Honda CB750 Sandcast Forum
December 18, 2017, 11:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Signup has been disabled due to a high volume of spam activity. To sign up for an account please email sandcast750@gmail.com - Members, please ensure the email address in your profile is current. As well domain and hosting fees are due. Any donations can be proceeded by clicking on the Donate button

Home   Help SOOC Home Search Calendar Login Register Chat  

You can show your appreciation for the SOOC and support future development by donating via PayPal!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration of 5369  (Read 21642 times)
4pots1969

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 03:59:34 PM »

What's weird is that he has to use a different font for the 5 ?? Huh Huh
UK Pete

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »

Good observation

UK Pete

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 03:21:01 AM »

Does any one understand the date code, or what the numbers mean, HuhHuh??
pete

Honda CB750 Sandcast Forum
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 03:21:01 AM »

Steve Swan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »

i'd say KP can give you the best interpretation.  Or, Chris.  i would say may 15.....

Steve Swan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »

On my tank these numbers say: 4 6 2!
What to make out of that?
Oil tank say 5 2 7.
Erling.

oil tank - may 27 ?

gas tank, 4 6 2.......  Wonder what thoughts KP or Chris may have ?  on casual observation, to try to come up with a date, the numbers don't add up.

DW69K0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 08:04:21 PM »

The early production Sandcasts were fitted with a right switch which had a black kill switch without a pointer and no "off-on-off" wording embossed into the switch. Like Kawasaki; Honda switches have a date stamp on the throttle tube side of the switch end. In this case the number 4 represents 69 and the latter number represents the month so in the 2 examples we have 69 April and 69 October I'm not sure that these dates represent the production date of the motorcycle rather the date of switch manufacture.

Above quote was posted by KP in October 2015, but I found several references where the number 4 is used in an abbreviated form of 44 from the Year of the Emperor's reign. My opinion is the stamp on the tank of 4-6-2 = June 2, 1969. Others can weigh in.
Best,
Duane
UK Pete

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »

the question was really for my tank whichis in the earlier post, it shows date code      5.   1    5
that dont make sense to me
pete

kp
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 02:23:13 AM »

Above quote was posted by KP in October 2015, but I found several references where the number 4 is used in an abbreviated form of 44 from the Year of the Emperor's reign. My opinion is the stamp on the tank of 4-6-2 = June 2, 1969. Others can weigh in.
Best,
Duane
I can live with that about the oil tank dates. Makes good sense. I think the Petrol (jumping jack flash) tank is 15 May. The tank is correct for mid/early and late Sandcasts so no biggie either way. I suspect it is the original tank nevertheless. My first exposure to numbering was with Kawasaki numbering and I just adopted this with the Honda numbering some years later. Certainly the 4 represents the year 1969. What seems to occur is that some parts have a year and month reference whereas other markings seem to have a month and day reference. Kawasaki have a mixture as well. For example they seem to have year and month as their dating but they also use the Showa system on some parts.
Really a bit of a dogs breakfast IMHO. If there is one thing that is consistent and that is numbering systems seem to be the same for part items ie: tanks, switches, engine parts etc. They use a similar format for each manufactured part
I would be interested in other thoughts. Chris may have thoughts.

Yabba Dabba KP
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: