Honda CB750 Sandcast

Restoration of 5369

UK Pete · 54 · 48774

UK Pete

• View Profile
Here goes for another restoration thread, i have another thread going for diecast 9574, which i will carry on with but at an even slower pace than it has been going at, for now the Sandcast takes priority and it will also take some of the diecast parts i had stashed

Here is the bike as i bought it, the head and barrels are off a later bike, there are no brackets or fixings whatsoever, just an incomplete bottom end of engine, frame, swingarm, wrinkle tank, oil tank, wheels, and a couple of beat up guards

As you my well see there is a hell of a lot missing but hey beggars cant be choosers,
The parts i most need are carbs, head and barrels, 9 hole clutch cover, double cut front guard, complete front brake set up

First of all i was itching to get the engine apart, fully expecting to find all sorts of nasty surprises, firstly i removed the studs, never an easy job especially on a 45 year beat up old engine

Then the moment of truth, open up the cases

Well all i can say is thank you god, the inside is in perfect unworn condition, the only mess in there was a small mouse nest, all the bearings were oiled and smooth running, the crank and its shells look as good as a bike thats only done 100 miles 0% wear, all gear cogs intact, and best of all no nasty chain break damage to the casings,
I have to say i have never been so excited about a bike restoration like i am about this one, guys its official i have SANCAST FEVER , and i have got it real bad,
bye for now
pete

UK Pete

• View Profile
Steve lucky enough i scored a set of forks about a year back, i only bought them as they were cheap and i thought of them as spares for the k0
as for engine brackets, battery box and all that sort of harware yes i will be on the lookout, i think i have later model brackets but then i am not sure of any differences, , my next question will be is the battery box from k0 or k1 the same , according to the parts manual it is,i will be asking so many questions as time goes on as i want to keep this bike as correct as i can afford to, lucky for me late sandcasts are a bit easier to do
pete

benjixt

• View Profile
Hi PETE,

sandcast fever for sure!!!!

the second step is the low vin sandcast FEVER

the last step is the 2 digits vin sandcast fever....

welcome............................

cool bike

congratulation

Benjamin

4pots1969

• View Profile
Hi Pete,
Satisfied for you that the engine is "clean"..
The East what about the frame? Is he healthy?

UK Pete

• View Profile
I have yet to inspect the frame closely , but at first glance it appears virtually rust free ,the only bummer is the side stand mount is ripped off, Will ( Freddy the fat frog ) who I bought the bike from promised me that he would cut the side stand mount off a written off frame he has in his shop, I hope he comes good with this as I am a good customer of his, and spent nearly 8k with him
Let's see what his customer after care is like ,
I Will post up pictures of the frame in due coarse
Pete

ashimotok0

• View Profile
I have yet to inspect the frame closely , but at first glance it appears virtually rust free ,the only bummer is the side stand mount is ripped off, Will ( Freddy the fat frog ) who I bought the bike from promised me that he would cut the side stand mount off a written off frame he has in his shop, I hope he comes good with this as I am a good customer of his, and spent nearly 8k with him
Let's see what his customer after care is like ,
I Will post up pictures of the frame in due coarse
Pete
What's he like to deal with Pete? I bought some parts from him via Ebay earlier this year,  off a really low mileage engine and although a bit pricey, they were in excellent condition,  shipped fast and free and well packed. But if I ever email and ask a question I never seem to get a reply (and No I did not call him 'Freddy'  ::)). Great news on that bottom end though you must be really pleased. BTW I scrapped a K7 frame but kept part of it to make an engine stand. Not sure if that would fit or if the side stand mount is still on the bit I kept but if so you can have it for free.

Cheers ..AshD
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:13:33 am by ashimotok0 »

UK Pete

• View Profile
Thanks Ash thats good of you, however i got an email from will  ( freddy the fat frog ), saying he will cut the piece of frame for me and send it to me
so that speaks volumes to me, he is definetely one of the good guys, a pleasure to deal with and talk to, i think he gets so many emails some of them slip through the net, i was emailing him and he was replying from the IOM TT, so i was lucky, i would definetely recommend him he sells some really good rare stuff, as for his prices they are in line with market value , he is running a business and like all of us wants to maximise profits so prices correctly, what did you buy from him?
pete

ashimotok0

• View Profile
Thanks Ash thats good of you, however i got an email from will  ( freddy the fat frog ), saying he will cut the piece of frame for me and send it to me
so that speaks volumes to me, he is definetely one of the good guys, a pleasure to deal with and talk to, i think he gets so many emails some of them slip through the net, i was emailing him and he was replying from the IOM TT, so i was lucky, i would definetely recommend him he sells some really good rare stuff, as for his prices they are in line with market value , he is running a business and like all of us wants to maximise profits so prices correctly, what did you buy from him?
pete

I got some top end parts from him from a 1600 mile only K2 motor he parted out. I suppose you are correct, he has a business to run and sounds like he doesn't suffer fools gladly. My question to him was to look out for some early diecast crankcases for me as mine are replacement cases with no VIN stamping, replaced under warranty, I believe, due to chain breakage. I emailed him twice but never got a reply. Perhaps I should have phoned him instead.

Cheers ..AshD   BTW I still have plenty of the hard to get O rings for the Oil pump if you need a couple. they are in Viton (75 ish Shore A hardness)

Cheers  ... AshD
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:07:40 am by ashimotok0 »

UK Pete

• View Profile
Ash i will take you up on the pump 0 rings, i could do with two sets, k0 and sandcast will need them,  pm me what you have and cost please
BTW how is your k0 resto going? and a set of unstamped cases will not detract from the value, everyone knows the early problems honda had with chain breaks, you could stamp up a strip of ally cut to size with your case numbers and glue it on the number pad then its reversable, and if you sell you can remove or explain its nothing sinister
pete

ashimotok0

• View Profile
No problem Pete you can have them for free. I also have somewhere the ones ChrisR uses on the cylinder head to give additional sealing, I think he used them on your K1.
Sounds like you other half is a very understanding lady like mine  ;D

Hope to get mine done this year Pete, I was 'out of sorts' for a lot of the last two years but I am back on the case now and I also want to get my '69 K0 CB250 finished this year  too. Not sure about the wheels on the 750K0 though. I have a pair of NOS rims with the 'verbage' on them and new DSS spoke
 kits  and also a really nice genuine K0 wheel which the rim will definitely re-chrome OK. Problem is the rare rolled rear rim though or even a decent K1 style. People on ebay just ask silly money for them and I did buy one once from the US but the guy never shipped it and I had to get my money back from Paypal.

BTW the wheel you got from 'Freddy' looks like a later wheel, as it has the sprocket guard  disk thingy on it.

Cheers .. AshD
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:02:30 am by ashimotok0 »

UK Pete

• View Profile
Ok guys a bit more progress, i washed the crankcases in my parts washer, then pressure washed them, dried them in the oven , blasted them clean getting rid of all that thick black paint, then pressure washed them again, oven dried them blew them through with an air line, washed them in thinners and masked them ready for spraying

kmb69

• View Profile

4pots1969

• View Profile
Good job Pete!!
I see that there is an enormous motivation...

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Those cases have cleaned up really nice
Yabba Dabba KP