Honda CB750 Sandcast

chrome?

Don R · 6 · 1710

Don R

• View Profile
 How much does chrome affect the value of a sandcast? The PO really loved this bike and sent in various pegs, motor mounts and engine parts for chrome. Mostly it's in good shape except the valve cover, it's a bit pitted.

Don R

• View Profile
 OK lets try it this way. Leave it alone or strip it back to aluminum? 
 The rocker cover is pitted, no choice there but what about the rest? Dyno cover side 3 pieces? The outer diameter clutch cover is chromed. It's perfect and I'm not letting the 9 hole cover out of my sight. The foot pegs are chromed too, not too big a deal there.

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My view would be to strip it including the alloy cam cover as they are unique to the early bikes. Just my take KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Marcello Tha

• View Profile
Strip all parts back to aluminum, they are rare and expensive.
I don't know what method is used, if chemical or physical.

Marcello

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
take your parts to any competent chrome plater, they dip it in their electrolytic bath and the chrome plate will come off just like it went on.

Don R

• View Profile
 I auctually took a full set of engine covers to my local plater to be stripped. Not my sandcast ones, just for a test to see how they came out.
 It was worth a hundred dollars for the peace of mind. Everything came out fine. The parts appear to be soda blasted but should return to a normal finish easily. If I still own it next winter I'll take the sandcast's parts in.