Honda CB750 Sandcast

1001095/E1001319 for sale - AGAIN

Riccardo

• View Profile
Honestly I don't have suspicions about the goodness of the motorcycle. I want to emphasize this.
But I have simply some perplexities which are not represented by buggered screws but by speedo and tacho that look practically new and many many photos taken at the 8 bolts, why?
But........why a bike so well preserved, perhaps with some parts NOS, has worn footpegs as if he was rided for 100000 miles? This is a non sense......or i am a stupid man.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:38:31 pm by riccardo »
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

markb

• View Profile
There certainly seems to be enough evidence that they could have come from the factory with short and long nuts.  For what it's worth, #97 had both short.  I think there's a thread that discusses the 3 punch marks.  Maybe the drive sprocket, chain and rear cush rubbers.  Or carbs and cables.  I don't remember either.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm looking at pic 42 very closely. Look at the threads and nut for the speedo vs the tach. The speedo threads look clean or new compared to the tach. Also, the tach housing appears more "grainy". Is it just the photo???

Riccardo, I'm wondering if the owner ground the foot peg rubber down so he could wear his favorite riding boots and shift comfortably? Just a thought. if someone was trying to hide something there why not put a good used rubber on?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:21:44 pm by Wayne »
[size=

Riccardo

• View Profile
Wayne, yes the grain is different.
Maibe the out of focus camera.
But in the years i've seen and restored many gauges and the oldcases was with soft grain, for the age or maybe for the sun.
Please look the photo on the tank (with cap closed), emblem zone, and increase the zoom on the left stripe, is possible to see the gold warnish that go on the black, tipical when you pull out the stripe mask.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:00:18 pm by riccardo »
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
All sorts of good questions and debate.....  Likely, we'll never know. 

i can see where short and long nut cables could be factory original.

The screws are buggered......  our theories as to why they are buggered are all legitimate ones.

the seller never knew of this bike until barely a week before he posted auction on ebay, only about 3 days before he posted on craigslist.

When the seller initally emailed me, he had seen the bike for the first time, but did not have the bike in his posession. 

A  day later, he went over to the widow's again, picked up te bike and took pictures at his house. 

Seller did not send me the pictures until a day after he had the bike at his house. 

I can only assume the questions we are asking from what we are seeing were things that happened to the bike while in the possession of the original owner, who, as i understand it, according to what the widow told the seller, the orig.owner covered the motorcycle in 1976 and remained covered until the widow let the seller uncover the bike less than 2 weeks ago.  the orig.owner never put the 76-77-78 license tags on the license plate.

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I guess at this point all we can say for sure is that the bike seems to be a fine sancast. I hope a member acquires this machine and shares findings and more images for the site. I already know I will be referring to a lot of these images when doing final assembly of 576. As for the auction we will know in a little over an hour how the community at large feels about this fine machine. :) over 35k is a pretty good indicator! :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:53:01 pm by Wayne »
[size=

markb

• View Profile
So was it a member here?  It would be great to get more details about this one.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Riccardo

• View Profile
Speed and tacho...short nuts.
In Late Production Type, SOOC site, there is a clear add photo of a beautyfull red.
Lefty horn, thin lip alternator cover, five mm carbs cables adjuster and short nut for the speedo cable.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:12:02 pm by riccardo »
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
On the flip side, arguing this lovely original 'appearing' 1095 should not sell for $30K; it's a 44 year old used bike, with 4800 miles.  Some patina, minor dents, buggered screws, seemingly over-polished eng.covers, etc.  From the standpoint of the potential buyer, who can spend the money for what he wants, for $30-$40K, this bike may not be it, since it is not a truly low vin WITH truly low miles.

I imagine what sold Vic's red 6xxx, for $41K was......... 441 miles

Arguably, 1095 may be worth less than $30K... ?

kmb69

• View Profile
Steve,

Those were pretty much my thoughts exactly. $30K is definitely on the high side for that serial IMO. Especially considering what I paid for 244 on eBay that was a very original bike excepting the exhaust. There are several indicators that make me a little suspicious of how unmolested it really is. Most of the parts do look original but the owner has passed (RIP) and is not available to explain a few things. Hard for me to imagine wearing that left foot peg like that in 4800 miles but I guess one could. It appears the clutch cover screws have been abused more than once. Were we hammering the clutch? The appearance of most of the cover screws makes me suspicious that the cases may have been repaired as opposed to just being removed to polish the covers. The carb insulator clamp screws have been buggered also - carb side and engine side. They are original cases but the Auctioneer did not provide a pic of the front sprocket area. The valve cover screws do not appear to have been removed but one can work on cases without pulling the top end. Not enough pics of the engine mount and case bolts to be conclusive but the 6mm bolt in the engine VIN pad pic 10 appears to me to have a rounded corner in the removal direction. Also, look at the lower engine mount nut in pic 29. Does it have socket marks on it? Not trying to throw cold water on it but rather trying to justify spending $30K plus not that I need another SC. But... need and want are two different things. Still, a very nice specimen.

Keith

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I didn't realize so many screw heads were buggered throughout, i did notice at least some of the valve cover screws appeared not to be, but i did not look that closely for any buggering on all of the screws. 

The buggered heads you describe, Keith, certainly could suggest engine removal decades ago.  Perhaps the owner put the bike away in the mid-70's, resulting from an earlier event requiring screw removal......  The bike apparently was still rideable, because he kept getting license plate tags for a couple years later......  Perhaps his widow would know.  The screw heads do arouse suspicion, in turn, putting a damper on vigorous bidding.

Of the Honda rubber foot pegs i've seen, i seem to recall seeing some rubbers more degraded than others, some fairly decent bikes  having degraded rubbers and some fairly rough bikes having pretty decent rubbers.  Seems some rubbers were more plastic like and some were more rubber like.  Makes me wonder the possibility of a particular batch of rubbers might have had a percentage of difference in the mixture which was run through the mold, or the heat in the molding process was slightly off.....   Pure conjecture..........

i still believe the bike is largely original/correct and as you say, Keith, a nice specimen.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have a view that the cover was removed to free up the clutch maybe The alternator cover is a mystery, Maybe to restore the clear coat maybe, maybe, maybe I;ve not seen too many 40 year old bikes with good clear coat My CBX was kept in a controlled environment but the clear coat has still degraded
As Mr Swan said, pure conjecture but the bike is in superb condition nevertheless
Yabba Dabba KP

kmb69

• View Profile
Listing removed from eBay just a few minutes ago. Hope someone here bought it so we can possibly get our questions answered.