Honda CB750 Sandcast

Interpret my Engine Number

Sam · 20 · 6888

greggo325

• View Profile
No matter the consensus here, it will be up to the CHP officer who inspects Ujeni's VINs during the registration process. 

DW69K0

• View Profile
To me, the top outline of the number 1 is clearly the original stamp font because of the tail on the top left side of the number. Maybe someone dropped something heavy on the case at some point which left a dent that looks like the top of the number nine.
I have two engines with multiple nines (9) stamped in them and both engines have very distinct 9 ovals in the top of the number stamped.
Just my thoughts,
Duane

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
yes, i believe also the original stamped number is a 1.  although, by general appearances, the loop does "appear" as honda 9 font. 

without verifying the origin of the loop, the loop is a puzzle is a puzzle.  and it's unlikely the origin can or will ever be verified as factory or not. 

without the loop, the digit IS distinctive of honda font 1. 

it's conjecture if the loop is an accident or if the loop is honda font.  with the loop, the number is a 9. 

i would say if the loop can be determined to be exactly same as honda font, it's unlikely the loop was put there by accident or coincidence. 

Over the years, we've seen several factory modified or corrected vins which support Keith's observation which i support. 

until there is more exact comparison and/or measurement of the loop to a factory loop, it's difficult to arrive at a more definite conclusion. 

DW69K0

• View Profile
If the number was meant to be a 9, the spacing between the 2 and 9 is very very close and the outside hook of the 9 almost touches the 2, so the stamp would have to be off the normal stamping spacing, though I have seen some abnormal stampings on other cases. Too me this is another district feature of the font in question.
Duane