Honda CB750 Sandcast

Registry Page

Wayne · 33 · 12166

markb

• View Profile
How about VIN and engine numbers, color, owner (optional), location (country), present state (restored runner, partially restored, original, basket case, etc.).  Just some ideas.  If the listing was just an engine or frame it could be a way for members to find one to pair up to make a complete bike.  If nothing else it would be fun to know that they existed much like the directory now shows.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great ideas! Here's what I have so far. I could also add a link to finished units that are uploaded to our photo gallery.

Anyone else?
[size=

cb7504

• View Profile
I like the second data set up. (casting date)?

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I like the second data set up. (casting date)?

Yep! Thanks I overlooked that one.
[size=

markb

• View Profile
Looks good Wayne!
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great Wayne Yus doing a mighty job  ;D
Yabba Dabba KP

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Natural order of things, it seems to me is VIN, low to high. I'm not sure I like the engine VIN beneath the frame VIN, as it appears to makes it less easy to see the increasing order VINS, ie, confuses the natural order (yes, I realise that is why the "F" and "E" are there). E VINS alongside frame VINS seems more logical to me, but does mean another column, which maybe compromises page width?
To group info against owner name would make the list rather random, and of course there are more VINS without owners than with. Also, as has been commented, owner information tends to become incorrect as bikes change hands.

Current VIN directory does include "loose" engines / frames, valid data after all. Frames only are easy, as they fit in the natural increasing number system, but engines without frames? - who knows where they fit!
The existing VIN directory was laid out with line breaks at various places (between 2 digit and 3 digit, at each 4 digit break point after 1999, 2999, 3999, etc) to make it easier to see, given how long the list has become. This also affords an opportunity to group those loose engines say at the start of a VIN range block (1xxx engines at start or end of 1xxx frame block for example; not foolproof but sort of fits?).

Just thinking out load at this "get it right" stage, you understand.

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Anyone else have any input before I take another run at it?
[size=

Erling

• View Profile
My vins are wrong! should be 1676 5/19 1638 frame first August 20'69 if some time that date is to be set up too. And something I shouldn't bother about, but my friend Henrik Stubkjær set me up as member here in o7 but are now moved to member 107 of o8! He's year is probably 06. As is Harald Falkentoft who set me up to Henrik in those days. Haralds 1648/1660 vins do look wrong too. As Scandinavian redactor he claims his vins to be 2155/2276 later changed to 5583/5557. And Henrik have a vin 1661/1660 in the directory! But as my vins can be wrong others can too I think, though at the time I thought Henrik had got mine wrong from being here visiting me.
Youers Erling.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
hang in there erling !  things'll get straightened out.  you're not the only one with vin inaccuracies.  it's probably my fault.  i need to send Wayne the email i've received since around june 2012.  right now Wayne has ALOT more on his plate than dealing with vin inaccuracies which i KNOW he will get taken care of, all in good time !

cb7504

• View Profile
I agree with Steve, get the lay out we would like to see/use and fill in the smaller details as the site progresses. Wayne keep up the good work it is greatly appreciated.

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We are of course reliant on VIN information being accurately observed, reported, and entered, all of which do not always happen. After that it can still readily be corrected, although the editor does not seem to work on some combinations  of operating system / web browser.
Once the layout is  sorted, we can then work on the data again.

Chris
Chris R.
302/338

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile

in the true sense of the word we are not a club.  SOOC has no benefits of 'membership' an actual club provides.  no membership cards, no shows, no rides, dues, clothing, coffee cups, pins, etc.  we do have the forum, but i believe anyone can read the forum with out 'joining".  on the other hand, the AMA recognized us as a club and gave us the privilege of hosting the Classic Club at the 2009 VMD.

I tend to agree with Steve on this one. I have made a combined page of "Members" and the VIN directory. I guess we could say anyone who lists contact their name etc is a "Member". Let me know what you think of the page setup. There's a helluva pile of VIN's to do manually! :/
http://cb750sandcastonly.com/new_template/registry_new_template.htm
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Hi Wayne, Great ideas combining Registry and VinD !  simple is always better.  i like your idea of a listing a name as recognizing 'membership'.