Honda CB750 Sandcast

French reviews

DW69K0

• View Profile
The PP Sandcast show in theses articles has a different master cylinder than the Vic World PP that recently sold.
The master cylinder is taller and looks like the early production type.
Duane

DW69K0

• View Profile
Notice that the bottom gas tank trim has the black stripe in center on the trim, same as VW PP bike.
Duane

kp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks to be the same master cylinder as the VW bike to me
Yabba Dabba KP

CBman

• View Profile
This is not VIC PP bike. This is EU type PP bike, but I think it is not gold UK bike. I think thhere were 2 gold bikes, or the first UK one was modified later.

Riccardo

• View Profile
The rear red light appears to be UK model.
The bike has the lower handlebar and the higher regular (not oblique) master cilinder.
Problably the bike was modified for the french market.
Riccardo
Your Italian friend.
737/940 Restored
1081/1362 Preserved
1256/665 Restored - ex Owner: Chris R.
10253/10315 (K0) Next project
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III low ign cover - Restored
1969 - Kawasaki H1 Mach III high ign cover - Restored
1971 - Kawasaki H1A - Restored
1973 - Kawasaki H1D - Preserved
1973 - Kawasaki Z1 Blackhead - Restored
1971 - Norton Commando SS - Preserved
1978 - Honda CBX - Unmolested Museum Quality
1988 - Honda CB 400SS - Unmolested
1997 - BMW R80 GS Basic - blue frame - Museum Quality
2007 - BMW HP2 Megamoto - blue frame - New

hondasan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The first (Moto Review) feature dated March '69 is of an unmodified late pre-production bike, to the same spec as the VW Blue one recently sold. Whether it is the Gold one or Green one which came to Europe is near impossible to work out.
A date for the other feature would help. The Gold one was modified sometime after the April '69 Brighton show  and before it was UK registered and sold off in September '69, exactly as per the bike in this second feature (lower bars, production style master cylinder, UK spec CB450 black bomber painted rear lamp bracket and UK oval rear light).
The Gold one is quoted as having spent time in France after Brighton and before returning to the UK to be road tested on the Isle of Man mid '69 (see Motorcycle Sport magazine test dated August '69) . So this may well be the Gold one, or maybe the Green one was similarly modified. For some reason the Gold one also had (and still has) more pointed (C50) front winker lens' than standard CB750. The curious thing is the French license plate fitted, or maybe a temporary plate had to be used to enable road testing in France?

There was only one Gold bike, nor were there European spec pp bikes. The changed appearance was carried out locally. There is also a great colour shot of the modified Gold bike on the cover of a Norwegian magazine feature published in '69.

The above is my view on things based on available features and recollections, and having been fortunate to be able to see the Gold bike, and discuss its history with the current owner (who was also at the Brighton Show in '69), and also meet briefly with the Honda employee who carry out the '69 modifications of the Gold pp bike.

Cheers - Chris R.
Chris R.
302/338

4pots1969

• View Profile
This is not VIC PP bike. This is EU type PP bike, but I think it is not gold UK bike. I think thhere were 2 gold bikes, or the first UK one was modified later.

I agree with you John and I think that there was well two CB750 pre-production of Yellow color Candy with the bands of gas tank gold in Europe. There are differences of parts on motorcycles in the tests of the various French magazines of the Spring, 1969, which would prove that there were two well very different motorcycles...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:06:59 pm by 4pots1969 »