Honda CB750 Sandcast

Western Illinois 5511

Don R · 15 · 4100

Don R

• View Profile
I'm 60 and retired. I've been working on and have owned Hondas since 1973 when I bought my first one. I recently aquired a Sandcast CB750 at the auction of a friends estate. He had run an independent Motorcycle shop and was a big 750 fan. He had bought this 750 from a friend who got it new but he never titled it. It appears he waxed it heavily and sprayed the chrome with WD40. It looked awful but cleans up very easily.
 There is another independent shop 30 miles from here, the owner worked at our local Honda shop in 69 and 70 before joining the service. He knew the first owner of this bike and auctually remembers assembling it since it was the first 750 sold here. The sandcast he still owns is the second one sold here.

The first owner's son will be in town next week so I saved the tall handlebars and red metalflake grips for him in case he wants them. His dad bought this bike and also a Honda mini trail for him at the same time. The son still has the mini trail. Hopefully there will be a photo I can get a copy of.
 I recently did a day two restoration of a hot rodded 750 diecast that had been heavily parts swapped. It's very nice to find this one that's all there and with the exception of handlebars was very original.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
That sounds interresting. Wellcome!
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

markb

• View Profile
Nice find!  I'll be interested to hear more.  Pictures too.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Don R

• View Profile
The second owner didn't title it, he was the shop owner where it was serviced. He bought it when the original owner passed away. I bought the bike at the auction of his estate. I returned the following week and purchased the drag bike he owned because I realized the sandcasts original rear wheel and hub was mounted on it.
I've removed the tall handlebars and returned to the original set, The 16" rear wheel is on the dragbike now and the rolled edge DID rim is back where it belongs. The wiring to the headlight bucket needed new covering so I purchased some from vintage wiring. The wiring extensions were removed and a working headlight installed. We tried to order a Stanley, it came a GE.
 The carbs were cleaned and adjusted by the same mechanic that assembled it new.
 I prelubed the engine with two quarts of pressurized oil through the gallery, kicked it through to rotate the oiled parts, I oiled the top end through the rocker arm ports, installed a sealed gel battery (not original type, don't care) And she fired right up. A little smoke from the oil in the cylinders but it idles like new.
 I can't wait for some new stock mufflers to become available.

Don R

• View Profile
 I took her for a short ride through the neighborhood, the original front tire is lumpy.  I'm researching original appearing new tires. The Hooker 4 into 2 sounds fine for now, It stops and rides nice at 30 mph. I can tell it wants to be turned loose a bit. Tires and a new chain first. Still has the original 16 and 43 tooth sprockets, might be the original chain.
 It's tempting to swap the Lester mags/Dunlops and yoshi 4 into 1 repro off my diecast for a while. I could put the center stand back on with those pipes too.

UK Pete

• View Profile
Hi Don R, looks like you have the basis for a great bike, nice find , and i lookforward to seeing how you get on with it
pete

cb7504

• View Profile
Nice snag on your barn find, look forward to hearing about and watching you bring it back to a sweet running and looking sandcast. Marty K.

Don R

• View Profile
 Thanks, it's almost going to be easy after the K0 through 4 hybrid I did. I have a NOS left sidecover in the original box wrapped in the tissue it came in but it's- of course, Candy blue green.

I have another original front tire, it looked great until I put air in it. W0W. I'm looking at Conti's RB2 or Avons ribbed front.

Don R

• View Profile
  I thought I'd add to my introduction since my situation has changed. I'm on my second binge of sandcast club visits. 5511 is in sweet shape, It has 9500 plus miles on it. I continued to buy and on occasion sell cb750's and currently have a dozen or so and 2 goldwings.  One of the K5 bikes I got from a collection recently had crankcase 2695 in it and I've purchased a couple heads and a cylinder to return it to it's former glory. My vision right now is to assemble it ready to go and leave it on a display stand. Of course hoping to someday unite it with an appropriate frame. Building a correct bike from a crankcase is a large order.

Don R

• View Profile
 5511 has engine 5930, the original owner says it came that way. They removed the engine once to chrome the covers. Other than that it hasn't been apart. The Dad bought it at Christmas 1969, trading in an 850 BSA, I think. He was a small guy and wanted the electric start on the cb750. He bought his son a Honda minibike also. They took delivery of the cb in early January of 70 after it was assembled.