Honda CB750 Sandcast

Gasket Installation with Gasket Sealant?

Joe K · 7 · 4727

Joe K

• View Profile
Question ,  :-[

When installing engine gaskets on the cylinder head, piston head, clutch cover, oil pan, etc. do you:

Also put silicon gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket?
or
Put only the gasket on?

Thank you,
Joe

cb7504

• View Profile
Joe: I have not used any silicon gasket sealants on any of the engines I've rebuilt. I do however coat both sides of all the gaskets (except the head gasket) with a light application of grease so the gasket will stay in place while installing and if you have to remove a cover it helps keep the gasket more pliable for easy removal. ENJOY

Joe K

• View Profile
Thank you for your advise. When you say head gasket, do you mean valve head gasket or cylinder head gasket?

Joe

cb7504

• View Profile
Joe: The one with the four large holes (cylinder head gasket). ENJOY

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
hi jkulick i have never used gasket cement on new gaskets as the new gasket material will absorb any oil and grease, although i have done on old gaskets e.g. if i change clutch plates ,coat both sides of the gasket and never reuse a head gasket or use gasket cement not worth the hassle .BY THE WAY did you find out the cause of the engine problem in your earlier post, (share the knowledge)and is this the reason for your rebuild now? just curious steve

Joe K

• View Profile
Steve and CBX,

Thank you so much for your advice on gasket installation. Especially the tip on adding grease and specifically to the clutch gasket for changes of the clutch friction plates. I will take you guys' advice.

The gasket question came about because yes, of the re-build I am doing.

This message board is really a great way to find things out as we share ideas and tips.

Joe

Joe K

• View Profile
The gasket set I just purchased recommended the use of aerosol copper coat on the head gasket. (4 -5 thin coats) I spoke to a motorcycle mechanic about it today and he said that is a good idea to use the aerosol copper coat.

Joe