Honda CB750 Sandcast

5511 got it's rolled rim and handlebars back. won a bike show. Updates

Don R · 21 · 7931

Don R

• View Profile
This is my sandcast 5511 as it was brought home. I've since re-installed the original handlebars and removed the wiring extensions and lowering blocks. The original rear rim was found on the Drag bike owned by the shop where it was always worked on. I pressure lubed the engine twice and started it up. It runs awesome but the original front tire sat with a flat too long. It's got a big lump.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:34:28 am by Don R »

Don R

• View Profile
 The paint was coated in heavy wax and the chrome looked awful. Then I realized the chrome had been sprayed with WD40, under the dirt it is near perfect. The chain was pressed on, not sure if it's a recall chain or the original. 8,900 miles.

gary

• View Profile
Way to go ,nice bike, real nice shape, it has a lot of nice original pieces. Good luck with it

bjatwood

• 1973 CB750 K3, 1970 CT70 HKO, 1998 GoldWing SE
    • View Profile
Nice Score!!  :) my search continues.... :-\
Brian "bj" Atwood

Don R

• View Profile
 Still no stock exhaust but it did win best foreign made at a bike show.

Don R

• View Profile

She got a repro no number exhaust with honda trim.

I also added the stock short plastic chain guard from my diecast bike, later I found another one for it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:40:39 am by Don R »

Don R

• View Profile
 Since that picture I removed the chrome on the 3 left side engine covers and got a new red seat foam from Yamiya. Small steps, just trying to maintain it not restore anything that doesn't need it. 
  The original owner's son Gary was back in town and I invited him to stop by to check it out, he rode it to high school and said he's the one that chromed the parts. He later lost interest in it, moved and his Mom sold it to the guy that always did the work on it. That guy didn't title it or even start it. I gave Gary the tall handlebars and red metalflake grips as a keepsake. He said his Dad always oiled the chrome and heavily waxed the paint, you can see the wax behind the chrome trim on the gas tank. There is blue wax on the back the front signals too. I'm leaving it there, although the gas tank wax is bugging me.

I also painted the inside of the exhaust with Eastwoods silver hi temp inside exhaust paint. It sprays through a long plastic tube with the nozzle on the end. Hopefully that will extend the life of the mufflers.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile

Don R

• View Profile
I'm replacing just the seat foam, the old one is crumbling and falling through the holes in the pan. The right fork gaiter cracked so I'll either put on the used one that matches the left or the new set I got from Yamiya.  On big bumps there's a click or rattle coming from the forks so it's time for a tear down and inspection.

My brother wants the hooker 4-2's that came off of it. I think they're the best sounding pipes I've ever heard on a 4 cyl bike. We'll see, I have a couple sets of 4-1's around.

Sgt.Pinback

• View Profile
Ok.
Seems to be the flat version of the seat. Is there a red foarm available?

That pipes look great. Which I had those. Beside the sound gives her a unique look.
Cheers, Uli (Leonberg, Germany)

Don R

• View Profile
 Yamiya had the seat foam, it's around $200 but has dropped a lot recently. I ordered parts for a 400F and added the seat foam since the dealer covered the shipping if I spent a certain amount.
 The PO'S son showed me an old pic of the bike on his instagram account and his Dad with an earlier Honda.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:33:16 pm by Don R »

Don R

• View Profile
 Today I bolted the diecast together, and finally parked them side by side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4mwBNmczvWYuAQYS6 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:48:25 pm by Don R »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Don R

• View Profile
  The diecast has a K4 836, ported and Kenny Harmon F cammed engine with a late Yoshi clone 4/1 pipe, It might outrun ole red until I get the diecast engine rebuilt and put it in.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:55:35 pm by Don R »