Honda CB750 Sandcast

Webbed Fabric Smooth Ferule Oil Line Color

DW69K0 · 11 · 3967

DW69K0

• View Profile
Hi All -
I may not be posting this in the correct place, but this is an engine cosmetic question. I own a mid-vin sandy with smooth ferules and webbed fabric oil line.
My oil lines are faded silver and I was wondering if anyone has found a good method to dye or paint the webbed fabric oil lines back to their original black color?
See attached photo.
I appreciate any advice or help.
DW69KO

Joe K

• View Profile
I removed and washed the webbed fabric with hot water and soap then let them dry.  I then took a black felt marker to them until they were black.

Joe K.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i use the aerosol stuff available in hardware stores use to put a black rubber coating on anything you want to put a black rubber coating on.  works great and looks right.  put as light or as heavy, single or multiple coats as you need or want.

i think it's plastidip, commonly found in hardware stores, it IS a rubber coating.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

DW69K0

• View Profile
Steve,
Does the spray Plastidip hold up to the heat and not peel or flake off?
Is washing the line in Dawn dishwashing soap and hot water the best way to clean the webbing?
I would think some type of solvent could damage them.
Thanks,
DW69KO

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i use parts solvent.  doesn't seem to harm anything.  running the rubber coating on the webbed lines of 2157, have nearly 900 miles on them, they look fine.  still black and still intact.

DW69K0

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies Joe & Steve!

With 900 miles tested, this sounds like a great solution. Have you found any other restoration uses for the Plastidip?

By the way, my vin number is in the low 3000 range so by what I've read are the smooth Ferules with webbed fabric oil lines changed to a crimped style in the 4000 vin range, is that correct?

Thanks much,
DW

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com

By the way, my vin number is in the low 3000 range so by what I've read are the smooth Ferules with webbed fabric oil lines changed to a crimped style in the 4000 vin range, is that correct?

Thanks much,
DW

i can't remember........  should be in the "distinctions" thread.

DW69K0

• View Profile
 Here is what I found on the 88 distinctions:
         58. webbed fabric oil line, smooth ferrule, 303-2435
The smooth ferrule webbed fabric oil lines are from my sandcast in low 3000 vin range.

Interesting,
DW

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
Here is what I found on the 88 distinctions:
         58. webbed fabric oil line, smooth ferrule, 303-2435
The smooth ferrule webbed fabric oil lines are from my sandcast in low 3000 vin range.

Interesting,
DW

what is your 3xxx vin ?  now we know the smooth ferrules were seen on vins >2435.

fire ball bike

• View Profile
steve my bike 2950 with motor number 2232 has smooth ferule oil lines  thanks randy