Honda CB750 Sandcast

Leaking Carburetor

DW69K0 · 7 · 2404

DW69K0

• View Profile
I have rebuilt two sets of Sandcast carburetors, and about two years after the rebuilds the carbs have both started to leak fuel when parked after a ride. I always shut my fuel petcock off when parked, but do not drain the fuel systems during Winter months. 

Am I setting the floats levels wrong or this problem resulting from the gasoline (petrol) quality with high ethanol contents in today's fuel?

Is this something other members experience?

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks,
Duane

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Duane
I just went through this problem. If I remember correctly Mark had looked into it and suspected the float valves had build up or corrosion. Sure enough when I rode 5383 she leaked from 2 carbs. I added Sea Foam to the fuel and after one tank the problem is gone. I use Ethanol Free fuel in everything I own, plus add Sea Foam to my bikes and small engine fuel just as a precaution. I have taken carbs apart from engines using ethanol fuel. They get a green build up in them. Terrible fuel that Ethanol stuff! The Ethanol attracts water.
[size=

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
as Wayne says, very most likely float needle valves leaking.  your float level adjustment would have to be really off, to overflow out of carbs.  if carbs were not leaking before and now they are leaking, i can't imagine anything but gas getting past the float valve's needle & seat.  i use small industrial wooden Q-tips lightly dipped in Simichrome, insert cotton tip in to needle seat, spin the Q-tip between my palms.  or, at least i used to...  what i actually do, is chuck the wooden shaft of Q-tip in my Dremel and w/ light pressure shine the seat.  with the crappy gas nowadays, if the bike sits any small length of time, debris can form from gasoline degradation, particularly where ethanol is part of gas.   and, i have seen on numerous occasions, new Honda needles and seats leak.  when i have carbs off, i always bench test them overnight to be certain the float valves are not leaking.  and i do not set up carbs by float level, but by fuel level.  i know some guys only use float level, but in my experience if you want to know exactly what level the fuel is rising to in the bowl, then fuel level is the best accurate measure.  

if carbs sit over winter months in a non-temp controlled environment, it is even more likely fuel will degrade, and debris will form in carbs. A gas stabilizer should be used.

DW69K0

• View Profile
I also bench test my carbs and leave them overnight after a rebuild, so I was hoping there was no way the floats could be off, but was wondered if the ethanol could have junk building up around the float.
The problem is more than likely the float's needle valve & seat gumming up and makes more sense that over time this is causing the issue.
I keep my bikes in a heated, about 55 degrees F, heated garage in the winter.  I live in the midwest and it's almost impossible to find fuel without  blended ethanol.
Do any major US oil companies sell non-ethanol blended fuels today.
Thanks Wayne & Steve for your input & thoughts.
Thanks,
Duane

Wayne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Here is a site that shows where Ethanol Free fuel is available nation wide.

http://pure-gas.org/

If you can't buy Ethanol Free fuel, or even if you can you will thank me after you use this stuff. ;)

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/
[size=

honda mec

• View Profile
I've been using AVGAS 100LL (low lead) available from community airports. My pre 70s bikes run much better on this.

Steve Swan

• View Profile
    • cb750sandcastonly.com
I've been using AVGAS 100LL (low lead) available from community airports. My pre 70s bikes run much better on this.

ditto that.  i ran 20 gallons 100LL through 2157; mixed 2:1 w/ 85 octane ethanol free.