Honda CB750 Sandcast

Right handle switch

bojje · 8 · 2738

bojje

• View Profile
Hi there!
I have a bike with VIN of 609. When it was delivered to me from USA last summer the first thing I noticed on the bike was the right handle. It has a no on/off handle but a pointer at the killknob. Were some bikes delivered in that shape or has only someone changed the killknob?
I would appreciate an answer from someone who knows about this.
I´m also owner of an restored engine with an enginenumber of 805, if someone is intersted in selling a frame or a bike with "wrong" engine, I´m interested in buying something that matches my engine, Bo. bojje@snapphanetruck.se

jiminycricket

• View Profile
zzster axed a question just like yours bojje and it got anserd 2 x's in -lotus root post-

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bojje, My friend you really do need to go to the website as the differences in switches and specifically the kill knob is there for all to read. Yes there is a difference.  :-X KP 
Yabba Dabba KP

bojje

• View Profile
Dear KP. I have read all the information. Maybe I´m not so familiar with the english language or I may have made my question so You haven´t understood what I meant. This is what I have understood: up to VIN 441 the right handle was without on/off text and also had a killknob without pointer. From about VIN 442 there was text and pointer. My right handle has no text and a pointer. Was that delivered from work or has someone changed the killknob? I hope You now understand my question, Bo.

Bickle

Hi there....it would appear that you were right in your original assessment....IMHO
Seems someone has changed the pointer knob on your control.
If you cant find an original pointer....maybe some handywork with a dremel to take off the pointer might be your best bet.

Cheers
Steve

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bojje, Given your VIN is a low number, it may be that the switch is correct and Honda were in the process of changeover to the newer design. The supplier may have changed the kill switch to the later type using early switch castings. This is only a thought.
Unless you are 100% sure it's not original, I wouldn't change a thing.
Is there any chance you can post a picture or email me a picture.  ???  KP
Yabba Dabba KP

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I think KP could very well be correct about the RH switch being 'transitional' because these sort of minor changes were typical for Japanese new model motorcycles during early production phases in an effort to get as many units off the line and into the retail market.

When the manufacturer of the switches ran out of pointerless kill knobs and still had unmarked bodies, they simply started putting knobs with pointers on unmarked bodies until they ran out of unmarked bodies.

And, if i recall correctly, kill knob removal requires dismantling the switch to replace the knob which takes time, effort and manual dexterity. Anything's possible in an owner's attempt to keep a bike on the road, so the knob could have been replaced. Seems unlikely a kill knob would break, though unless switch was left out in the weather. Does your kill knob look nice and shiny compared to the rest of the switch or does all have a matching patina ? I would tend to go with KP, unless you can find evidence the knob with pointer is not correct for unmarked body or someone changed it out, keep as is.

Cannot remember if the kill knob has a part number of it's own. i do remember the turn and hi/lo knobs have part numbers.

Would be good to get Andy Morris or Chris Rushton's opinion(s) on this.

Also, assuming your switch is original, this could be worthwhile documenting in "Production Models." i.e., "vin 609 noted to have kill knob with pointer and unmarked switch body."

Good catch "bojje" !

It would be really nice if all who post on BB use their name, so we can get to know each other more.

bojje

• View Profile
Steve and KP, thanks for the information. I´ll make some pictures of the handle and get them sent to You. I asked Andy Morris a couple of weeks ago about who is able to restore handles to look like new again. He told me to send KP a mail and ask for it. I´ve tried to send You some mails but they are returned as "failed delivery". Please send me a mail on my adress bojje@snapphanetruck.se so I will be able to send You photos and correspond about handlerestoring. As information, my name is Bo-Goran Fredin, 56 years old and I live in Sweden.