sandcast restoration for now over 4 years I want to inform all sandcast owners about my recent progress in the reproduction of the original round sandcast oil filter housing.
As you all well know the oil filter housing topic is most important when it comes to sandcast restoration...

Of course I was also very disappointed about the general situation when it came to this topic.
Most of the original filter housing were slaughtered by HONDA during the first inspection due to the recall.
But also many original filter housing were just destroyed by the owners/technicians when changing the filter element and giving to much torque when placing it back again.

So definitely we need to use/work on replicas to have a 100% 'original' restored sandcast becasue the finned housing is truely no option!!!
The replicas available on the market are round but not really a good solution when you own an original one and/or do know how the original should look like.
Also the simple solution to take a finned oil filter housing and to cut off the finns is not really a workable solution - even it is the most easiest one.

Just by accident and becasue of another project I learned about a method how to make perfect sandcast replicas.
So, I just want to let you know that I succeeded to rebuild a nearly 100% perfect replica of the original round shaped sandcast oil
I was lucky enough to own one original oil filter housing and I started to work on a perfect replica based on that original part.
So far what I did:
1)       Using the original oil filter housing I prepard a sandcast mold for reproduction – done!
2)       I performed a sandcast process with the sandcast mold using 223-Al alloy – done
3)       I went to a toolshop to lathe face the replica sandcast oil filter housing to exactly the original oil filter housing dimensions - done.

I started to produce a first series of about 4 replica oil filter housing with very good result!
The replica is nearly 100% exact to the original.
The weight of the replica and the model is comparable.
The aluminium used is very durable and the part can be used  without any issues.

The only difference is that during the sandcast process the replica shrinks about 1-2% in dimension so the replica is slightly smaller compared to the original but this does not interfere with the requested functionality!!

Never the less the oil filter fits perfectly into the housing and also all others measures are perfectly matching!
Again it is 100% functional as it should be!

IMPORTANT
I’m right now considering a new 2nd production of replicas and I just thought it might be a good idea to ask you and the only sandcast forum whether or not other fellow sandcast restorer would be interested in the replica oil filter housing?! In this case I would be ready to increase the number of replicas to produce according to the number of interest?!

I can tell you that the cost of one replica would be around 200-220US$ plus shipping – so I believe for 250US$ I could offer such perfect replicas. The final price will depend on the manufacturing cost of the different steps...

Anybody who is interested please inform me in return untill end of March!

What you see in the attached pictures are different replicas.
IMG_3219: 3 of my replicas which I offered one time in ebay!
IMG_3266: comparisson of Yamiya replica and that what I did.
IMG_3267: comparisson of Yamiya replica and that what I did.

kmb69

• View Profile
Very nice Joe. Where are you located?

If I recall correctly, the Yamiya cover is slightly oversize and generally thicker. Did you ever consider machining a Yamiya cover to use for an "oversize" pattern for your mold to overcome the 1-2% shrinkage issue?

Regards, Keith

Joe

• View Profile
Hi Keith,
thank you for your reply...
I'm located in Germany.

Your idea is good and in principal correct, but...
Unfortunately the design of the Yamiya filter housing is just so different that it would be needed to overall modify the whole housing in a way which makes it very expensive and difficult - even nearly impossible - to use it as a template.

Surprisingly the original HONDA sandcast oil filter housing is somehow so IMPERFECT becasue it was built by this technology and the problems producing a sandcast mold are just the same today as in the past.
To make a perfect replica you strictly must use such an IMPERFECT model. I did never realise this in the past.
When looking first time to the replicas I - for the very first time - did see all that imperfections of the original housing and I was really surprised how 'accurate' these imperfections were transfered from the original to the new sandcast housing - well it is what it is --> a 1:1 copy of an still exsiting 100%original sandcast part!!!

Just for your information - the original oil fiklter housing is from the bike with the VIN# 652

In other words the Yamiya replica is just toooo PERFECT for that purpose of replication.

cheers
Joe

markb

• View Profile
Hi Joe,
I'd be interested in one or two.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kmb69

• View Profile
Joe, I would buy 2 of them also. Maybe more after I see the 1st 2. Regards, Keith

greggo325

• View Profile
I think I had better not miss out on this!  I will take one as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:56:36 pm by greggo325 »

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The resourcefulness of the people in this group never ceases to amaze me.  :o Good job Joe
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Joe

• View Profile
Hi everybody,
thank you for your great interest in this topic and the many mails.

So far I can inform all of you that I decided to start a 2nd production for another 20 filter housings (maximum number for one production). This is mainly becuase of the limitation to do the sandcast molds which have to be done everytime using the original oil filter housing for every replica by replica and the size of an Aluminium melt.
Of course it would be possible to add another production depending on the further interets in these replicas in the future.

As soon as I have the next replicas in the production I will post more pictures and keep you informed.
cheers
Joe

Joe

• View Profile
Dear all,
the work is done - at least partially...
Totally 14 housings are finished and ready for use and I must say the quality is again outstanding.
Another 8 housings will be finished by this weekend.
It will be possible to have another production of about 20 housings in the future - if additional demand is there???

The total cost per unit is 160 Eur (210US$).
On top additional the shipping which is about 6Eur in Germany, 13Euro within Europe and about 52US$ (40Euro) USA/Canada/ROW insured and with tracking number!
Payment using paypal!

So please send me an email infomring of how many housings you want (max 2 units so that everybody can have one!) and include your shipping adress!
My email account is joehellmann@aol.com
I will reply to your mail and inform you the paypal account and real shipping cost, and as soon as the moeny arrives I will send the items.
Multiple items per shipment appreciated! I hate to wast money with shipping. So please organise yourself...

I also added some new pictures of the housings for your reference (the one down to the right is the original one!)
cheers
Joe

kmb69

• View Profile
Joe, Do you still have some of these available? If yes, I will buy 2 for starters. Regards, Keith

Joe

• View Profile
Hi Keith
out of the 22 produced oil filter housings I have only 6remaining.
Please send me an email (joehellmann@aol.com) with your full information (unfortunately your mail adress is hidden!) and I will reply to you.

cheers
Joe

markb

• View Profile
Hi Joe,
I'll take two as well.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold