Honda CB750 Sandcast

Candy Blue Green--different shades

deacon · 10 · 7750

deacon

• View Profile
Hi,
I am a new member. I traded in a 1968 CL450 for a used Blue Green CB750 in 1970. The Bike was a 1969. I sold the bike 1 year later after enjoying over 4,000 miles of riding. (missed it so much that I ended up buying a new 1971 750 but it never had the same MOJO)
The color of my 1969 looked different than the pictures I see of the Candy Blue Green Bikes. It had more of a green look to it rather than the Blue color in most of the pictures I see on the web. I found one picture that resembles my bike. I am including the link to that picture.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=26727.0

Is it possible that the early sandcasts had more green in the paint or is my memory just failing me from 38 years ago?

Vic World is building my sandcast as I write this. It will take about 24 weeks to complete. He said there is no rush on the color selection.
If the early bikes really did have the "Jade type color" , I would prefer if he could duplicate my original 1969.

Anyway, I won't be a full fledge member till about Oct. I love this website and I would like to thank you for the effort it took to create and maintain it.
Thanks,
Rich

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Rich,

To the best of my experience, the earlier blue-green color had a definite green hue.

I have heard a later variation of the color had less of a green hue and was more blue in appearance.

My experience, the camera will NOT pick up the green hue of the earlier color.

I have not seen a photo yet where the green hue can be seen, except in John Wyatt's book, "The Original Honda CB750." The camera does not do justice to the Candy Tone Blue-Green.

Candy Tone Blue-Green is, my opinion, the best color i have ever seen.

The picture of my 4363 in the Gallery, does not show a green hue.

However, i can assure you, if you saw my bike in person, there is a definite green hue.

The man who painted my bike, used House of Kolor product and matched the HOK product perfectly to an original n.o.s. B-G headlight ear. Side by side, I could not tell a difference in hue between the newly painted parts and n.o.s. B-G headlight ear, except for the higher sheen of new paint.

deacon

• View Profile
Thanks for the information Steve. I would love to see a candy blue green in person.

steff750

• THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
i have a 1970 candy blue green cb750 that the previous owner rebuilt in 1992 with all brand new panels ,tank, air-box,headlamp shell and fork shrouds, i told him i only liked the bike because of its original parts ,he said he was tempted too respray the bike because the shade was slightly different on some of panels (shocking )this was probably down too the parts being sprayed at different times of manufacture and being new old stock ,they could be up too thirty years old or more, cameras dont show the true picture sometimes and sunlight and lighting dont help also, i have picture of three blue green bikes side by side in a bike show and too the eye they looked the same but on camera one had a new tank it was slightly more blue as you know you have trouble in the states with paint bleaching in the sunshine red is notorious for this, and the blue paint will age with time
if you are ever in wales i will show you a real candy-blue green cb750 and a candy ruby-red one

deacon

• View Profile
Steff750,
Thanks for the information. As you know it is hard to find. This site and it's people have the most depth on the subject of "Sandcast" Bikes in the entire world.
If I make it to Wales I would love to see your bike!!

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Thank you very much for your kind compliment of the website.

While the website is not updated or as active as I had initially hoped for, it is, at very least, helpful in unraveling and revealing the seemingly well kept "mysteries" of these sandcast bikes. Guess alot of us work for a living or are too busy playing.........

The website has required quite a few hours just to set it up, then gather and organize the information to load on the website. I pay the annual web server fees to keep the website online.

And, when I came up with the idea for the website, we likely would not have the website without the encouragement from KP McGovern and a generous financial contribution from Mark Zlotkowski.

Without Chris Rushton, in particular, a very knowledgeable devotee of the CB750, we would not have as much detailed information about the sandcast on board.

Both Chris and KP have been and remain devout in giving their time to make the website what it is.

And, many thanks to Nathan Williams a non-motorcyclist, who built the website. Without Nathan's help, the website would not exist.

Members are encouraged to volunteer to manage areas of the site that as yet remain undeveloped.

STILL WAITING to hear from the AMA *IF* SOOC will be the host club for the 40th anniversary of the CB750 for the 2009 Vintage Motorcycle days at Mid-Ohio. As soon as i hear from them, WILL post their decision and hopefully the details.

Thank you again for your kind remark.

Sincerely,

Steve Swan

markb

• View Profile
I agree that the blue/green has plenty of green in it but it's hard to get it to show accurately in photos.  I've got an early K0 that I've had since 1975 that I recently had repainted by the guy who does Vic World's sandcasts.  My original airbox was toast so I got a repro.  When I got it back and compared the color to the original airbox it was to close for me to call.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

bjatwood

• 1973 CB750 K3, 1970 CT70 HKO, 1998 GoldWing SE
    • View Profile
I have "found" that taking a pic of a Blue-Green bike in the sunshine with NO flash, picks up the Greenish tint of the paint. This is a Blue-Green CT70 4 speed only color that I restored 4 years ago
Brian "bj" Atwood

kettle738

• View Profile

Candy Blue Green is incredibly difficult to photograph accurately; the link in the first posting shows the cover of the Haynes 'Great Bikes' CB750 book by Mick Duckworth and the colour of the bike is just miles out.

As it happens I own that bike, registration UUT849H, chassis number 1010369, Manf'd October 1969 and the first chassis number of the first batch sent to the UK, arriving January 1970.

The bike was restored many years ago (not by me) using a complete NOS Honda paint set and there is a lot of variation between individual parts, but they all look blue / green, nothing like the strong blue shown in the book.  The last post hit the nail on the head, take the photo in strong sunlight or at close range with a flash and you have a chance of showing the right colour, anything else and it's incredible how the camera tells lies, but as a colour, there's nothing better in my opinion, it's just beautiful.

As it happens I recently cracked the right side panel, I've been kicking myself ever since, and now I'm in a quandry, wait for a NOS or perfect used one to turn up (no chance) buy a Yamiya repop or get my original repaired and painted.......anyone got a really nice right side panel for sale?

Mick..........kettle738

UK Pete

• View Profile
Good luck with sourcing a nos panel mick, they do crop up from time to time in the US, i forgot to mention to you yesterday that dave silver is going to stock entire new repro bodywork for the K0 , he has a full set on the way from japan so he can access the quality before he stocks them, check out his facebook
BTW many thanks for the hub your a top bloke
And before you ask no i did not catch any fish, all i got was a sun burned face lol
pete