Honda CB750 Sandcast

fork damper valve

UK Pete

• View Profile
Can somebody tell me which way the fork damper valve goes, does the taper face upwards or down, also same for the fork piston does the recessed end go at bottom or top?

pete
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:32:43 pm by UK Pete »

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

A good question - I don't recall seeing a clear diagram to categorically answer this. One of the parts list diagrams appears to show the piston recess at the top, but gives no clues for the damper valve.
From memory, my recollection is that the recessed edge of the piston is indeed at the top, and taper of damper valve at the bottom (in fact, I have a feeling that with the various circlips and snap ring in their correct places that it may only go together if as above).
I'm sure others will share their views, and hopefully confirm.

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

4pots1969

• View Profile
It is the chamfer upward for the Photo 1
Low of the ring towards the chamfer (TOP) of the piston for the photo 2  (Error from me rectified on the photo 2)

Taken information about two old assembled tubes

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:51:07 am by 4pots1969 »

markb

• View Profile
I know I have notes somewhere about this but I think Gerard is correct.  As I recall it seems like one of the rings #3 & 4 in the original post had something different on one side.  Maybe it was just that one was thicker.   :-\  I know they are different and maybe they will only go one place but I would check closely.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

UK Pete

• View Profile
Ok it occurred to me today that i have a spare set of sandcast/k0 forks so i took them apart to see how they go together, here are the photo's
so it is recess on piston upwards, chamfer on valve downwards, hope this helps others
pete

Rddmm2

• View Profile
I'm replacing fork seals which are weeping a bit. KO Vin 10068**
I read a warning by Hondaman in his book not to remove bottom fork allen bolts because of reassembly issues.  I'd like to clean up lower internals, but not sure if that's possible with KO forks?   Thanks. 

bojje

• View Profile
Hi!
From VIN it looks you have a pretty early K1. To dissasemble these just dismount circlip, drain oil, and push lower forkleg to dissasemble. Might be hard to push off, use gloves. The bottomscrew at lower forkleg needs dismount at first at late -73 years model, with newer frontfendermount.
Good Luck, Bo from Sweden.

Rddmm2

• View Profile
Thanks.  I removed cir clip, and pulled upper section from the fork bottom.  Then I removed allen bolt on bottom of fork so I could remove lower pipe for cleaning.  Reassembled with fresh oil.