Honda CB750 Sandcast

"non-acid" rust removal products

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
i've got a pair of tanks i need to remove mild surface rust from.  i don't want to use any weak acid solution.  (i typically used a 3% phosphoric acid solution.)

i know there are different "non-acid" rust removal products on the market; one example is "Evaporust."  And, i understand there are others

What products have given you good results you would recommend ?  I'll appreciate hearing your experience.

luisgallur

• View Profile
Immerse the tank in a 1 in 10 dilute solution of molasses diluted with water . It is non toxic , cheap as chips ( 15 kg of the stuff is $12 at  produce store ) . It will not harm paint . Use gloves or you will stain your hands . Soak for about a week for light rust. Rinse out with water , the waste can go down any drain . Note the bare metal after will be pristine And will flash rust so you will have to put a liner in very soon . Watch all the stuff on. YouTube about molasses . I have done crusty leaf springs suspension bits , pitted chrome , swing arms etc etc . Cheap non toxic and it works .

Luis
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:31:21 am by luisgallur »

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
To ensure that the rust spots don't recur as will happen even with molasses, fill the tank with a strong solution of sodium bicarbonate to bring the ph back to an acceptable level. Lye soap also works .... then spray with WD40, RP7 or similar product. Repeat this spraying for a few days and that tank will look as good as new 12 months later.
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
I've used a product called Safest Rust Remover with pretty good success.  Here's a link:
http://safestrustremover.com/
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Tango911

• View Profile
I use metal rescue for tanks (enviro friendly)  and I use Wood Bleach for Chrome and other metals,  very mild acid.