Honda CB750 Sandcast

Muffler, what are correct?

sancastnorway

• View Profile
Hi!
I have bought a sandcast with frame no. 2996 and I am not shure what's the right muffler for it. Now there is a set of very good HM300.
When I look at the part book, I see that there is a change from no.1221 on the upper muffler. Other people say that it is "unmarkd" up to about 3500, then the HM300 comes.
Does anybody know whats rightfor this bike?

2. If I need a set of unmarked, I guess this is hard to find. I see that Yamia have some repros. Does anybody know how good this are?

3. The protector on the muffler, shall this be in dull chrome, or Cd/Zn plated?

Thanks, Jan.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Jan,

Evidence gathered to date supports mufflers used on sandcast vins #1-7414 had no stamp marks.

To learn more about the exhaust differences, I'd suggest studying the info offered in our website.

Click on "Production Models," then click on #13 & #14, you will find some of the answers to your questions about exhaust differences.

Also, click on "Technical/Restoration Support," then click on #17, you can see pictures of the early and late exhaust features. You will also note more written differences between the different types of exhaust used on sandcast 750's.

Essentially there are two exhaust types used on the sandcast, neither stamped.

The major differences in these two exhaust occured at vin #'s 4148/4149.

Pre-4149 exhaust have 2.5 mm welded seams and a large baffle with no outside fiber packing. The early mufflers were essentially magaphone, no internal baffling.

Post-4148 mufflers have 5mm welded seams, a smaller baffle with outside fiber packing and internal baffling.

Early/late baffles will not interchange/fit with early/late mufflers.

Your vin, for correct aplication, uses early "Lotus Root" type mufflers.

Yamiya exhaust are a dead ringer for original, fit is perfect, overall finish better than original.

As far as i know, Yamiya supplies the late type exhaust only.

I am aware of no one who supplies an early type copy.

All heat shields, as used on the sandcast and diecast 69-70 750's are a satin finish. Yamiya sells these shields.

sancastnorway

• View Profile
From CMS I see that the baffles change at 4149 as Steve say (Lotus root) , but there was also made a change on the 2 upper muffler and the footpeg bolt on serial number 1222. Does anyone know what that change was on the mufflers (the bolts I know about, but I think that was together with the lotus root change on 4149, but I see that I was wrong about that)

So, the early no no lotus root muffler that Yamia have reproduced, wich one is that?

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k0-four-usa_model14346/partslist/F16.html

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yamiya no longer makes the lotus root exhaust. The current exhaust is the no number, no indents exhaust which sells for around $1,800. This exhaust is correct for the later sandcast and diecast K0's Some diecast machines came with the no indent exhausts but had HM300 stamps.
If you're rebuilding your sandcast and what as correct as possible exhausts then the Yamiya exhaust is the one to buy. If price is an issue then the CMS exhaust looks to be priced well KP
Yabba Dabba KP