Honda CB750 Sandcast

Top Trees

oldhemisc

• View Profile
Hey guys. I have heard that there were some changes to the top trees during (and after) the sandcast run. Is this true?
I have seen PICTURES of K1 and some K2's with the same looking top tree that is on my sandcast. My '70 (frame 1037538)looks the same as my sandcast(frame 1003225).
So, is it correct to use the 70,71 and some 72's top tree?
Were some of these top trees cast differently?
Thanks - Phil in Houston.

cb7504

• View Profile
There are two different upper triple clamps domestic/Japanese and the export type. The domestic type has a hole for a speed light that comes on when the speedo reaches the max speed allowed in Japan (approximately 60 kph). The other one has no hole and is of the export type. My domestic/Japanese parts book shows the hole type and my U. S. parts book shows no hole. The Honda part numbers indicate the upper triple clamps for the export type to be the same for K0, K1, K2 and some early K3's. Marty

jiminycricket

• View Profile
There are two types of upper triple clamps used on the sandcast imported to the USA.

The early sandcast upper clamp tongue (gauges mount against each side of tongue) is at an obviously less acute angle than the tongue on the late clamps.

At the early tongue's narrowest point, the early tongue is 4mm narrower than late tongue.

These early upper triple clamps with the narrower tongue at a less acute angle were used on the first 400-500 machines.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Guys
I'm doing a tech support on the different triple clamps on the Sandcast. In fact the narrower top triple clamp was still being used up to at least VIN 1683. I'll get this item posted ASAP so guys can provide feedback on what's fitted to their VIN.
In the meantime, anyone want pics just email me at mcgovern@aussieisp.net.au
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

vnz00

• View Profile
hi KP, I can confirm this - VIN 1853 has the narrow top triple as well.  I will attach pics shortly...
Regards,
Steven V.

tomcourtney

• View Profile
I'll just add that the K2 top clamp is different to the later sandcast K0 and K1 in as far as the pinch bolt hole diameter is smaller for the smaller bolts, although these can be drilled out to be the same as K0-K1 TC
I sold my first Sandcast and regretted it till I bought it back 6958/7149, its taken a few years to get a couple more 6946/7169, and 6970/E6956