Honda CB750 Sandcast

Restoration of 5369

UK Pete · 54 · 48767

4pots1969

• View Profile
What's weird is that he has to use a different font for the 5 ?? ??? ???

UK Pete

• View Profile

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
On my tank these numbers say: 4 6 2!
What to make out of that?
Oil tank say 5 2 7.
Erling.

oil tank - may 27 ?

gas tank, 4 6 2.......  Wonder what thoughts KP or Chris may have ?  on casual observation, to try to come up with a date, the numbers don't add up.

DW69K0

• View Profile
The early production Sandcasts were fitted with a right switch which had a black kill switch without a pointer and no "off-on-off" wording embossed into the switch. Like Kawasaki; Honda switches have a date stamp on the throttle tube side of the switch end. In this case the number 4 represents 69 and the latter number represents the month so in the 2 examples we have 69 April and 69 October I'm not sure that these dates represent the production date of the motorcycle rather the date of switch manufacture.

Above quote was posted by KP in October 2015, but I found several references where the number 4 is used in an abbreviated form of 44 from the Year of the Emperor's reign. My opinion is the stamp on the tank of 4-6-2 = June 2, 1969. Others can weigh in.
Best,
Duane

UK Pete

• View Profile
the question was really for my tank whichis in the earlier post, it shows date code      5.   1    5
that dont make sense to me
pete

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Above quote was posted by KP in October 2015, but I found several references where the number 4 is used in an abbreviated form of 44 from the Year of the Emperor's reign. My opinion is the stamp on the tank of 4-6-2 = June 2, 1969. Others can weigh in.
Best,
Duane
I can live with that about the oil tank dates. Makes good sense. I think the Petrol (jumping jack flash) tank is 15 May. The tank is correct for mid/early and late Sandcasts so no biggie either way. I suspect it is the original tank nevertheless. My first exposure to numbering was with Kawasaki numbering and I just adopted this with the Honda numbering some years later. Certainly the 4 represents the year 1969. What seems to occur is that some parts have a year and month reference whereas other markings seem to have a month and day reference. Kawasaki have a mixture as well. For example they seem to have year and month as their dating but they also use the Showa system on some parts.
Really a bit of a dogs breakfast IMHO. If there is one thing that is consistent and that is numbering systems seem to be the same for part items ie: tanks, switches, engine parts etc. They use a similar format for each manufactured part
I would be interested in other thoughts. Chris may have thoughts.
Yabba Dabba KP

cb92wch

• View Profile
UK Pete your fuel tank cap looks like someone has taken it apart before. The small round piece on the bottom should be inside the bigger piece. Look at a parts book and you will see what I am talking about.
Regards,cb92wch