Honda CB750 Sandcast

-040 Wire Harness - Conversion from -050 and other options.

markb · 12 · 3641

markb

• View Profile
There is an idea that Wayne and I talked about.  That is taking a -050 harness and removing the extra black and brown on the headlight bucket end and replacing the -050 tag with a replica -040 tag.  Wayne had pretty good luck reproducing that tag.  It would take a well trained eye to tell the difference.  Unfortunately I don't think the -050 harnesses are availbable any more.  KP, what are your thoughts.
Mark
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mark and members,
Must be I was a little fortunate in that I bought a few Honda harnesses a few years back. You can still get these off eBay from time to time but any good 050 harness can be used as the labels made by Wayne are super for this project. I've compared the plug ends from both harnesses and for all intents they are identical and the white plugs are also the same. Most of the brass end fittings and the white plugs are still available from automotive electrical parts supply.
I have read somewhere that the black wrap used in these looms are non adhesive tape (I could be wrong though). I can attest that all the 040 harnesses I have are wrapped in a black tape that does have an adhesive backing. This material is called "harness tape" here in Australia and comes in a roll of around 30 metres and is 19mm wide. My harnesses are around 18 to 19mm wide A little hard to measure as time and heat do tend to make accurate measurement a little difficult. It is thinner and much softer and more pliable than the more common insulation tape. It comes with a much less sticky adhesive than insulation tape as well but I do stress that the harnesses I have, all have this adhesive type material from the factory.
One thing I can say is that an Ultrasonic Cleaner does a superb job on cleaning these end pieces
Mark, I don't ever hope to reproduce the quality of the photo detail you achieve with your rests but I'll have a crack at doing a step by step on reproducing an 040 from an 050  :o

Yabba Dabba KP

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll add what I can here. First for those of you waiting for tags from me, I have been very busy. I hope to get them printed off and sent out this week. (May 12, 2014)

KP is correct on the loom tape. Mark I included a couple of rolls in your stuff. I think they are in the tall cardboard box. I obtained it and other wiring related items at:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

Part number for the non adhesive wrap is: TNA19 - it's 19MM wide and 20M long. The width and thickness are ban on to the 040 harness that was on 576.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:02:34 pm by Wayne »
[size=

kmb69

• View Profile

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Keith
Just send your request to sandcast750@gmail.com so I can put it in the folder with the rest. I'll print as many as my vinyl supply allows. When it's gone, they're done. If anyone wants to do some on their own I will gladly send you the file. It's done in word. If you don't modify it your tags will be spot on!
[size=

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK Fellas, Here is the way I did an 040 loom from an 050 loom. I will do this in 2 parts given the limit on uploads
Step 1: Photo 040-1. Identify the brown and black wires located at the front (headlight) end of the 050 loom. The correct black wire has the single female end (make sure you don't select the double female end)
Step 2: Photo 040-2. Start to unravel the black tape from the loom Keep going until you expose several areas where the brown and black wires are joined.
Step 3: Photos 040-3 & 040-4. Separate out these joined wires from the rest of the wire bundle You will have  2 lots. A multiple brown and a multiple black
Step 4: Photo 040-5. Continue to unravel the black tape until you simply reach the end which is where the tape meets the black tube.
Step 5: Photo 040-6. I tied off the points at which wires left the main loom. This helps to make sure when rewrapping the loom you have these exit points as close to original as possible.
Step 6: Photo 040-7. Now identify the brown and black wires which have to be removed. Make doubly sure you have the correct brown and black wires. Unwrap the plastic tape from around the mid loom joins to expose the crimped joiners. There is a brown wire going to the ignition switch plug which will remain in place
Step 7: Photo 040-8 & 9. Cut the two female plugs off the brown and black wires (double check that they are correct) simply pull these wires through the black tube. Now snip the brown and black wires from the loom as close to the crimped joiner as possible. These wires can now be discarded.
Yabba Dabba KP

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Step 8: Photo 040-10, 040-11, 040-12, 040-13. You don't really need to do this but I added this for Mark as he and I are both "anal". I slipped the brown wire from the ignition switch plug and slid a piece of shrink tube down to cover the crimp joint before I completed the job. Just a bit if insurance but you can use insulation tape to do the same job
Step 9: Photo 040-14. Before I commenced the rewrapping of the loom I used a piece of shrink tubing to reinforce the end of the plastic pipe. This is a very weak link in these looms in that the tube is way too big for the wire bundle and easily separates from the harness tape. I think this should give a little extra reinforcing and will help minimise the tape separating from the tube. (that's the theory)
Step 10: Photo 040-15. Complete rewrapping the loom and make sure you include the original or reprinted wiring label into the wrap. Make sure you remember how this was originally placed as the original has a fold at one end. If you've read this far you should now be on the final stretch to completing this simple enough project.

Final photo is the completed harness ready to be installed into your project. The 050 harness I used was a relatively new unit so it didn't need to have a total rewrap. If you are using a used harness it would be a good idea to rewrap the whole harness. You may also need to replace the black plastic tubing at the same time. It's a relatively easy job but the subject for another day.  8)
KP
Yabba Dabba KP

markb

• View Profile
Wayne - Thanks for the info on the materials.

KP - Wow, what an excellent tutorial.  I've pretty much thought this whole process through but your description covers everything in perfect detail.  Thanks for taking the time to do that.
Mark B
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

UK Pete

• View Profile
Do the current 050 harnesses come with the block connectors with or without the safety catch to stop them being pulled apart
pete

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not that I'm aware of. The existing plugs that plug into the loom (rectifier ignition etc) don't have these lock clips so it would be pointless fitting them to new 050 harnesses I'm not sure you can buy a new harness any longer other than on eBay etc. Those you see for sale are repops as I understand
Yabba Dabba KP